Tyler Acoustics Woodmere Floorstanding Speakers

This is a large speaker that would be best suited to larger rooms to reach their full potential. They throw a huge soundstage! They each use a 1" Seas millennuim tweeter, two 7" Seas magnesium midranges and two of the new state of the art 10" Seas aluminum cone woofers. This driver has the grey magnesium coating and solid copper phase plug. Hovland caps and Alpha-core inductors are used in the critical signal paths. Cardas internal wire and Cardas tri-wire binding posts are standard equipment.

Submitted by trumphair a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2006

Bottom Line:
After owning the Woodmeres for little over a year. I have to say they are a pretty awesome speaker sonically and visually. I would consider my room size in that medium catagory so it wasn't a snap to get them to sound right. If you don't sit back at least 8-10 ft. The woofers won't integrate as well thus making it sound small. I am amazed how much bass these 2 10's can provide. They sound more like 2 12's. These SEAS EXEL 10's have good speed, depth, and musicality. I think the mids and highs are improved from the highly regarded Linbrook line.
The Woodmere has an impressive 3D sound that you would think is only possibly with an expensive monitor. I never heard this SEAS Millenium tweeter sound this open and airy. If your looking to upgrade your current Tyler speakers or just want s big speaker that is a true high end performer you can't go wrong with the Woodmere. I'm not planning on selling these speaker real soon.

Purchased At:   TA

Submitted by jb0194 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2004

Bottom Line:
My Woodmeres arrived well-packed and thoughtfully strapped to a wooden palette, which I greatly appreciated given their size and weight. No need to worry about ham-fisted freight carriers here!

The cabinetry is very impressive from the first glance. With dozens of veneers to choose from one is sure to find the right pattern. My choice of wormy maple exceeded my expectations! The enclosures are solid as a rock. The Seas drivers, to me, are among the few high end designs that you WANT to show off without grilles. Ty's decision to do so with the Woodmeres thus makes both acoustic and visual good sense. Front porting also was a well-considered feature, allowing much greater flexibility in room placement. Mine needed to be only 18 inches from the front wall, impossible with most rear ported loudspeakers. There is no audible port noise. The Woodmeres are tall, but have a very slender footprint and do not dominate the room at all. Rather, they blend into my room's furnishings better than any full size loudspeakers I've had in my home.

What about the sound? I now have completed about 500 hundred hours of break in and can say that, quite simply, the Woodmeres produce the most natural musical reproduction, bass through treble, that I've ever heard. And they do so at all volumes, something I've never heard before. While they retain incredible fidelity of tonality, imaging and soundstage at 90+dB volumes, I did not buy them for this purpose. They are used in my living room system, as often for background music as for "dedicated listening" and at low to medium volumes. Their performance in this use is nothing short of astounding! The Woodmeres play with an ease that is hard to describe. The bass at low to medium volumes is both clearly audible and articulate, blending seamlessly with mids and highs in a way no subwoofer-augmented audio systems I've ever heard can do. With the associated equipment I use (ModWright Signature Truth Sony 999ES CDP and Coda-Continuum Unison 3 Ultra integrated amp)the Woodmeres are utterly non-fatiguing. And the total cost of this system is less than other loudspeakers alone that are in the Woodmeres' class.

Quite an achievement, Ty!

Price Paid:    $12000.00

Purchased At:   Factory Direct

Submitted by sigmund01 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2004

Bottom Line:
The Tyler Acoustics Woodmere are a large full range, and I mean full range, loudspeaker that have surpassed my expectations. I previously owned a pair of Wilson WITT series II, that werer great performers, but after eight years, I decided I needed a change. What attracted me to the Woodmeres was the design philosophy, parts quality and Ty himself. I went out on a limb and bought these babies sight unseen or heard. Ty was great to deal with and fun to talk to. When I had my Wilson speakers I listened about twice a week, now I listen with excitement nearly every day (not getting much done lately). The speakers throw a huge deep and detailed sound field. The Wilson speakers are kind of dark sounding by comparison, if yoiu can believe that. The Melenium tweeter is incredibly detailed and smooth. In general the Woodmeres are much more articulate and full of information than the Wilsons. The transient speed is so good I have to remind myself tghat I am not listening to quads on steroids. The base is deep and defined all the way down. The only coloration is that of the musical palate. They are incredibly revealing of poorly recorded material. There are no artifical mid bass bumps etc. to warm things up, they tell it the way it is. The Woodmeres seem to be very insensitive to placement. The soundstage is very tall and the sweet spot large. They are the closest thing I have heart to live music in a home audio speaker. These speakers sound great at whisper levels as well as very loud. I have the outboard crossover, which I highly recommedn for sound and versatility reasons. The build quality is excellent and the drivers and crossover components are as good as it gets. They are big but "handsome" as I was told by a female friend, therefore pass the female scrutiny test. All in all, these speakers are fun to listen to, always presenting as a new adventure with each new piece of music. I think it will be a long time before an upgrade will even be considered.

Purchased At:   factory as factory d