Tyler Acoustics System 9 Floorstanding Speakers

Affordable World Class Loudspeaker

Submitted by teikinas a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2005

Bottom Line:
My friends and I are sitting here listening to a Laverne Butler CD on my new Tyler 7Us and they cannot believe how good these speakers sound. My have the Seas Millennium tweeter. These speakers do a number of things very well. First and foremost the tweeter is detailed without sounding harsh. I have another pair of speakers which have the Focal TCD 120 tweeters. Very detailed, but annoying at higher volume levels. The piano is especially well re-created. These speakers also have just about the best mid range I have ever heard. As all the other reviews state, these speakers just disappear. I believe that these small floor-standing make a GREAT alternative to bookshelves. Same foot print, with all the advantages of a larger speaker.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by marjon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is an update to my earlier review on the Tyler Acoustic 7U loudspeakers. I've owned the 7U's for over two years now and have upgraded virtually every other component. With every upstream upgrade came an improvement in the sound of the 7U's. I've also tweaked my system with Mapleshade & Herbies anti-vibration accessories.

With the speakers having time to break in, the component upgrades, and the anti-vibration stuff, I just can't believe how good my system sounds (with relatively budget priced components).

The Tyler 7U's don't have quite the dynamics, the range, or the bottom end of my friends Revel Studios, but they're not that far off. On most acoustic music, I usually prefer the sound of the 7U's to my friends Revels.

Since my last review, the bottom end has filled in nicely and is now a strength of the 7U's. The imaging is phenominal and the inner detail has improved significantly. The 7U's still pull their magical disappearing act and the sheer musicality of the system has really come together. The 7U's are the main reason.

I have a second system with similar electronics and a set of Meadowlark Kestrel 2 speakers. The new Kestrels
are fine speakers with lovely imaging
and a pretty fair level of detail, but they can't compare to the Tyler 7U's.
(In fairness, the Kestrel 2's also cost quite a bit less than the Tyler 7U's.)

I won't be parting with my Tyler Acoustic 7U's anytime soon. They're keepers and with every upgrade just keep improving.

SYSTEM:
Mistral LE integrated amp
Granite Audio 560 power cord
Music Hall CD-25 w/level 1+ modification
Music Metre Silver I/C's
Granite Audio 555 power cord
Music Hall MMF-5 turntable
Monolithic PS-1 phono amp & power supply
Pure Silver Sound I/C's (to phono)
2" maple boards, brass cones & iso-feet
Mapleshade Double Helix Plus speaker cable
Tyler Acoustic 7U loudspeakers

Submitted by Brian a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2001

Bottom Line:
I special-ordered my 7Us with the SEAS Excel Millenium tweeter instead of the Scanspeak Revelator. I got the outboard crossovers and Analysis Plus internal wiring and jumpers. For those of you who don't know the line, the 7Us have two 6 and 1/2 inch SEAS Excel magnesium mid/woofers flanking the tweeter in a D'Appolito configuration. They are a tower design that is 46" X 10" X 9".
I have only had these speakers for one week. My early impression is that they faithfully reproduce everything your downstream equipment can extract from CDs or LPs and pass along. They are very detailed, transparent and neutral. The bass is the way I like it: fast, articulate, tuneful and solid. Poorly recorded LPs and CDs sound O.K., but well-recorded ones are a revelation.
At this point, I give them five stars, because they are even better than I expected them to be.
I will post a follow-up in about 3 months.
System:
Pass Aleph 3
Sonic Frontiers Line-2
EAR 834P
Sonic Frontiers CD-1
Oracle Delphi Mk.V/Rega 900/Goldring Excel VX
Silver Audio 4.0 and 6.0 interconnects
Analysis Plus Silver Oval to the woofers and Nordost Red Dawn to the tweeters.

Submitted by John a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have always loved listening to music, but I am relatively new to high-end audio. I consider myself a "budget" audio enthusiast. About a month ago I purchased a pair of Taylo 7U's directly from Tyler Acoustics. The 7U has the same drivers as the Reference Monitor but in a tower with a second mid/bass driver (check the reviews for the monitor on this site). The 7U's stretched my definition of "budget", as I've never spent this much before on audio equipment. I can honestly say that I'm very glad I did, as the improvement in sound quality was well worth the money.

The 7U's sound is very detailed, but sweet, smooth and oh so engaging. At moderate volume these speakers sing to you in a seemingly personal way. Played loud, the dynamics are excellent and I have yet to hear a harsh note. The soundstage is large, deep and especially taller than expected. Like most of the reviews point out, these speakers seem to disappear. It's uncanny, but you can't pinpoint where the sound is coming from.

The 7U's highs are light, airy and spacious. The mid-range is as smooth as I've ever heard. To my ear, the full range of a piano is one of the hardest sounds for a speaker to reproduce accurately and the 7U's get the piano exactly right. The bass is a small trade-off, as the 7U's don't go as low as some (35 Hz), but having said that, bass notes are very tight and detailed, with good punch. (Plus with only one month of use they are not fully broken in and bass extension is certain to improve.)

I listen to a lot of acoustic music (i.e. Blues and Folk, plus Jazz combo's) and since I purchased the 7U's, music has really come to life. Male and female vocals are particularly outstanding and I want to re-listen to all the music I have. To put it simply, I LOVE THESE SPEAKERS! If you're in the market for quality loudspeakers that won't break the bank, I strongly suggest you check out Tyler Acoustics (www.tyleracoustics.com). In addition to the quality of the speakers, you won't find a better guy to do business with than Ty Lashbrook. He's one of the truly good guys in the audio business.

Submitted by Robert Cherry a

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2000

Bottom Line:
No doubt you've probably never seen a Tyler Acoustic speaker. I'm the proud owner of 7U's. Furniture quality finish w/gorgeous bird's eye maple. External cross-over in jewel like matte black boxes. Absolutely gorgeous when compared with the finest, i.e., Ariel, Totem, Vienna Acoustics, etc.

These speakers use the finest cones & domes available. The Revelator tweeter (doesn't get any better) and the SEAS 6.5" magnesium cone w/copper phase plug. Again, doesn't get any better. Cross-over parts are all Hovland, Caddock, Solen, Alpha-Goertz, etc. Doesn't get,...well, you know.

None of this would matter is these speakers didn't sound simply...musical. I tend to listen to 50's and 60's jazz, i.e., Miles, Mobley, Dorham, Coltrane, Burrell, etc. Additionally, I listen to folk and rock although I am not a head banger. I especially love Bill Evans, Phish, The Eels, Greg Brown, Kelly Joe Phelps.

If you enjoy this type of music then you would simply love these speakers. They completely disappear. In fact, it is uncanny how you can hear the music but you look at the speakers and get no hint that they are the sound source. It makes you laugh! They play reasonably loud without constraint and are unbeleivably detailed and transparent.

They are driven by SIM Audio 4070se monoblocks into a SIM Audio P-5 w/Synergistic Research Signature II bi-wires. Front end is Classe DAC-1 w/CDT-1. The sound is extraordinary in every respect.

Don't buy this model is you listen to Chorale or large scale classical. They can't do it. But, if you enjoy small, intimate and detailed, you'll likely find nothing better.

I have been an ardent audio hobbyist for over 20 years. I've had stats, tubes, tables, etc. I can say these are among the finest cones & domes I've ever had. At Ty's prices you can't, read CAN'T, go wrong. Plus, Ty is an incredibly sweet and honest person. He deserves to do well.