Tunable Audio TA-1S Floorstanding Speakers

Monitor loudspeaker with a 5.5 inch mid/bass driver and a 1 inch silk dome tweeter.

Submitted by Jim a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2000

Bottom Line:
A friend turned me on to the TA-1s' just after Christmas.
We hooked them up to my ancient (1978) Hitachi receiver just to see how they would sound. The room is 20x20 with carpet and a thick pad over slab-on-grade (Not a pristine listening environment). Neither of us could believe our ears when we fired everything up.
My friend is an experienced audiophile and this test convinced him that the Tunable Audio offerings cannot be beat for several times the money.
This was the first time in my life that words like soundstage and audio image have coincided with sensory perception. I was impressed.
I have since upgraded to an Onkyo TX-DS656 AV receiver and a Paradigm PDR-8 sub and the system sounds incredible for CD reproduction. I am anxious to try out the DTS capabilities with a high-quality DVD (time & money - never enough of either).
Not being overly experienced in the audiophile culture, I won't bore you with an uninformed analysis of this product.
All I know is that I'm spending a lot more time indoors when the weather is good.
With Tunable Audio's pricing and return policy, you can't lose.
I'll be anxious to see more reviews here as these instruments get discovered.
Thanx,
Jim

Submitted by John Staley a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have been searching for a great pair of speakers at a reasonable price for a long time, just cant seem to make up my mind. Most of the speakers sound very similar. After searching and listening to speakers selling at retail stores from price range of $200/pair to $2500/pair. This pair of speakers the TA-1S Tunable Loud speakers probably sound at 2 to 3 levels better then most speakers I listened to. Great smooth sound of bass and not boomy, very real sounding of instruments, percussions and it has great depth. No way in the hell am I going to send this pair back to Tunable Audio. If you are looking for a pair of great speakers and dont want spend a fortune, give these speakers a try.