Totem Acoustic Sttaf Floorstanding Speakers

4.71/5 (24 Reviews) MSRP : $1500.00

It has what you expect from Totem: monocoque crossbraced cabinet with genuine wood veneer on on both sides, hardwired crossover, borosilicate damping (hang the cost!), silvered OFC wiring, and drivers that are not what you can buy off the shelf.

Submitted by Dave a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2012

Bottom Line:
I've heard all the speakers in the Totem line, many times, and even owned a few of them, and the ones that I haven't owned, I've had on loan from my dealer. So let's just say I know Totem pretty well.

The Sttafs are the sweet spot in the Totem line. Walking that fine line between excellent sound, and affordability. Sure, some of the other Totems may actually sound better - the Mani 2's are one of the best speakers I have ever heard, from any manufacturer, at any price point, but they're over 3x more expensive, and you need ridiculous amplification to get them moving.

You can read more about them over here:

Submitted by dlscwby10 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2011

Bottom Line:
Purchased the Sttaf at BBR on Boxing Day for $1295 (msrp $1895 Canadian). I was happy with the price and I'm happy with their performance. Fantastic sound. I will be looking to hook these up to a new amp in the next year or so but for now I'm using a NAD T751 as 2 channel. I'm looking at Arcam, Atoll, or Naim but need to figure out what is best suited for them.

I find most of the reviews spot on. These are great speakers for jazz and such but they don't carry rock very well (I go down stairs and listen to my PSB's when needed). But this with is why I chose these - my music taste has mellowed with age and the Sttaf's are a perfect fit. I listened to B&W (2nd up), PSB. Monitor Audio. Paradigm and others but the Totems sang out to me.

The level of bass and response suits my needs and my musical taste. These babies are best with jazz, vocal and instrumentals. Every note stands out. They are also perfect for those who want to stay with a tower in a limited space (small footprint is the term I believe). I had monitors in the room prior but they just never cut it.

I find these to be very refined speakers and I'm very satisfied with my purchase. If I have a regret it is that I didn't step up to the Hawks ($2995) but for the price I paid I'm happy. Last but not least - Totem's are all Canadian including build in Montreal. That closed the deal.

Submitted by nlc9090 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2010

Bottom Line:
Have paired these Totem Staff with Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated Amplifier. Main source of Music is an IPod played thru the Wadia 170i I Pod Doc and utilizing the Music Hall DAC 25.2

Love the sound staging an imaging of these speakers. Though they do not have the deepest bass i recently purchased a Totem Storm Sub. Now I have the best of both worlds. The imaging and sound staging is still outstanding and now with the Storm Sub I have the bottom octaves cover.

Strengths: Imaging, Fit and Finish, Outstanding sound staging and wide sound field for such small drivers. For this price range nothing can touch the quality of these speakers. Sub included I have a $2,500 speaker system that is unrivaled by anything in the marketplace in this price range

Weakness: A bit light in the bass region but, with the addition of the Totem Storm Subwoofer I now have all the bass I need

Submitted by Bonger a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2007

Bottom Line:
Upgraded to these speakers from the Totem Arros, however after 8 months use, I cannot say these speakers are superior to Arros, just different. Another example of how bigger is not better.

Yes, the Sttafs sound bigger and fuller than Arros, however they lose out in absolute quality of sound. Arros have superior imaging, soundstaging and tonality.

After reading previous glowing reviews, I thought these just might be the last pair of speakers I would have for a while, but ultimately the weak point of these speakers cause me to sell them.

The Good:
easy to drive, good for music & a/v, better detail than the Arros, relaxed sound, perhaps too relaxed (totem calls it "lush harmonics") for some people. The more relaxed sound is not as tonally accurate as the Arros.

The Bad:
the bass was deeper than Arros, it was often too boomy and not tight as the Arros. Ultimately, the boominess of the bass would sometimes divert your attention of what the Sttafs excel at, smooths highs and mids. And this is what caused me to sell these speakers.

One redeeming quality of these speakers is the value. I sold these speakers for slightly more money than I paid for them on Ebay!!

Now, I'm probably going back to Arros or most likely Totem Model 1's.

Purchased At:   audiogon

Submitted by Paul Lemmens a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2006

Bottom Line:
I upgraded my audio gear from NAD to Van Medevoort, a high end dutch audio equipment manufacturer. So, the next step was to look for a new pair of speakers. I had Dali serie Blue "Live" for more than 5 years.

I first noticed, when auditioning, the big sound difference coming from each type of speaker. JM Lab, Focal, ALR Jordan, Dali, B&W, Kef, Hepta, Epos, Mission, Tannoy you name it, and I heard them. They all sounded ok, but somehow the bass was to present, more uncontrolled so to say.
And then I heard Totem Sttaf. Wow.

Controlled bas, plenty of low and a superb mid and high. Subwoofer, not necessary. Save your money. The Sttaf gives plenty, but controlled. The way I like it. Each detail is presented by this speaker. I also heard the Hawk, which generated a bit more fuller sound, but looking at the price tag, the Sttaf is for sure an excellent choice.

Make sure you position them at least 50cm form the back wall, place them on piece of stone with dampeners and you will be treated which a very real / natural sound.

I cannot think of a better pair of speakers for the money I have spend. Euro 1850.

Purchased At:   Goossens Hifi, Echt,

Totem Sttaf vs Rainmaker

I'm putting together a HT/stereo system, and based on what my local dealer has available, I've narrowed my speakers down to the Totems. I'd like to know if anyone has had experience with or been able to compare the Sttaf's against the Rainmakers. These speakers will most likely be paired with a N ... Read More »