Totem Acoustic Mite Floorstanding Speakers

4.88/5 (16 Reviews) MSRP : $600.00

Submitted by HarmonicsReview a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2010

Bottom Line:
Check out my objective review of Mites at:
I'll be posting more reviews soon.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by swamitommi a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2003

Bottom Line:
These are some fine, fine speakers that only continue to sound sweeter over time. As mentioned by so many, placement is exceptionally important with these speakers - gotta have a wall behind 'em, and not too close nor too far. I've had good luck in the 4-6" range. Imaging is stupendous, even at low volumes. My listening room is probably a bit too large for these speakers (or my configuration options too constrained), but these are still among the finest speakers I've listened to. The highs and midrange are particularly wonderful... though the bass is surprisingly strong and accurate. I've found these little monitors to be excellent for jazz, classical, vocals, and some of the more instrument-driven rock. Not so good for hard rock though... perhaps not enough bass extension. While these speakers would probably benefit from a sub for ht applications, most music doesn't seem to require one at all... these little guys hold their own very well.

Purchased At:   Fred's Sound of Musi

Submitted by Kow K a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2002

Bottom Line:
I agree with most reviewers below. Totem Mite are TRULY one of the greatest speakers that are "reasonably priced". Actually, it's nearly a joke that you can buy a brand new pair just for around US $300 now.

The best description of their characteristics is "real and natural", for good or bad. They have no exeggerated response range. Or, to be more adequate, I felt their highs were very slightly aggressive. But I might have needed some break in period though I purchased them for second hand. If it's adequate to say this, they reminded me of the heavenly transparency of Wilson Benesch Act 1 that I had auditioned before. (Do you know how much the pair cost?)

I can recommend a pair to who likes naturalness and transparency more than exaggerated warmth and sweetness.

I owned a pair of Mite and a pair of B&W CDM 1 Special Edition at the same time. I don't say Mite were better than CDM 1 SE, but I can say they had VERY different characteristics. In this match up, CDM suffered from such symptoms, it seemed to me, although their midrange response is second to none.

Finally, I also compared my Mite against BIC DV52si modified by Ed Frias. They were in a good match. But in the end, after a looooong hesitation, I decided to let the Mite go and keep the BIC. But I still miss the vividness of the Mite.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by analoglover a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2002

Bottom Line:
Let me start by saying that all other speakers are “Speakers”; this is, in my opinion, a reference monitor.
Why am I calling it a reference monitor, well it tells you the acoustically weak spots in your listening room, it tells you what is on the recording with an accuracy which I have never experienced before.
Here is an example, I have a Nakamichi LX-5, a three head cassette deck, I had recorded a few songs of “Queen”, on one of the songs the level started to run very very high, I adjusted it, end of story. Now during play back, with other speakers, I never noticed any “Level Drop” of sound in playback mode, but this speaker revealed it so clearly, that I was really really surprised. With help of these speakers, I adjusted the azimuth of the Nakamichi deck, it was so easy to do it with these speakers, and it only took me less then a minute to hear the difference in original source and the recorded cassette.
With these speakers, you do not want to play them at lower volume, because they sound, well, they sound very different, really nice warm, musical, uncongested, revealing, non-fatigue.
I have them for over a week now, they are not even 100% cooked (Break in) yet, and they sound unbelievably great, I have never had speakers like these, I had never heard speakers like these, nor I had enjoyed my music they way I am for the last 7 days or so.
All CD’s sound so great, well all CD’s sound more like an “Audiophile Recording”, I am not exaggerating here. The music emerges in “Steps” and one step does not run over the other, you can hear and “See” all of those musical steps.
Picture this, you are in your listening chair, listening to a, say a rock ballad, music is at its peak, every single instrument is being played at this time, including all the singers, the sound does not “Collapse” at all, nor it gets congested, it remains crystal clear, you can practically count how many instruments are being played and how many singers are there, again this is no exaggeration.
All the CD’s which sound harsh on other speakers, they will sound enjoyable on these, do not get me wrong, it does not color the original signal in any way, but with these TOTEM, you can listen to one cd after another and you will think that why you did not audition these great speakers before.
So are these the best speakers in the world? Well I am not aware of “Best Speakers In the World”,

Purchased At:   American Sound

Submitted by betheri a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is a review for the new Totem Dreamcatcher A/V Speakers (and the new Dreamcatcher sub). The people who maintain this site have yet to put them in the home theatre category (or any category). The mains are tiny (about 11" H, 5" W, 7-8" D). If you liked the Mites you will love the Dreams. They sound quite similar but are shielded for A/V applications. As with most Totems, they excel in the sweet and open (airy) top end. They deliver excellent mids that give you some of the most accurate vocals available from any speaker in any price range. They also give very respectable base for a speaker of their size, especially if attention is paid to placement, but they also work very well with the matching (small) sub (about 12" D & H and 8" W with a 200 watt amp inside). As with all small Totems they image beautifully both for soundstage and depth.
As with all Totems, the build quality is excellent andlooks are terrific. They have four binding posts for biwiring or biamping. Again as with other Totems they require a good amp with good power and current capacity (they are 4 ohm speakers with a rating of only 87 dbl).
If you are interested in these speakers you must be sure they have at least 80 hours of break-in before serious listening. I thought they sounded OK but a little lifeless for the first two weeks but in the last two weeks they have kept me up until 2:00 am listening to music because I want to see how much better everything sounds with them. They have a titanium tweeter and it really seems to open up and sweeten up after 100 hours of break-in.
There is also a Dreamcatcher Centre speaker that is terrific for home theatre.

Purchased At:   Audio Two

Totem Mite monitor speakers

What are your thoughts on Totem Mite to be used as surround sound speakers? Are they good speakers in a HT set up? Will they reproduce enough sonic bliss for music and movies? What I am looking for is a nice detailed sound in a multi channel mode when listening to music and good bass for watching mo ... Read More »

Totem Acoustic - Mite -T centre channel speaker

Hi members, What are your thoughts on the Totem Mite-T centre channel speaker? I listened to it last weekend at an electronics store and I was amazed at its incredible sound quality and the beauty of the product. Would you recommend it and how does it compare to other high-end similar products? Y ... Read More »

Quicksilver mini mite audience 42 compatibility

I curently own a pair of Dynaudio Audience 42 loudspeakers and for 850.00 new (now discontinued) IMHO they were a steal. I drive them with an Arcam A70 50 watt solid state integrated. They sound good together but I want to upgrade to tubes and after reading the reviews on the Quicksilver mini mite 2 ... Read More »

Totem Mite & Dynaudio Audience 52

Who has experience with Totem speakers? My buddy has a pair of their smallest speakers, the Mite. [img]http://www.totemacoustic.com/english/images/photos/mite.jpg[/img] I think they sound pretty good. The sound is quite smooth(I'm not a fan of bright speakers) and they sound much bigger than t ... Read More »

Koss M105plus Dyna*mite series speakers?

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone know the statistics of these older (maybe) koss m105plus speakers. They are actively powered, and deliver good clarity. I actually purchased them from a garage sale for $15 cdn. I'm running them passively from a sansui 9090 receiver, which also powers a set of tec ... Read More »