Totem Acoustic Hawk Floorstanding Speakers

5.5" extreme long throw woofer has non-resonant cone and dust cap, dynamic linear suspension for maximum airflow, and patented magnet system. 1” alloy dome tweeter has a flexible linear suspension and special low resonance chambered unit, <35Hz-21kHz ±3dB, 6 ohm impedance, 86dB sensitivity.

Submitted by George Darling a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2012

Bottom Line:
My review is based on a house fire caused by an electrical short in the attic. I have full replacement coverage, and I called my stereo pro to modernize my system. My wife HATES the size of my past (toasted) equipment. This prior equipment is comprised of 25 years of consistent love of listening to music first, then understanding the importance of killer sound from good movies.

Prior to the fire, I had a Denon 5803 powering my Snell C/V front speakers, Snell center, and matching rear Snell THX speakers with a M&K sub. Loved this system.

I call my stereo guy, and tell him the bad news. (Good news to his company). My first Snells were the type E, two way speaker. No matter how much I spent on other Snell's, I missed the simple E series. My brother in law has them now, and they have given us over 25 years of service with just a driver replacement, and they sound great.

Paul at LMC tells me to get the following:
Marnatx 7005 7025 7055 amd tjeor 5005 universal player with the Totem Hawk towers, Tetem TAC in cealing 8" surrounds and a REL T9 Sub.

I have friends with killer systems, and trust me, unless you are cranking music, these Totem Hawks are one of the best speakers I've ever enjoyed. Clean with awesome staging. Best staging I've heard from a two way speaker, maybe the best I've enjoyed at lower volume's.

These are not high decibel rock and roll speakers, but play all my music with clarity. My daughters boyfriend put on a CD, and I heard some clipping on the driver, but it was loud enough prior to his hefty finger on the RTI Tc2 remote.

Love these speakers.

Submitted by Waroroses a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2012

Bottom Line:
Not the most efficient, but these really sing. I use with a Pathos Classic tube hybrid and I feel like my listening room is a club with live musicians.

Submitted by Phage a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2011

Bottom Line:
I'm pairing Hawks with Naim Audio's Supernait integrated amp and the combination is stunning. The sound is coherent, clear and lively, maybe a bit dark when paired with Naims (just the way I like it). Bass is fast and controlled. It goes so beep that subwoofer is useless (room response is about 32 Hz depending the room of course). Some might say that response is slightly U-shaped meaning that mid range is somewhat less present compared to bass and trebles the way preferred often in the North-America (Totem in Canadian manufacturer). As acustom to Totems Hawks tend to disappear and the listening angle wide e.g. sweet spot listening in not mandatory. I listen to various kind of music ranging from rock to fast death metal without any problems.
Be sure that you won't place them too close to the wall or in too small room due to huge bass response and the placement of the response elements, I tried them in a small room and woke up room modes you wouldn't believe.
Overall they are great value for the money, design is very neat and fits to most living rooms (great WAF index). They are smaller in the real world than often thought by the pictures. If you have small children in the house, be sure to stabilize them with sand etc due to three-point claws (there are 3 metal ball under the claw and they are not the most stable floor standers unless filled for extra weight).

Submitted by Rassy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2011

Bottom Line:
I bought the Hawks to partner a Plinius 9100, but soon upgraded the amp to the 9200. I have a Bel-Canto CD-1, Stereovox XLR cables, a Inspire Eclipse T/T with Rega RB1000 and Shelter 901 with a Whest Two phono amp.
I've used Chord Epic, and now Rapport speaker cables. All were bought second user or ex-demo.
Recently, I have had a revelation in the sound, and I can only ascribe that to the Hawks (and the rest of the system) "burning-in".
The imaging is superb, the treble is airy, the midrange crystal clear and the bass superbly taught for my liking.
I cannot recommend them highly enough.
Listening to Adele's 21 album recently, I did not realise how low they could go. Wow, she's in the room!

Submitted by makker67 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2011

Bottom Line:
For 9 years I have been listening to a setup (Classe, Primare amplification) with B & W speakers (CDM7SE, Nautilus 804, 805 Signature, 804 S) but I always felt "something was "missing" but I could not put it into words.
A couple of months ago I visited a friend who had just bought a new set with Naim electronics and Totem Sttaf's. I was astonished by the brilliant sound (especially the fantastic bass response) of the configuration and I decided to look for Totem speakers for myselfl. I ran into second hand Totem Hawk's and decided to give them a try. Since the moment I hooked up the speakers to my components, I have diffculties to get to work and to leave the house for social and other activities. I am addicted to my Hawk's and even my wife is happy because she finds the Totem a much more acceptable piece of furniture, compared to the relatively big B & W's.
Totem is mij speakerbrand now. I don't think that'll ever change.

A DVD REVIEW: BLACK HAWK DOWN - SUPERBIT EDITION (Columbia/TriStar)

[b][i]LEAVE NO MAN BEHIND[/b][/i] [b][i]"ONLY THE DEAD HAVE SEEN THE END OF WAR"[/b][/i] -Plato In the midst of this "Superbit sale discussion madness," I took this first title I ever purchased in Superbit flavor off the shelf last night to revisit and review. Some say this is Ridley Scott's ... Read More »

Lost Boys SE & Black Hawk Down Superbit

After purchasing one of my favorite vampin' out films of all time (well, just about next to John Carpenter's Vampires), the Lost Boys, for a real, real cheap price for the one-disc, featureless DVD from Warner Bros, now I read online that Warner is releasing a two-disc Special Edition of the film at ... Read More »