Thiel CS1.6 Floorstanding Speakers

• 1-inch thick cabinet walls for extreme rigidity
  • Two-way floor-standing loudspeaker

Submitted by goodlistener a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2004

Bottom Line:
Balanced, effortless sound. Small footprint; no need to pay extra for accompanying speaker stands. I like the design.

Solid, beautiful workmanship.

Can listen for hours and hours without fatigue. I bought these shortly after they were introduced and have been totally delighted with my choice.

Worth seeking out to evaluate prior to making a purchase!

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   Audio Consultants

Submitted by DMolisher a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2004

Bottom Line:
This is definitely one of THE BEST loudspeakers available for under $4K. Paired with a good subwoofer, such as any of Rel's ST series, it offers sound reproduction approaching that of Thiel's own landmark CS2.4 (which I think is competitive with most any speaker south of $10K).

If you like dark, lush sounding speakers, though, Thiels are NOT for you. They are extremely revealing with airy highs, lightning-quick transients, and pitch-black silences.

Their main weakness is a total lack of low bass response (below 48-53Hz). I *loved* them with paired with a Rel Strata III (or Martin Logan) sub, yet I would not have even bought them without a sub (since I like a fair amount of bass in my floorstanders). In fact, even PSB's new Platinum M2 (and older Stratus Mini) *stand-mount* speakers offer more bass to my ears. However, what bass the Thiel CS1.6's DO have is excellent, and I really appreciated the fact that when asked to reproduce sound below 48Hz they simply seemed to ignore that part of the signal, in contrast to many speakers that can get very sloppy, boomy, or compressed sounding in such circumstances.

I recently upgraded to Thiel's cS2.4, which is better in most every way (except for the much larger size), esp. in the bass (no sub required). But, honestly, for my purposes (double duty for both music and home theatre, with a sub on hand), the CS1.6's were a much better VALUE for money (with much higher WAF). There wasn't much to complain about, really; if I had originally ordered the nicer wood veneer (black was much cheaper then), I might not have upgraded (to cherry CS2.4's), honestly.

Purchased At:   The Sound Concept

thiel CS1.6

I'm planning to buy a new system: what I have in mind is an Ayre CX-7 CD player with Ayre V-5XE and K-5XE amp/pre-amp, and Thiel CS1.6 speakers. However, a local shop advised that the Thiels - although they're a good match for the Ayres - need a lot more space around them than is available in my liv ... Read More »

Quad 22L, Monitor Audio Silver RS8, Thiel Cs1.6 ??

Hello everyone, been listening to lots of great speakers and have come up with a few favorites in my price range ($2000US): the 22L, RS8, and CS1.6. These have been the best to my ear for soundstage and clarity. Unfortunately, they didn't seem to handle rock/metal recordings - especially at louder v ... Read More »