Tekton Design Model 6.5 t Floorstanding Speakers

• 92dB sensitivity
  • 110dB maximum output

Submitted by abcxyz a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2011

Bottom Line:
I love these speakers! I have sold off my 2-way Vandersteens after hearing the Tektons in their place for 2 months now. From the get go, they sounded a tad more resolving and clearer than the Vandersteens. In the bass department, the Vandies do go lower but only if you play them louder than normal listening level. At nights, I play my music low and to me both kinds of speakers sounded very similar except the Tektons were more resolving. The Vandies are 90dB and the Tektons are 92dB but the Tektons did not sound any louder at the same level on the volume knob as the Vandies. I have my Tektons on 24 inch Target stands and they look and sound great. Al though they are rear ported, they never sound boomy even if I play them real loud!
Finally, i never had a need for a sub with the Vandies nor now with the Tektons. The Tektons are so well balanced. They are not dominant in any part of the sound spectrum yet are very clear and detailed in the highs, mids, and lows. Sitting in the sweet spot, they sound just like time aligned speakers do.
Though I immediately like them in the first 5 minutes that i heard them, I waited these 2 months to see how they would do over time and I am extremely happy with them and though i rotate my amps between an all tube amp and a hybrid amp separates, the Tektons and my turntable always stay in my main system!

Submitted by AUDIOMIKE67 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2010

Bottom Line:
IT IS A PRIVELEGE TO HAVE A PRODUCT THAT IS HAND-BUILT FOR YOU. THE DOWNSIDE TO THIS IS MOST OF US CAN'T AFFORD TO DO THIS MOST OF THE TIME. INTRODUCE ERIC ALEXANDER, HERO OF THE OPEN BAFFLE DESIGN AND HIS HIGHLY-REGARDED 4.5 SPEAKERS. I BOUGHT THE TEKTON DESIGN 6.5T WITHOUT EVER HEARING HIS SPEAKERS BECAUSE OF THE PRAISE HEAPED UPON HIS DESIGNS. ALSO, IT'S PRETTY COOL TO OWN SOMETHING THAT MANY AUDIOPHILES HAVE NEVER HEARD OF, LET ALONE OWNED.

ERIC CAN BUILD 'EM PLAIN OR HE CAN DRESS 'EM UP WITH EXOTIC VENEERS FOR EXTRA $. I WENT BASIC BLACK WITH NO UPGRADES BUT THE ADDITION OF GRILLES. SIMPLY PUT, THESE ARE THE BEST SMALL SPEAKERS I HAVE EVER HEARD IN TERMS OF IMAGING, SOUNDSTAGE AND ACCURACY. I WILL NEVER SPEND AN ARM AND A LEG ON AUDIO EQUIPMENT BECAUSE THE LAW OF DIMINISHING RETURNS MEANS I CAN GET 90-95% OF THE VERY BEST WITHOUT GOING BROKE. I HAVE NEVER HEARD HARBETHS OR MERLINS, BUT I CAN'T IMAGINE THEM BEING A WHOLE LOT BETTER AT 8X THE PRICE OF THE TEKTONS.

94 dB SENSITIVITY MEANS MY LITTLE CHIP AMP IS PLENTY FOR THESE GUYS. I AM SO EXCITED THAT I WILL NO LONGER BE CHASING MY TAIL LOOKING FOR THE ELUSIVE "JUST RIGHT" SOUND, AS I HAVE FOUND IT.