Technics SB-T200 Floorstanding Speakers

4.2/5 (40 Reviews) MSRP : $110.00

Tower Speakers

Submitted by Charliemurphy127 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2015

Bottom Line:
Picked these up for $40 on craigslist and was seriously impressed when I hooked them up at home. With 2 5" subs and a tweeter they sound pretty nice when hooked up to the proper equipment. Currently have them running in 2 channels on my asus xonar essence stx in combination with the 12" pioneer I have. To keep it brief the sound is great. I mostly listen to music with A tuned to 432hz and they surely shine when doing so. I mean for $40 I have never bought a set of speakers that sounded this good ever. I'm powering it with a sherwood rv4060r which drives these with 100w. Also I've only hooked them up using the low frequency set of wires to my receiver. I heard if you hook up both high and low frequencies they sound even better. Which to me is kinda hard to believe with how they already sound. When I get the Sony STRDH750 I'll be able to power these with 45w more each and it should sound a bit better. Also I'll be able to buy more tower floor speakers like this and have it configured in surround sound.

Submitted by Technics SB-2660 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2012

Bottom Line:
Received these from my grandparents in a shelf system, including a Technics turn table.

Surprisingly shallow sounding. Not much depth at all.

I had them hooked up to a Pioneer Elite 37TX AVR in a 2-channel setup, so easily enough power to drive the 12" woofers. Plus, at 93 db, these speakers are fairly sensitive and easy to drive. Unfortunately, it just isn't that rewarding in an opened up room. Listened to music from CD and Vinyl.

Sound terrible when played loud. Bass is okay, but highs were muddied. Despite their size, I rather enjoyed them at low volume and in a small bedroom.

Submitted by waiphyo a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2011

Bottom Line:
I bought this speaker last week. In excellent used condition. Aluminum woofer is really attractive for this speaker. This speaker is MADE IN USA. I would like to rate this speaker for 4 stars. Mid Quality Tower speaker and everybody effort it. Sound Quality is not bed! But not highest quality. It can produce plenty of bass.
I used this Technics SB-T200 Speaker with my SONY STR-V555ES Receiver. If some one ask me about this speaker, I would like to recommend 80% for this speaker. Because this Technics SB-T200 can NOT produce 100% High-End Audiophile Sound Quality! Thank you!

Submitted by Wai a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2011

Submitted by Rex Aeterna a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2011

Bottom Line:
there is lot mix reviews about these speakers here i see,but i'm going to give my experience with'em.

i drive these with my lovely 1972 Sansui 5000x receiver. my sansui even rated at 60w rms@8ohms it has more then enough power to drive these speakers with primitive force...now about the speakers.

i bought them from a trading post near by my area for 85 bucks in good condition and i was surprised when i got'em home and hooked them up. they have wonderful natural sound and i don't find it lacking in the midrange at all. very full bodied and airy and has wonderful placement in the soundstage. wonderful with piano,violin and female voices. highs extend pretty well without ever sounding harsh.

now if i want to have some fun and in the mood i just crank up my bass knob on my sansui and play some dubstep or dnb and bass will hit through your chest and shake my room. was pretty impressive for dual 5' woofers on what they can do. overall i'm really impressed for the price i paid.

thing people don't understand there trying to run HT receivers with these speakers. HT receivers are not meant for music at all and lack in the amplifier section for cutting cost for more inputs and features.stick to stereo for music. also it's about room acoustics. frequencies bounce around in the air and anything in your room can alter the frequency response on the speakers or any speaker.

you can't just spend lots of money on speakers and expect them to automatically sound good cause they cost a lot. have to choose a proper room for music listening to get most out of your system. also reason why to some wondering why these might require some good power cause impedance changes with frequencies from anywhere from 0.02ohms to 50ohms. lower the impedance more current it draws and higher the impedance the more voltage swing it needs.

wattage is just a number. if the speaker is sensitive then it can get loud no problem. it takes only 1w@8ohms to hit around 91db for a sensitive speaker. rest of the power is used for dynamics and range of frequencies. i have my knob at only 9'oclock and it fills my whole attic. sound great low listening level.

now the only con i have with these is that when pushed with nice levels of bass they will shake back and forth like crazy cause these suckers can push air. i never had issues with the dome tweeter yet so far so nothing on that but i assume cause i ain't stupid on the dial. now that's done and i'm done blabbing on about other stuff,overall i'm very pleased with these speakers for the price i paid. also remember take reviews with grain of salt cause what i experience doesn't exactly mean you will exactly experience the same thing. take reviews as type of guidance.

Product model year:   2007