Technics SB-T200 Floorstanding Speakers

4.2/5 (41 Reviews) MSRP : $110.00

Tower Speakers

Submitted by Mark a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2017

Bottom Line:
I’ve had these since new - used to run them on an 80’s JVC stereo amp, but now use them as the front channels on my Denon surround receiver, with Denon center, surrounds and sub.

On a flat eq they sound pretty good. Using the Denon audysey system to eq for my room, and then slightly adjust for my preference - crossover at 80hz for these - they sound fantastic. The 5.5” woofers combined with large floor standing cabinets will go pretty low, but still sound better with a dedicated sub.

The tweeters are good enough but not amazing.

One nice feature of these is they can be biamped if you’ve got the setup to do it, or just rely on the in-speaker crossover, and jumper the high/low inputs.

I have one system for movies and music, about 30/70% respectively, so these are a nice upgrade for the denon fronts, which are in my garage on a vintage sansui receiver for podcasts while I work.

For now 20 year old speakers, that have never been abused but lived most their life without a dedicated sub - so were pushed plenty hard - these still sound great to this day. If you can find them for under $50-60 they’re a no-brainer.

Submitted by Charliemurphy127 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2015

Bottom Line:
Picked these up for $40 on craigslist and was seriously impressed when I hooked them up at home. With 2 5" subs and a tweeter they sound pretty nice when hooked up to the proper equipment. Currently have them running in 2 channels on my asus xonar essence stx in combination with the 12" pioneer I have. To keep it brief the sound is great. I mostly listen to music with A tuned to 432hz and they surely shine when doing so. I mean for $40 I have never bought a set of speakers that sounded this good ever. I'm powering it with a sherwood rv4060r which drives these with 100w. Also I've only hooked them up using the low frequency set of wires to my receiver. I heard if you hook up both high and low frequencies they sound even better. Which to me is kinda hard to believe with how they already sound. When I get the Sony STRDH750 I'll be able to power these with 45w more each and it should sound a bit better. Also I'll be able to buy more tower floor speakers like this and have it configured in surround sound.

Submitted by Technics SB-2660 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2012

Bottom Line:
Received these from my grandparents in a shelf system, including a Technics turn table.

Surprisingly shallow sounding. Not much depth at all.

I had them hooked up to a Pioneer Elite 37TX AVR in a 2-channel setup, so easily enough power to drive the 12" woofers. Plus, at 93 db, these speakers are fairly sensitive and easy to drive. Unfortunately, it just isn't that rewarding in an opened up room. Listened to music from CD and Vinyl.

Sound terrible when played loud. Bass is okay, but highs were muddied. Despite their size, I rather enjoyed them at low volume and in a small bedroom.

Submitted by waiphyo a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2011

Bottom Line:
I bought this speaker last week. In excellent used condition. Aluminum woofer is really attractive for this speaker. This speaker is MADE IN USA. I would like to rate this speaker for 4 stars. Mid Quality Tower speaker and everybody effort it. Sound Quality is not bed! But not highest quality. It can produce plenty of bass.
I used this Technics SB-T200 Speaker with my SONY STR-V555ES Receiver. If some one ask me about this speaker, I would like to recommend 80% for this speaker. Because this Technics SB-T200 can NOT produce 100% High-End Audiophile Sound Quality! Thank you!

Submitted by Wai a AudioPhile