Technics SB-CR77 Floorstanding Speakers

3.95/5 (39 Reviews)

3-way, 3 speaker bass reflex, 15" woofer, 2" tweeter, 4" midrange, can handle up to 200W

Submitted by Jim K a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2017

Bottom Line:
I thought they came with 10", 12" and 15". I got the 12" back in 1992 along with
a Kenwood receiver model: KR-A5040.
I feel you can't go to someones house and listen to their speakers, then make judgement without knowing a lot of info. The acoustics of the room (you know all the variables). The receiver or amp. The wire used. Etc. And if the placement is wrong, you can't really move them.
I never turn any common system up past 75%. It will just clip, but before the point you can hear it. This overheats the speaker coil and warps it. The SB-CR77 has internal protection with auto reset.
I was listening to new vinyl. Rush, Moving pictures, Red Barchetta. I was 7 feet away and felt the breeze from the ports.
I like them so much I bought a second set.

Submitted by Marty a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2017

Bottom Line:
Oh dear, I don't enjoy negative comments on products. Especially with so many positive ones here. A good friend of mine invited me over to "check out" these speakers, the Technics SB-cr77's. He kept insisting they had 15" woofers. They are 12". He bragged about great bass and treble, but I didn't hear it. Look, with a 12" woofer (vented) in a box 28.5" X 15" X 10.5" the bass SHOULD be very good. They're boomy. No low frequency heft or foundation. A 2" tweeter is not conducive to great dispersion. The cr77's are rated for 200watts but I wouldn't push it. My friend had a 75wpc receiver and the speakers suffered acoustic traffic jam as the volume was raised. These are not BAD speakers. You might still like the old "west coast sound". If you want really good inexpensive (cheap) sound? Seek out a pair of EPI-100's. They will blow these things away, no lie. I apologize for any hurt feelings. I don't know the model year of these speakers.

Submitted by oli a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2012

Bottom Line:
Tiene un bajo agradable mas no es subwoofer.

Submitted by Lee a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2002

Bottom Line:
these speakers sound good and produce descent bass untill high volume.the woofer cuts out at 75% volume. my old speakers did sound better when turned up high.

Purchased At:   circuit city

Submitted by Brian Stockton a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2002

Bottom Line:
Just got theses speakers and pushing the with a Yamaha htr 5540 and they give good bass response but highs are a might bit piercing. Then again most of the music I listen to is analog recorded cd's like hendrix and such