Technics SB-A28 Floorstanding Speakers

3.88/5 (17 Reviews)

120W RMS - 3 Way

Submitted by Peter a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2014

Bottom Line:
They sound surprisingly good. I guess a lot depends what amplifier you have. I used Denon UD-M50 (35W) and those speakers sounded pretty flat. When I changed for Denon UPA-200 (40W) speakers sound very thick and accurate, bass is moving well!!!

Submitted by choskins a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2002

Bottom Line:
I've been using my speakers for about three years now and I am pleased with there performance. I'm using a amp on these babies thats putting out 150 Watts per channel. I like the sound of these speakers. Although the 12" woofer doesn't move alot, I do get quite a bit of BASS..
They are not the prettiest speakers around but they look o.k and they can take one hell of a beating. The only problem I have experienced with mine is
overheating after a 8 hour party with the amp @ three quarter volume.I'd recommend these speakers to anyone and i'm buying another set for my own use..........For $200.00 Canadian, I can't lose.

Purchased At:   Radio Shack

Submitted by Armageddous a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought these speakers for my birthday, and I agree that the woofer doesn't move. But if you like loud, clear and 'room-fillinf' music.. The infestment is well worth it. I love them, and kickin' with my 10" JBL Car subs on my stereo, I can rock ANY of my neighbours

Purchased At:   Radioshack

Submitted by Richard a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2002

Bottom Line:
Overall good speakers for the price if you like to blast music for parties or other events. There isnt very good sound quality, and they lack bass, which is suprising considering they have 12" woofers. Treble and mids are also not very accurite. Great for maby kids, or to play in loud environments where sound quality will not be noticed.

They were good for the about 3 years or so I used them for, but their use of simply making noise has been exceeded and I got a new pair of Athena AS-F2s to replace them with, now that I realise what good sound is.

Purchased At:   Radioshack

Submitted by Chris Delorme a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
Bought em when I was young and naive, thought they looked sweet and was hyped over the 12" woofers. Originaly had em hooked up to an older NAD amp which kicked out nice bass but has since retired. I've now got them hooked up to a Yamaha RX-V596 which is somewhat bright, without a sub the bass isn't close to adequate, the woofers on the Technics, for 12", don't move. The Cabinets are poor, uneven and light and the screens are the worsts I've ever dealt with. Put aside all of this and we've got a decent speaker for the price. It's a good thing they're 3-way speakers because without the frequency dispersion the tweeters and/or mids wouldn't be able to handle any more range than what they do. All in all I think I got what I paid for and maybe a little more. For a starving student they are the perfect speaker which can and will satisfy most uneducated ears, the perfect "party speaker" we'll say. But if you're looking for a little more then I'd certainly suggest investing in a little more.

Purchased At:   Audio Centre