TDL RTL2 Floorstanding Speakers

4.5/5 (4 Reviews) MSRP : $729.00

Submitted by Robbie a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2012

Bottom Line:
Ok dont where to start apart from OMG. If you see them get them because I previously had a pair of AE Evo 3's and these would make them look rather silly. Punchy articulate bass with a smooth treble. highly addictive sound. Why on earth dont TDL make speakers like this any more. I have got the transmission bug and glad I found these puppies. However be careful with positioning because they need space to breathe. Also dont partner with cheapo equipment because they deserve allot better. They go loud but partnered with an Audiolab 8000c and 8000p set up, the Audiolab's certainly show them who's boss and that's a good thing.

Yes you made read anal reviews about this not being right and that not being right etc etc. But compared to modern day speakers and for the price you shouldn't moan and just enjoy the music. And with these the music is what matters and nothing else. Impressed yes happy yes suprised O yes. That's three votes, TDL your through to next round :)

Submitted by Chris a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought these speakers off a friend, after he upgraded to the TDL RTL3's. I now use these as a replacement to the speakers supplied with my Kenwood stereo. The first thing I found with these, was atmospheric the sound was. The wide sound is impressive, whatever music you listen to. If anything was to be improved about the speakers, it would be to have slightly more bass. Don't get me wrong, the speakers have great bass, but with most speakers, it depends on positioning. I currently have them on spikes directly on a wooden floor, and this gives a tight and controlled sound to the bass.
Many people have listened to them and mentioned on the sound quality, so maybe I'm just being too picky. I'm looking to go into the home cinema side of things, so will keep these as ideal fronts, but will support the bass with a Rel Strata III.
Overall, these are highly recommended for the spacious sound and I have no intentions of parting with them in the near future!

Submitted by aaron a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2001

Submitted by Emile a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 7, 1998

Bottom Line:
At a friends place, I listened to the TDL RTL2 speakers, which are around $600,= together. Amplifier was the Denon PMA-725R ($400,=)and CD-player was the Denon DCD635 ($250,=). Speakerwire was Translator the blue connection with standard (!!!) interlinks.
First thing I noticed was the big sound that comes from such a small speaker... I was amazed. Detailed and a bit overbright sound with plenty of bass and a laid back presentation.

The amp doesn't keep control over the lower frequenties, though, which is a pity. Maybe this is due to a single wire setup instead of bi-wire. The bass is too lose and cannot keep pace with faster rythem sections.

The cd-player, however, is one of the best I heard at the price. Detailed presentation with pin-point accurary where instruments are located. Denon did a very fine job with this one... I dare say that it almost sounds as good as the twice as expensive Denon DCD-1015 with Alpha-processing. A feature that the DCD-635 lacks.

Further more, I can recommend this setup to anyone just taking his or her first steps into audio madness...