Tannoy TD12 Floorstanding Speakers

12" woofer with 1" super tweeter 30Hz - 54KHz

Submitted by Indigofish a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2005

Bottom Line:
Finaly got around to reviewing a pair of TD12's a few months ago, WOW! I'd never really given them much thought due to being a B&W devotee, not anymore. Sure B&W make some superb tranducers but I havn't heard one yet that creates such a musical experience as the TD 12's do. I only wish I'd seen the light years ago. Suffice to say Im now the proud owner of a pair of my very own 12's.

In some ways its thanks to B&W and Avante Garde that I finaly found my audio navana and heres why. I always loved the clarity and bass response of B&W N802's but never really found their dynamics or imaging to be the best in class, sure they were good but hey we're talking about some expensive bits of kit here, my dreams of the perfect sound continued with the next stop Avante Garde, more specifically the DUO's which had amazing dynamic range, superb transient response and sublime detail retrevial but felt they were let down by the intergration between the active woofer and horn sections, so the journey continued till I finally audtioned the 12's and that was it! Awesome Bass, Huge Soundstage, Detail that would be hard to pick from a ribbon, massive dynamic range, startling transient response they have it all! The best combination of talents in a audiophile loud speaker this side esoteric? No question about it!! Simply Brilliant, I dont think I'll ever want another speaker, well not unless Tannoy brings out a TD12 MK II.

Price Paid:    $12000.00

Submitted by Chris Allen a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2003

Bottom Line:
In short, these are some of the most dynamic and fluid speakers I have ever heard. I auditioned the td8`s but could not resist the sheer beauty and size of the td12`s. Not only are they easy to drive but you will be rewarded with a huge totally balanced sound which is as musical as you could wish for.I cannot see myself ever wanting another pair of speakers and I have heard almost everything available in the U.K. They also really suit Nordost cables and have an amazing WIFE ACCEPTANCE FACTOR in spite of their size. My wife has threatened to leave me if they ever go!!

Submitted by Dennis a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2002

Bottom Line:
These are Enormous..!!
Yes they're big, but the sound is enormous too! I thought I was an enthousiast with my B&W's and Sony set but these Tannoy's Bi-amped with Arcam is no comparisson to the old set. The sound is dynamic and pure with all kinds of music. ( classical up to Ragga Jungle!)
I thought B&W went deep but that is nothing compared to these. Listening to these speakers is like re-living concerts!

Submitted by Dennis a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2002

Bottom Line:
These are Enormous..!!