Tannoy Sensys DC2 Floorstanding Speakers

• Stereo and multi channel A/V system solutions
  • Refreshingly uncluttered appearance

Submitted by Jeffry Aston a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2013

Bottom Line:
I bought these speakers 2 years ago for $2,000, and in the beginning i install them on my 2nd listening room.

From the first day i noticed how clear are the mids and lows on these speakers. I mainly listen to pure jazz from flac's but at the same time i'm watching a lot of HT.
After my wife insisted i tried them to our main HT/Listening room, with some very expensive and powerful equipment which includes Theta power amp, 24K i/c's, 6AWG silver speaker cables and had for many years the 8 times more expensive Tannoy's kensignton.

The word "apocalypses" is what describe perfectly my experience. These speakers revealed the full width and deepness of a well recorded movie. The trick as far as i learned is not only the concentric mid-tweeter BUT the very important super tweeter that the use on top.
It's like a thin air of sound conquers the listening area. It's an experience i never had with any other speaker.

I love this speakers and since they are out of production since last year, i believe it's a bargain if you find them used. Tannoy, now asks for more than $4,000 !!! to buy a similar speaker with super tweeter, so if you are serious about your listening grab them with the eyes blind closed, and your ears wide open.

Submitted by Rony a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2012

Bottom Line:
They sound fantastic until the surrounds start to fail with age.
I managed to drop on a set of these Tannoy DC2 speakers last year. The serial numbers show they were built in 2005 so they are still quite young. The sound they made was 1st class and with carefull placement the bass went deep down. (They are rated at 35Hz).
THERE IS A MAJOR MAOR PROBLEM!!! I have never driven them loudly but the speaker surroungs have started to disintegrate! This is a common problem on the older HPD range but I did not expect the rubber on these to fail after 7 years! To date I can find no suitable repair service or replacement surrounds for a DIY job. I spoke to a very helpful chap at Tannoy and they do still sell spares but at about 100 quid each and a bit more for the dual concentrics. Thats a lot a money bearing in mind you can get entire speakers from ebay between £100 - £200. BEWARE they may look and sound good today but, from my experience, I don't think they will last too long before they start to crack up. If you manage to get a more recent pair, you will be surprised how good they sound. If you can get over the querky look and the short life span then go for it.

Submitted by tygermp a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2010

Bottom Line:
i ve bought this pre owned Tannoy Sensys DC2 From Frankfurt for 680 Eur. As i have got some time ago Tannoy Mercury Mx4, i knew this sounds fantastic. Well the problem was i didn't want to believe that you cannot hear SuperTweeter with placing ear nearby. At first i tried many positions of my ear, but no success i couldnt hear supertweeter. So what i did is that i placed towel on supertweeters and sit back to my chair and knew immediately that something is missing. i must say its funny that frequencies that you cannot hear can influence sound picture, but i saw that time that they really do. I use it for stereo only, when i listen to Getz Gilberto or any instrumental or rock and old rock music vocals are so real that i cannot compare this to B&W, Dali, Jamo, Bose, Infinity, Wharfedale or any brand i also have used. I must say bass depends on placing from wall, but is is detailed and not boomy i like it, midlle as i described are awesome, and treble also awesome.
Strenghts: Exclusive finishing, Splendid technology and performance, sure best at its price
Weakneses: Rear bass port need correct placing
Similar products used: Jamo D 590, Bowers&Wilkins CDM7, Bowers & Wilkins DM 603 S2, Dali Suite 2.8, Dali Ikon 7, Mission 775

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by Ash_Godwin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2010

Bottom Line:
I bought these DC2s a few years ago for $300 (AU) dollars, and have been reasonably happy with their performance. The paper bass cone has started to deteriorate recently which is a shame, because it's going to need a rather expensive replacements! The tweeter on top of the speaker is a bit of an issue two, one of the speakers rattled a little at reasonable volumes (it goes off at very loud which is strange)! I fixed the issue temporarily with some silicone gel. Despite the build issues the speakers do sound nice, though the lack of bass might mean you should think about getting a sub.

Overall I'm happy with the speaker!

Submitted by Shane a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2010

Bottom Line:
I heard these and knew I had found what I was looking for. For the money I have never heard anything close to these. Problem with that is that you can never go back to anything less..even shopping for the ultimate bookshelf at the moment is weighed against this standard. Im using an older 2 channel Marantz with them and I really couldnt be happier. I research EVERYTHING I buy prior to purchasing and all I could find were reviews that placed these up with similar equipment nearer to $4 and $5K. I bought the Birch, which is not my most favorite these days. I've thought about selling them to pick up something else...but I just cant seem to find anything that compares for anywhere near the money.