Tannoy S8 Floorstanding Speakers

4.85/5 (13 Reviews) MSRP : $1500.00

Submitted by Mike Boniface a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2007

Bottom Line:
I started to put together a 2 channel system around a McIntosh MC7270 that I found for pretty cheap and stumbled upon these speakers.

A friend I work with also does high end stereo/HT installs on the side. He said he had a pair of these and a S8C all NIB on his shelf collecting dust and would part with them for $500. How could I say no?

First impression wasn't much of a good one. They need a long break in, at least 20 hours to sound decent, and appear to be fully broken in around 100.

Once broken in, they will incredible. Very clear and neutral, tight and accurate bass, excellent sound stage. Unless it's a upgrade to the S10, I don't see myself getting rid of these anytime soon, they're keepers!

Purchased At:   N.O.S. from high end

Submitted by Mike Boniface a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2007

Purchased At:   N.O.S. from high end

Submitted by alan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2005

Bottom Line:
Great speakers for the price I got them at. I used them for my HT and music listening and sound really well. Great deep bass with its 8" driver and really clean sound. I can even watch moives without a sub and still have great bass. Even tho I'm just using a HT receiver, still sound really well for music. I bet it can sound much better and warmer on tube amps.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by travk13 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2005

Bottom Line:
beautiful!!!!!!!
greatest sound ever .. .. vocals imaging wow.. for the $ nothing comes close .. must .. bi wire .. i use a adcom 545 and wow .. amzing .. since grabbing a set of mx1 m bookshelves i thought tannoy was worth giving a shot .. oh wow .. they were awesome then grabbed a dc06 center channel .and was tickled pink no goin dc tannoy s all around in one of my main listening rooms .... tannoy has given me something ive searched for years .. at a reasonable cost..

Submitted by magictooth a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2002

Bottom Line:
Thought I should write a review of these speakers. I just wrote one for Nuance so I thought I should up my karma and write a nice one.

I was looking for speakers about 2 years ago and went to every big box store (Future Shop, A&B, etc) and had a listen to all the brands out there like Bose, Sony, Yamaha, Energy, Mission, etc. I then went to a number of smaller outlets and tried the less mass market consumer oriented, higher end brands like B&K, Paradigm, Axiom, Monitor, etc. I didn't have any price range in mind, but I was hoping to spend less than $2000US.

I finally stopped at a little shop and tried out their Tannoy speakers. The guys were great and very accomodating. I brought in every sort of speaker to A/B and they'd go through and hook them up so we could have a listen. They even let me take home their S8L/R so I could A/B at my place or at some other hi-fi stores. They were pretty confident about their product.

In the end, the neutrality of these speakers made the decision an easy one. I've had the speakers for about 18 months and still no apparent problems. My wife who initially said, "big deal, a speaker is a speaker," finally agreed that she could listen to these speakers all the time. We finally upgraded the receiver and DVD player to Integra DTR and DPS 7.2, and WOW the whole setup sounds amazing now.

I can't really imagine another setup that sounds this good for this small amount of money.

If you're in the market for new speakers, give this brand a try. They're hard to find (I think there's only 50 dealers in North America), but if you can find them, give your ears a pleasant treat.

Purchased At:   Edmonton

Paradigm S8 vs. PSB Platinum T-8

I am considering either the Paradigm S8 or the PSB T-8 for both music and HT application. I have auditioned S8, but not been able to find a local PBS dealer in Va. Beach, Va. area. So I haven't been able to audition them. Although both are Canadian manufacured, does anyone know the tonal difference ... Read More »

Energy C1 - Black / S8.3 Subwoofer

Hello, I have for sale a pair of Energy C1 bookshelf speakers in excellent condition for 140.00 OBO. Buyer will pay shipping. I do not have the original packaging but will bubble wrap them and double box for safe shipping. I will try and make pics available but can't gurantee anything. I also ... Read More »

Monitor Audio S8 vs. G20?

I'm in the process of replacing my stereo system. I just purchased a Yamaha RXV 2500 receiver and I'm interested in Monitor Audio speakers. I listen to rock, jazz, new age...and lots of Tangerine Dream. I auditioned both the MA S8 and G60 (too expensive for me...although they brought tears to my eye ... Read More »

Paradigm S8?

I recently read a review in which someone said that they did not like the way paradigm handled music. I was tossing around the idea of purchasing the Paradigm S8, does anyone here own a pair or have a good evaluation of their music abilities? Any notible concerns? Would appreciate any feedback.-Th ... Read More »

Energy C-3 + s8 subwoofer or cbm-170?

I have Ascend CBM-170s (paid $328) and Energy C-3s (paid $499) + an Energy s8 subwoofer ($399 retail, but thrown in free with the C-3 purchase). I have to return one or the other. I love the Ascends, but my wife thinks they are too harsh. I admit on some recordings, like old analog recordings, parti ... Read More »