Tannoy Revolution R3 Floorstanding Speakers

4.67/5 (33 Reviews)

Floorstanders

Submitted by graham answerth a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2014

Bottom Line:
My review is about the R2s. I have a beautiful QSC power amp and Yamaha O3D mixing desk as its preamplifier. I was recording a rather clever duo using the O3D, and running through old Hecs and Phillips speakers. I could never arrive at a sound that approximated the gorgeous female voice, so I went into an audio store and asked to blind listen to all the high end monitors up to about $4,000 au. I was getting frustrated and then the last, and cheapest speaker was played. Wow, whoopee I thought, this is it. The speakers were Tannoy R2. I bought them, added a brilliant subwoofer, and for the price for under $5,000, I haven't heard better. Jamo are brittle and zizzy!!. Kefs are dull and flat, Bose, while sharp, are tiring to listen to. The R2s are warm, accurate, can take tonnes of input before they even sound stressed. I did have to have a loose driver tightened as it rattled, but that was physical, not technical. Good speakers to me, are not those that you notice, but ones you aren't even aware of, and the source, CD, MP3, Vinyl, DVD are IMPORTANT. So I love my oh so reliable R2s.

Submitted by Alexander Hultgren a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2011

Bottom Line:
hi, i got Tannoy Revolution R3 in Black Ash, they playing verry nice and clean, i just love them so this is a good buy! i had Tannoy onetime befor, i had just one speaker, and that speaker are good to, i dont remember whats the name on that speaker, i gonna have JUST Tannoy from now on! tannoy playing werry good on a harman kardon stereo integrated amplifier!

Submitted by AlexTannoyr3 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2011

Bottom Line:
i got some Tannoy Revolution R3 Floorstanding Speakers, and they play verry nice and clean, i just gonna have Tannoy from Now on!

Submitted by Lord_arasul a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2007

Bottom Line:
The R3 Speakers were the first true high quality speakers I had ever bought (£200), and they are a spectacular purchase. As many of the other reviewers have said, these speakers go loud, have plenty of bass and sound amazing at the price you can now pick them up for, (as I write this review there are two pairs of R3's and the RC speaker up for sale on eBay UK) the speaker cabinets themselves are well made, but not overly heavy and finished beautifully. Unfortunately, the speakers are a little unstable because of the narrow width of the speaker, but as long as you place them on a carpeted surface, the vicious metal spikes will anchor the speaker in place (just don't use them on lino or anything that is likely to scratch!!).

Lately, I have changed my system from home theater to a music, with the introduction of a pair of Kef XQfive's. Having compared the two speakers back to back the R3's sound exceptionally muddy, and don't have the same mid to high clarity of the Kef's. The difference is normally something that I would never have noticed without comparing the speakers back to back and I would have hoped that there would be such a difference having spent £799 on the XQfive's!!

Purchased At:   2nd hand at Global H

Submitted by digby01 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2003

Bottom Line:
i currently own a marantz pm66ki signature amp and matching cd 63ki cd player and after my elderly mission 780se bitten the dust i decided i wanted floorstanding speakers i was sold a pair of kef q35s and got tired of them after a year as they sounded bright and brittle and not a patch on my old 780s although they imaged superbly i then heard about the tannoy revolution r3s and read a review in what hifi magazine and decided to take the plunge as the biggest influence was the person who built my marantz cd player and amp(ken ishuwata)had an input into the making of these speakers so i thought its got to be a good match
Anyway when i got them i set them up and after a couple of weeks running in i was disapointed as they sounded dull and like someone threw a curtain over them so one night out of curiousity i decided to open them up and noticed the padding had been stuffed in so i straightend it out on the inside of both boxes and put them together again and the difference was astonishing but there was still something missing so i upgraded the cables from qed to van den hull cs122 cable and now the sound brought tears to my eyes and for the money i have never heard anything like these speakers they make my hifi sound like a high end one costing twice the price of mine the sound is beautifully balanced being just a touch on the warm side of neutral with a very rich and open sounding midrange and open treble and no matter what the music is they sound great my only gripe is that they dont excite enough sometimes with say rock music and maybe could do with a tad more sting in the treble but other than that these are more than a match for my 10 year old mission 780s and i would recommend these speakers especially if you own the marantz ki signature gear

Purchased At:   sound and vision (ma