Tannoy Mercury M4 Floorstanding Speakers

4.85/5 (13 Reviews) MSRP : $700.00

2-way floor standing speaker

Submitted by Rodrigo a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2003

Bottom Line:
I recently bought a pair of Tannoys Mercury M3 (the first generation of this series), second hand, at $ 270. They seduced me with their soft, warm and natural sound. Every instrument sounded just as it should be, naturally, without coloration. But the bass was a little weak, with a lack of precision. And most importantly, unwanted cavity resonance appeared at some middle-bass frequencies. Soundstage was sometimes good, but sometimes, depending on the music you were listening to, it was very poor.
So I went to the Tannoy distributor in Chile. They had a pair of MX4-M in sale, at only $445. Original price was $647, but they are waiting for the new models to come, so everything is on sale. So I bought them. At this price, it's the best loudspeaker you can get. I don't know if at the original price it's still a best buy, but anyway it's a terrific speaker.
The third generation of the Mercury series has a lot of technical features that improve the sounstaging dramatically in comparison to the old models.
I only listen to classical music (a little bit of jazz sometimes, also). This is the best speaker for classical music, because it respects the personality of each instrument. The sound is always warm, even with instruments such as the harpsichord, wich can sound really too bright and "ear-pearcing" in some loudspeakers (I listened to the Paradigm Esprit and I could not bear to hear the harpsichord for more than 3 minutes).
This is not a very technological loudspeaker, the drivers are simple (no titanium tweeters or alloy cones), but the sound is really natural, well ballanced, and, if I may say so, "elegant". However, I do not recomend it for popular or rock music, I think the sound is just too neutral.

Purchased At:   tannoy distributor i

Submitted by Aftershave a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2003

Bottom Line:
Tannoy M4 are the best speakers you can get for the price. I listened to many brands with my receiver-amplifier (NAD) and the sound is tremendous. I was even able, with my eyes closed, to determine when the Tannoy were playing (Its amazing !) and they are real good for classical music and even for home cinema. A discovery for me !!!

Submitted by tbenschop a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2003

Bottom Line:
What a sound! Warm, open, easy!
With this speaker I can listen for ages to every style of music.
And that for such a nice price..

Purchased At:   Glas Hifi

Submitted by Gary a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2002

Bottom Line:
Believe it or not i puchased these speakers without listening to them!! I had preveously purchased a pair of M2's which were the best bookshelf speakers i have ever heard below £300 to this very day!! Anyway i was not dissapointed with the M4's - infact i was totally stuned by the amount of sound these speakers produced for such a bargain price. Treble is clean and clear without being overly bright. The midrange is a touch of pure class - extreemly detailed - you never feel like your missing out on any soun. The Bass - although is sometimes a little slow with some musical styles is well balanced and capable of some very deep rumbles - trust me on this 1 people as i listen to drum and bass as well as classical etc - so i know what deep basslines are all about. Basically you cant go wrong with these speakers and although its proberably impossible to buy a pair now id recommend any1 to buy these.

Submitted by cpdunn99 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
The Mx4 is an outstanding speaker and marries very well with my higher-end NAD components. I think tubes are better, but I can't affor them! Anyway, after auditioning a variety of set-ups, I opted for these speakers and am very very happy with them.

They have a very flat response, which might mean a lack of warmth for some listeners. I notice that jazz instrumentals and chamber music seem to be ideally suited to these speakers. Listening to solo piano and violin reveals a little lack of something at the high end. I have turned up the treble a notch, which seems to help, but the upper octaves of piano still seems a little "thick" to my ears.

E-mail correspondence with Tannoy indicates that a qualified dealer can tweek the treble, but I'm hesitant to do that! I will say that turning the volume up seems to minimize my complaint (although I'm afraid of my neighbour's complaints!).

Purchased At:   Local audiophile sho