Tannoy Eyris DC3 Floorstanding Speakers

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)

• Core element of sound quality
  • Ingredients of cutting edge technology

Submitted by balloonknot32 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2009

Bottom Line:
I agree with the other review that Tannoy speakers stay under the radar. Up here in Canada as well they don't get as much attention as PSB or Paradigm. Oh well. It has taken me a long time to realize just how good Tannoys are. I've been happy with my PSB speakers for the last 6 years, but my dealer keeps insisting that I try some Tannoys. Well I took him up on the deal.

Tannoy speakers are just so awesome. I'm currently demoing a complete Tannoy Eyris DC speaker package. Have DC3, DCC and the DC1. So far have spent most of my listening with 2 ch with the DC3 and the sound is just perfect. I can hear every detail that every instrument puts out. Vocals are sweet and accurate. These speakers are fast. They can play a accoustic guitar solo as if the player was in front of me. Some people have reported that dual concentrics don't sound good with rock music. Well AC/DC's "Hells Bells" sounded just fine to me. ZZ Top, Rolling Stones, Green Day, Heart all sound great through the DC3.

I am very very impressed with the DC3. Will be spending my time now on some good 5.1 movie soundtracks. If they sound as good as they do in 2 ch I will be blown away. I should mention that the Tannoys are being powered by an Anthem Statement A5 matched to an Anthem AVM 30.

More to come.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by Gasgeek a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2007

Bottom Line:
These speakers definitely fly under the radar. They are under reviewed and under represented, especially in the US. Tannoy is synonymous with pro audio and commercial sound reinforcement throughout Europe and Australia. Only about 30% of their business is based on residential systems. The majority of their business is based on recording studios and commercial installations like the Sydney Opera House.

That being said, I have had these beauties for about 5 months, and could not be happier. I have a friend who owns an AV store, and I started listening to them just because he had them set up in the main room. I became hooked. They replaced my Meadowlark Shearwater Hot Rods, Petral Center and Viero surrounds. Those of you who know speakers, know that the Meadowlarks are very musical and accurate. The Eyris DC3's take it a few steps higher. The combination of the Dual Concentric (coaxial) driver and the super tweeter make the high end just seem to go on for ever. The midrange is very electrostatic like. They just sound like music.

I have the DC3's connected to an Air Tight ATM-1 tube amp for my two channel listening, although they are part of my 5.1 channel HT system, too. I'm using an EAD 8000PRO for a preamp, and the source is an Arcam DV27A. The DC3's are very revealing, detailed, smooth, and extended without being cold, bright, or brittle. No harshness what so ever. The bottom end is very controlled, yet still has balls. Very snappy with no bloat. The Meadowlarks are smooth, but the Tannoy's just reveal every detail without being analytical. Everytime I play a CD or watch a movie, I hear things I've never heard before. They still bring a smile to my face everytime I sit down to listen.

As I said, they are also used as part of my HT system, along with the Eyris DCC center, DC1 surrounds, and my Velodyne F1800RII sub. I use the system for DVD and TV viewing, and I'm just amazed at the overall detail, even when I'm just watching normal television. Concert DVD's are my weakness, and the Tannoy's never disappoint. I get to listen to a lot of high end gear, and I have to say, that IMHO, I would have to spend about 3 times more to hear a major improvement over the relatively modest priced Tannoys.

One of the salesman that works for my buddy also has the Eyris DC3's, and He also swears by them. He has the same HT speaker configuration that I do with the DC3's, DCC, DC1 combo coupled with an Arcam AVR350 and DV139 DVD/CD player, and he swears this system sounds better than his former high end separates and Martin Logan system. When I had my system on order, I borrowed some DC1's and used them as front monitors with my Velo sub. Amazing sound for approx $700 @.

Obviously, speakers are very subjective, but I strongly recommend that you search out a Tannoy dealer, which is not always easy to find, and audition the Eyris DC3's if you are looking to spend around $3-4000 for a pair of speakers. If you're looking for monitors, listen to the DC1's. Speakers are subjective, and these may not rock your world, but you owe it to yourself to audition them if you can.

My system:
Air Tight ATM-1 Amp for mains- Tannoy Eyris DC3
EAD 8000Pro Pre/Pro
Arcam DV27A DVD/CD transport
Aragon 8002 - Tannoy Eyris DCC center channel (biamped)
Aragon 8008 - Tannoy Eyris DC1 surrounds
Velodyne F1800RII - Velodyne SMS-1 EQ
Pioneer Elite PRO 1140HD Plasma
DirecTV HR-20 700 HD DVR
Shunyata Hydra 8
Various Kimber and Nordost cables

Purchased At:   Definition Audio/Vid

They Came!! Tannoy Eyris DC3 review inside (VERY LONG)

My tannoy Eyris DC3 and TS10 sub came!!! And nearly 4 weeks early!! I was so excited yesterday that I literally jumped out of my chair and took the rest of the day off to pick them up. For those who have not read, this is the followup to this thread: [url]http://forums.audioreview.com/showthre ... Read More »