Tannoy D500 Floorstanding Speakers

Submitted by Rupert a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2014

Bottom Line:
As my first ever pair of speakers I do not have a lot of experience from which to speak, however I bought them upon reading the reviews on this very site, all I can say is it's all true. The first thing that strikes you is the fantastic imaging and the breathtaking mid-range and highs. These speakers shine with all types of music and are forgiving of poorly recorded tracks but make the best of great ones too. It is easy to forget you are listening to speakers sometimes such is the quality of their vanishing act.

The bass is accurate but not especially punchy, I found that it improved markedly with some room treatment and amplifier upgrade, they certainly need a good amount of current to work to their best. At the moment I am using a Marantz PM7000 but plan to upgrade in future. I have heard a system which cost over 100k and all I can say is that it was not the game changer I was expecting. If you put the time into matching your system and treating your room these are very special indeed. I am sure there are speakers out there that are superior but I have yet to hear them, would love to try the Tannoy Prestige line and Living Voice speakers in future, but for the time being I am very happy with my purchase, as i'm sure anyone who loves music would be too.

Mhdt Havana DAC
Marantz PM7000 Integrated amp
Straightwire Octave Cable

Submitted by irose a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have the speakers for about 5 months by mow, and over the so many components I replaced in my system, the D500 are the most significant in terms of overall listening pleasure.
Once you feed them with a good Amp you could hear one of the best mids and highs
in any speaker.
The bass is not that punchy and strong, but very accurate.
This speakers let you enjoy music for hours without getting the fatigue effect.
Oh, and they are very beautiful built.

Purchased At:   local dealer

Submitted by Russell Garrett a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought them used, in good condition.
The Tannoys are a real gem. Highlights are everywhere. The captivating design is elegant and the worksmanship is simply perfect.
They are not very picky about amplification, as I found out, but still, I got my best results only after having upgraded to a Krell KAV 300 integrated.

I can't define any particular strengths as everything is on the positive side.
The sound is truly natural with real sweetness and levels of detail you will find in speakers that cost twice.
You will find the low-end not only to be accurate, fast, and dynamic but sufficient for any type of music whatsoever. Extremely pleasing.

The soundstage is fully three-dimensional, locating the speakers without seeing them is almost impossible.
Put them in a large living room with a high ceiling and the sound is astounding.

The dual-concentric driver makes them sound very accurate, just like electrostatic loudspeakers. The sound starts stops exactly when it should, without any delay.

If you can still get your hands on a pair, don't hesitate. This is true high-end at an affordable price. Upgrading from here on would be very difficult.

I'm looking forward to bi-amping them in the near future.

Submitted by yhlbb a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2002

Bottom Line:
A beautiful speaker that sounds very good. The imaging and bass are excellent. The build quality is first rate. This is the best $1600 I have spent on my stereo system. My McIntosh MA6450 integrated amp works well with the D500s. Together with the SONY DVP S7000 CD/DVD player, the system produces very warm, natural sound, with incredible 3-D sound stage. I can listen to the music for hours without suffering fatigue. A very good buy if you can find one. I heard that Tannoy has discontinued the Definition line.

Purchased At:   Audiogon - Private s

Submitted by Hein a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2002

Bottom Line:
This speaker paints a very broad and colourful (but not: coloured) picture. Beautiful mids, and never exaggerated lows and highs. Therefore also suitable for harder listening rooms as well as for smaller rooms. It's a floorstander that plays and sounds like a standmount!
This is the most precise musical instrument I have heard in a long time (and I have tried a lot), without losing the ability to make music....