Tannoy Canterbury 15HE Floorstanding Speakers

4.5/5 (6 Reviews) MSRP : $16500.00

Submitted by 4jvarga a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2012

Bottom Line:
What would work best with tannoy canterbury SE's for 70' and 80's rock music?
What type of amp etc?

Submitted by dcray a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2009

Bottom Line:
I have drifted from Audiophile to Audio Enthusiast for over 30 years, now 55 yrs of age. (Frankly, I like the music). Mentioning a few speakers, I have owned Thiels 3.5, 3.6, 6, Proac, B&W, Magnepans up to 3.6, Klipsch, Linn, various monitors, Altec vintage, Klipsch.....and more all excellent especially when powered by appropriate amplification. My Tannoy experience started with Churchills and I can't argue with reviews outstanding being average. Their visual wow factor may have been the highest - non enthusiasts asking, "wow!!!!! what the heck are those?" but the ratings stand average. Just couldn't seem to make them do their thing whatever it was meant to be, kept waiting for breakin...maybe its the visual. Following, I acquired some GRF Memory's before production ended. All the speakers I have referenced were enjoyable and improved after tweeking placement and electronics, and each had their "best" at certain volumes and type of music. (Off path, I have owned Linn Tukan monitors and they may provide the most fantastic, involving sound stage I have ever experienced from a small monitor, almost magnepan like and they trade for $300-500 used - need good stands, not good in a huge room but placement is very forgiving) Back to Tannoy. The GRF's have been hard to find. Their appearance is classic "traditional". These were first speakers that I connected and said, these sound good, really good (mostly used MC-275 re-issue and Golden Tube SE-40 modified). Don't ask why I sold them, her divorce attorney arranged for that - Ha! Sound good soft, good loud, good soundstage, good, good+, good++ just kept getting better (not much sonic similarity to the Churchills, which I believe is to their benefit)

Tannoy Canterbury SE's. Unquestionably very pricey but I won't discount their value. They are available used but not easy to find. They have a fine classic wood furniture appearance but expect is not for everyone. My opinion is they are a premium GRF Memory SE's that use the Tannoy Alnico 15" concentric drivers in a cabinet that reproduce music on a superb level. Have to wonder why any professional musician icon that has the space as to own these, doesn't. Frankly, have not heard the Westminister's but I it seems I'd need a formal barn sized room for them to for use to feel at home and law of diminishing return probably would prevail. I have already received some offers for them, if and when, I sell them. I do not expect to sell these, ever.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by triumph_900 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2008

Bottom Line:
The model You should have if You love the Tannoy Prestige series and You don't have the right room for a pair of Westminster.
You have a 15 inches Dual Concentric unit (the "true" one) in Alcomax (Alnico) engraved in a wonderful piece of wood handcraftmanship: it's simply gorgeous.
And the sound is live-like, id involving, is like being... INTO the musical event. And if You pair them with Tubes (Pre and Final)... You got a dream match.
If You can give 'em a try: You won't be disappointed.

Submitted by Guidetti a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2003

Bottom Line:
The superlative speaker, like in a concert hall. Lower volume detail to big orchestra. Never a fault !

Submitted by John a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2000

Bottom Line:
In my listening room during the first few hours of the break in period, something strange happened. These speakers produced the best most transparent high range that I was hearing things that I didn't think possible, stuff that I didn't know was on the recording. It is true I swear!! I often listen to music with my cat Mr. Jingles, and on some recordings he acted as if he was hearing a dog whistle. I was immedately distraught, and traded in my monster cable deluxe from my prevous AIWA system for extremely expensive french cabling with gold interconnects and sand from the riveria to protect from interference. Thankfully the problem went away and I can now appreciate music again with my cat.

Purchased At:   Local Store