Tannoy 633
Description: compact floorstandind loadspeakers

Submitted by Chris Batt a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2010

Bottom Line:
I bought my Tannoy 633 in 1995, and they are still going strong. I love these speakers, and hope that they go on for another 15 years, I wouldn't want to replace them, but if I was forced to, I would buy Tannoy again. I have Wharfedale Modus 3 speakers which I think are great floor standers, but nothing like the Tannoy that I use. I love the shape of the cabinets, and the gold anodised tweeters, all in all a great pair of proven floor standers.

Submitted by OrpheusTouch a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2007

Bottom Line:
I am fortunate enought to have listened to a lot of Tannoy loudspeakers over the years, some of which I owned and others which I borrowed on approval.
The look of the Tannoy 'Profile' models has always attracted me, the unusual shaped and compact cabinets with curved front corners instead of the earlier 'Sixes' range that had sharp corners which i found quite ugly by comparison.
The 633 is a great looking speaker, the cabinet is designed for optimum sound but its performance I found unimpressive for the size of the speaker. This is a floor standing speaker which looks really smart as part of a home cinema setup, but it fails to deliver in the bass department.
As these speakers were not originally designed for home cinema use, I also tried them in my listening room connected to three different amplifiers all with the same disappointing results.
These speakers are fitted with six inch drivers as opposed to the eight inch fitted to 637 / 638 models and I suspect that this is where the 633s fall down.
The modern mid-range Tannoy models seem to use six inch drivers but get better bass response, I assume this is partly due to improved cone material and partly interior cabinet design.
I've just sold these speakers, in favour of a pair of old DC2000 Tannoys which have ugly old box cabinets, but they're smaller than the 633s and they give me more bass whilst still giving a balanced sound.
If I had more time I'd probably keep the 633 cabinets and get them refitted with improved components to get the best of all worlds

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by Johnny Farm a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2006

Bottom Line:
Clear sounds.Deep bass and good midrange. Ideal Speakers for music. In my opinion dont need an aditional suwwoofer for home theater. Excellents design and looks withouts the grills.

Purchased At:   audiomarket

Submitted by AudioAndy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2004

Bottom Line:
I owned a pair of tannoy 633's for about 2 months. My conlusions are that it is not a very good speaker for many listeners, unless you are into rock music but even then you should listen to them well before buying as they have a different sound from other speakers in the same price range 2nd hand. The midrange is drowned out by the bass and the treble sounds a bit splashy as well. They're not bad speakers, but they're not good either. Thats why I sold them.

Submitted by soundavarice a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2002

Bottom Line:
Top class sub-mid-range British floorstanders. They don't make these any more, but if you find any for a good price (slim chance in USA), audition them! Note, they need to be toed in.

Incidentally, to correct the reviewer above: it doesn't matter how far round you can crank your volume control - it's position is not quantitatively related to the output of the amplifier. Furthermore, the relationshiop between amp output and speaker tolerance is not quite that simple. The tannoys will take a lot of power from high end equipment.

Purchased At:   Richer Sounds (UK)