Talon Audio Roc Floorstanding Speakers

12" Sub woofer - The Roc uses a 12" woofer to deliver deep, tight, accurate bass without ever bottoming out. The Roc will only deliver the fundamentals and not the second harmonics (boomy bass). Offered in powered or passive versions The Roc will integrate in most all subwoofer applications.

Submitted by kris a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2005

Bottom Line:
This is a review of the Roc 12 with outboard 1000 watt amp. Let me start off frist and say this is the best sub I have ever heard period. It is fast, deep and very controlled. This is the only sub that I know of that can do both HT and music at this level. One day the thunderbird will be in my house. Hats off to Mike at Talon and keep up the great work.

Submitted by dewmonster a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2003

Bottom Line:
I am writing this review For the newest Talon Audio Sub... The roc12 / with external 1000 watt amplifier.
I previously had the carver sunfire signature subwoofer in my system, and while it was very good for movies it had little or no musical value.
This began my search for a replacement sub.
I had listened to the NHT subone, and found it to be much more musical but it had no output stengths.
I auditioned the velodyne HGS series but I could hear the servo kick on and off on this sub like a switch (which is essentially what it was )and it became very distracting. Also the velodynes have been said to be not very musical, and while I did not audition them with music, there seems to be quite a lot of concensus on this point.
I had heard some positive things about the talon subs and started to do some research on them.
My local dealer (previously of SALON ONE fame), could not say enough good about the roc so when I had the opportunity to get one from Talon, I jumped at the chance. This sub is; to me at least, the absolute best of all worlds, which is what a sub should be. It is unbelievably quick.....anyone that tells you bass is suppose to be slow because it has a longer wave and therefore can't be quick is just wrong!! Bass has a longer wave but still should be able to start and stop under complete and utter control.
The roc does this perfectly!!
As far as output goes you just can't reach it's limits it will fill any size room with ease.
I have probably never made such a single upgrade that made such a stark difference as this sub.
I would recommend this over any I have heard, and from what others have said an awful lot of the more hyped subs, will be knocked off their pedestals as well.

Purchased At:   Talon Audio Direct p

Submitted by gary a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2002

Bottom Line:
The other reviewers got it correct. I have these speakers mated to a 5 channel ribbon setup which requires true speed to keep up with them. There was NO sub I could find that would play BOTH musical and give any sort of output for HT. The Rels are great for music, but so so for HT. The revel was adjustable, but not as musical as the Rels. The Sunfire was too slow crossed over at 80hz. The M&K did not go low enough. The Velodyne was average in all catergories. None of these subs would seemlessly blend into my system. That was until I got the ROC. This sub is amazing. It is super fast, musical, dynamic AND can be used for HT. Kudos to Talon for getting it right! If you are looking at the subs I tried, make sure you give the ROC a try before you buy any of the subs listed above. YOU will not regret it.

I am giving it 5 stars for value, because if I found this sub during my initial search, it would truly be a bargain because I wouldnt have had to keep testing, demoing subs for 6 months!

Submitted by steve a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is the best, period. Read the REVIEWS in The Perfect Vision, Ultimate Audio, Stereo Times and Secrets for Home Theater and High Fidelity. This is the subwoofer of choice! The ROC uses 2 12" woofers to deliver deep, tight, accurate bass without ever bottoming out. The ROC is by far the most musical sub and if your HT system is also used for 2 channel stereo...this is your next sub. The finish is like furniture and build quality is second to none.

Highly rated for value and performance!

Submitted by Jim a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2000

Bottom Line:
I bought a pair of these used ($2100 each). I had 3 Velodyne FSR 18's in my HT system before these. I wanted faster, tighter bass, because I use my HT as my music system too. I got what I wanted in spades. These have a unique design that utilizes two 12" drivers in a push pull arrangement with HUGE magnets. Talon Audio's website discuuses this in more detail than I can. The bottom line is bass output for HT is as awesome as with the Velo's, but bass is much tighter and musical. The internal amps are only 350 watts, but seem up to any task.

I don't see me trying other subs for the forseeable future. If you can find them at the price I paid go for it.

I am using these with Bohlender Graebner Ribbons. I have set the crossover at 90 Hz. The Roc's blend with the BG's for seamless transition from mid-bass to deep bass.

roc nation skullcandy (avaitor)

one don't hear much talk around these neck of the woods, about Skull candy products. but I have to tell y'all about this, a few weeks ago I was in (Best buy) and I saw this "drop dead overly gorgeously looking brown & gold object in the headphone area" I was taken over by a spell of "choose one (hyp ... Read More »