Streem FS-808 Floorstanding Speakers

• System Type: 3 way - 4 driver
  • Tweeter: 1" pure silk dome
  • Midrange: 5.25" polypropylene treated driver with Butyl rubber surround
  • Woofer: dual 8" polypropylene treated drivers with Butyl rubber surrounds
  • Power Handling: 50 - 200 Watts (400 Watts Peak)
  • Frequency Response: 35Hz - 20KHz
  • Sensitivity: 92 dB
  • Crossover Frequency: 500 / 4000Hz
  • Impedance: 8 Ohms
  • Cabinet: 100% MDF wood construction
  • Enclosure: tuned front port bass reflex tower design with separate driver enclosures
  • Dimensions: 41.3 x 10.6 x 11.8 inches ( H x W x D)
  • Weight: 47.3 lbs

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by shatol a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2010

Bottom Line:
    In 2004 I was looking for a pair of stereo loudspeakers for my Harman Kardon AVR-130 receiver. I went to local stores “Future Shop” and “Best Buy” in order to listen what they had. What I heard didn’t satisfy my ears and I turned to the Internet for more choices. It didn’t take a long time before I stumbled on the FS-808 speakers from the Streem. All reviewers were amazed by the quality of the speakers and the sound. I purchased them directly from the Streem and got them in couple of days.
    I liked the exterior and the most important I liked smooth and clear sound they produced. So, time went by quickly and recently I sold my AVR-130 and got “Cambridge Audio AZUR 640A V2” stereo amplifier. Also I got a new sound card (Asus Xonar Essence STX) for my HTPC. Once I connected everything and tried some 24/192 stereo records I realised that the speakers have been re-born. Even my wife noticed the difference of the sound and she usually doesn’t pay attention at all.

So far almost everybody said what I did, but I decided to start this post as a response of some negative feedbacks about the speakers I read on several forums.

My background is system engineering, so I decided to take an engineering approach and use the objective criteria to find out the truth about FS-808. I decided to measure the frequency response graph of the speakers. I downloaded and installed the shareware software application ARTA http://www.fesb.hr/~mateljan/arta/download.htm that has been used and recommended by many people across the web.
    Also I got the measurement microphone “Behringer ECM8000” and the tube microphone preamplifier “Behringer MIC100”. First I tested my sound card and confirmed the THD was exactly as specified by the manufacture. It gave me some sense of the creditability of the ARTA and I decide to proceed with the actual acoustic tests.

I don’t have the anechoic chamber so I was ready for some bad results from the reflection of the sound waves in my living room. In order to reduce such effects I covered the hardwood floor with blankets. Finally I connected the mic, preamp, sound card and performed the calibration as described in the ARTA’s help file. I attached the microphone to my tripod and placed it 2 meters way from the speaker. I aligned the mic along at the middle axis of the speaker and set the parameters of the measurement as the following:
    Gen: White Noise
    Fs (Hz): 192000
    FFT: 32768
    I ran several tests with different parameters and always got the same Frequency Response Graph that I placed here:

I can say from the graph that Streem has done very good job in order to keep the linearity of the response for whole range. I was not actually surprised because I got the results I could hear by myself. I just got the objective confirmation of my feelings.

When I tried to get the frequency response graphs from other manufactures I found the following website:

These guys actually tested a lot of speakers and I encourage everyone who is looking for the loudspeakers visit the website and get the results of the objective testing.

They tested 42 loudspeakers (http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/measurements/speakers) and I compared the frequency response graphs against my graph. I found 7 speakers that IMHO have worse graphs than FS-808. The rest is similar or better.
    Also please keep in mind that my tests are done in home conditions and in the appropriate anechoic chamber FS-808 would show even better results.

As a resume I can only say that marketing strategy of the Streem Speakers seems very odd for me. They have very good product, which can easily compete with middle lines of the Hi-Fi speakers and yet anyone barely knows them.

Submitted by Yvan Chainé a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2007

Bottom Line:
    I got my Streem speaker kit (HT-808) about 2 months ago, and so far I have to say I am impressed.
    These speakers are massive and they sure add a real nice touch to any home theater layout, specially in a large room
    I am using a Yamaha RX-V861 as my main amplifier and the sound quality and power is great. I added a amplified sub (Polk 150 W) and balance the sound to get more mid range frequencies
    The product is nicely constructed although I do not particulary like the chrome finish on the front air vent.
    Overall, I do not think you can fine a better deal than this. Good value for the money.

Purchased At:   Streem Web site

Submitted by AtG2077 a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2004

Bottom Line:
    These towers sound great. They are the perfect budget 2-channel system for the casual listener or audio enthusiast. Bass response is great, with four 8" woofers, these speakers, used in home theater or multiple speaker systems will not require the use of a subwoofer. Mids and highs are taken care of easily with the rest of the speakers. They are loud and clean sounding even without a lot of power. These are not my first 2-channel speakers, i've tried a few other brands, nothing comes close to these.

They sound decent during 2-channel video watching, but they truly shine when any type of music track is put to them. They truly sound and look great. Some of the best budget speakers even for the pickiest of audiophiles.

Purchased At:   Station Street

Submitted by convincer a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2004

Bottom Line:
    To be honest I was both pleased and surprised. I can't say these compete with a $10,000.00 system. But I can't afford that either!

To start off with, I believe you can judge to a certain degree, the quality of a product based on how well it's prepared and packaged. The speakers were in doubled up boxes, wrapped in fitted plastic, and
    protected by fitted foam end caps. The boxes were extra thick and really well taped and all areas were sealed, not just taped across the opening
    but completely sealed up. Streem really wanted these to arrive in good shape and well protected.

Now to the speakers, they included everything you need, even wires although I threw those out, I had higher grade monster cables already.

The HT-808's all used gold plated banana type connectors, on a mounted receptacle, not glued in but screwed in as it should be. The wood is nice
    and looks and feels real, the speakers are solid and don't seem to flex or vibrate so the high ends seem clear, and the mid range is solid. I thought the bass to be a bit boomy, but that may just be me, I have a raised wood floor that tends to act like a sounding baffle for lower notes. To that point, the bass was tighter than my old speakers, and more full than my
    Bose 901's I used in another room.

The speakers included, spikes for the mains, I really was thankful that I did not have to drill and add new ones.

The center channel is bright and clear, voices are distinct but not shrill. I again was pleased the one it replaced was narrow and sometimes piercing to listen to. (Pioneer). It's nice to have matched tweeters, the
    movement of effects across channels was smooth, and moved easily without drawing attention to itself.

All in all I am very happy, I would compare these to the high-end speakers of stores like Best Buy or Circuit City. But again not to compete with the real audiophile grade stuff from specialty stores that I can't afford anyway.

I did not love the chrome sub-port, it draws a bit too much attention to itself for my taste against a black speaker, I prefer subtleties. But again it's just my taste. Also if I had a choice, I really like warm and
    mellow speakers with tight crisp highs. The Streem's are well balanced and crisp across all ranges. But this is not my personal preference, to the extent that I prefer warm to the tight crispness that many people like today. So again I'm being overly picky, but I'm still very pleased.

I feel comfortable recommending these, I'm pleased with the price, and feel I received a great value. And the real key, my kids and wife think I did okay and had no complaints. I've already showed them off to a few friends who like me are wanabe audiophiles, they too were impressed with the price vs quality value.

Purchased At:   stationstreet via eb

Submitted by corn53 a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2004

Bottom Line:
    I recentlt purchased the HT-808 package deal. I was looking for floor speakers to enhance my music listening.(my yamaha satellites weren`t cutting it!!) I shopped around a few weeks and was considering buying JBL`s when I decided 2 look around online. I came across the Streem FS-808 and liked the specs on them. I was leery buying something online that I couldn`t see and hear for myself. So I looked around some more and found the HT-808 surround package. I couldn`t believe the price!!! The whole system was around the price of the Pair of JBL floor speakers!!! The FS-808 has the same finish and comparable specs. So I gave Streem a chance, and ordered the whole the package. I sure am glad I did. The package is awesome. The FS-808 are great speakers. THey are very stlish and well made, and they sound awesome. THey are great for movies and music. For the money, Streem is the way 2 go!!!

Purchased At:   station street