Spendor S5e Floorstanding Speakers

3.5/5 (4 Reviews)

The Spendor S5e is the ideal solution for everyone who demands superb sound from an extremely compact discrete floor standing loudspeaker. The S5e has two individual 140mm Spendor drive units. One driver handles the delicate midrange and upper bass. The second bass unit handles the very low frequencies and it is engineered to match the 3D linear flow port. The result is a small loudspeaker which delivers convincing punch and weight and a surprisingly 'big' sound. The Spendor S5e has excellent efficiency and an easy to drive load so you don't need a big powerful amplifier. With our linear flow reflex technology you can even place the cabinet very close to a rear wall and the bass will remain clean and controlled.

Submitted by M. Levin a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2013

Bottom Line:
I bought these used. At first they are impressive, until you determine that the lower bass just doesn't integrate well with the mid-bass. No matter what you do, it is impossible to blend these things into a room and I tried several rooms. I used an NAD C375 integrated at 150 watts. The best these sounded was stuffing the ports to get rid of the lower bass. In addition, these speakers are dead boring overall. My Spendor Prelude 2/2 were wonderful. Wish I had them back.

Submitted by neal1502 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2006

Bottom Line:
I have had the Spendors for over a month. After auditioning several speakers (and some of the big brands too) I decided to buy the Spendors due to their price-value proposition. These are very 'musical' speakers. Not extremely detailed, not extremely accurate but as I said very 'musical'. Listening to music never gets boring, I can listen for hours.

Spendors do not have too much bass, but enough for my taste. I do not listen to rock and I don't think these are speakers for that. Also I feel these are better speakers for solo to few instruments/vocals. Spendors may tend to get a bit bright on the highs, equipment matching plays a crucial part. I am using a Krell CD player with Krell int-amp.

Having said that, these are good enough for me. When I said 'too much' whatever in the above paragraph, I wasn't comparing apple to apple, but rather comparing Spendors with speakers that are way more expensive. It's hard to ignore the Spendors especially at their price point.

Purchased At:   Dealer

Submitted by confa a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2006

Bottom Line:
The Spendor is a loudspeaker very serious. Don't plays with the sound: don't overacts, don't forges nothing. It's a british....

If you move a flowerpot in the room, the Spendor allow you to hear the difference. The BBC use it like a monitor...

So, you must have a balance acoustic room, an very good digital source, an clean amplifier. And best cd.

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   Italy (counselor Mr.

Submitted by leskowhich a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2005

Bottom Line:
This will be short...I'm writing due to the lack of reviews for this product, which deserves attention. I've owned the the Spendor's a little over a month...not quite through the recommended 200 hour break-in period, but I spent many hours listening to a pair that were fully exercised. I will write again after I've had them for a while. After a long militant campaign I narrowed my selection of sub $2k speakers down to two...Revel M20's (cheaper than usual due to M22's that are soon to arrive) and the Spendor S5e's. I don't think it's possible to go wrong either way here. I felt the Revel's imaged better than the Spendor's, however the Spendor's sounded a bit fuller and slightly more pleasing across a broad range of music (perhaps due to their dual midrange aproach?). If I only listened to jazz-vocal and accoustic guitar music the Revel's would now be sitting in my listening room. The clincher, however was the fluid nature with which the Spendor's integrated with a sub (Muse Model 22 in my case), as where the Revel's came across as 3 seperate units not working as a whole (even with their own reknowned Revel sub). In wrapping up the Spendor's hit my taste perfectly given their price range (I gave up finding an audiofile speaker cheaper than $2k that handles full range). They are sweet on midrange and integrate beautifly with a sub for future expansion.