Spectrum Acoustics 410 Floorstanding Speakers

3.5/5 (2 Reviews)

Submitted by Kurt a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2000

Bottom Line:
Several musician friends are blown away at the bass response with the A300 MF amp ("It feels like they're in the room" was one comment during listening to Emmylou Harris' Wrecking Ball CD.

Purchased At:   Sabin Audio via Audio Advisor

Submitted by Dave a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2000

Bottom Line:
When I bought these in 1988 as an upgrade to accommodate CD program source, they were a Stereophile Class C component. They are tower systems, weighing about 60 lbs. each. Although I've since heard speakers with better definition,(B&W Nautilus 803) the Stereophile review mentioned treble definition and detail as a positive feature. They came in mirrored pairs with the Vifa 1 inch nylon dome tweeter mounted at the upper outside corner of each cabinet face. This arrangement seems to help the sound stage presentation, another strong point of this speaker. It appears that Vifa no longer makes a nylon polyamide dome tweeter, perhaps because of resonances that muddle the sound. The world seems to be divided into two camps today, metal dome and soft cloth dome tweeter fans, for whom there is never enough detail, or too much. At the time I bought the 410's, however, the combination of soundstage and detail was a welcome improvement compared to the Infinity 1001A's I had before.

The woofer is a 10 inch of Spectrum's own design crossing over to the tweeter in the 2-3KHz range. Playing a 25Hz test tone from a CD, it can rattle the glass in the side door of my house. If I still considered myself an audio enthusiast as I did in 1988, I probably would have upgraded to newer speakers with tighter bass and more treble detail by now. (A 1991 reader survey by Stereophile showed that average time spent listening to music per week/month had decreased while amount spent per system had increased. This is just a sign of the times where everyone is overbooked in life with less time for leisure hobbies.) With less time for listening to music, 410's are still satisfying to a "Casual Listener" like myself who doesn't get into the details that make for a real audiophile speaker these days.

About Integra Luxman L-410

I have bought this amplifier recently. It sounds good for me. The previous one (NAD 705) was awfully unreliable. The problem is that I didn't found any datasheets or even reviews of the Luxman. So, can You help me to found some information about it. At least I will be greatful for reviews from peopl ... Read More »