Sound Dynamics RTS-7 Floorstanding Speakers

4.6/5 (10 Reviews) MSRP : $550.00

Submitted by Thad Brown a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2003

Bottom Line:
I've used Sound Dynamics RTS-3 speakers as small bookshelf units at various places in my home and studio. Nice, solid speakers with no low end. I saw the RTS-7 on sale at blowout prices at audioadvisor and decided to give them a shot as both music and home theater speakers.

I've only been using them for a few days, but so far I'm quite impressed. They have MUCH more and better bass than than their little brothers. Imaging is excellent, placing instruments accurately in the stereo field is easy, and the sweet spot on them is wide. I expect this will make them great HT speakers as well, giving more listeners a fair shot at hearing what is happening.

Other people knock the midrange on these speakers, saying it's recessed or choked. I don't hear that at all, the mids seem very accurate and pleansant to me. I haven't (and probably won't) mix on them, but the mixes I've done on the RTS-3s have translated very well to other systems and didn't have any excessive honk.

At this price, they are probably a good deal if they make any noise at all, but the noises they make are really quite nice. They have been happy with pretty any kind of music I've thrown at them, from very acoustic classic jazz to very modern processed electronica.

Purchased At:   Audioadvisor

Submitted by George a

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2002

Bottom Line:
Very smooth sounding with no harshness in the treble and very melodic bass reproduction with no hints of strain even at higher volume. As fronts for home-theatre these deliver a powerful, focused punch. However, the overall 'flatness' in their mid-range (which is part of what makes them so pleasing for extended stereo listening) really compresses the detail of some recordings. Still, an excellent value, a satisfying speaker to listen to and highly recommended as home-theatre fronts.

Purchased At:   E-Station

Submitted by John Cook a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2002

Bottom Line:
These Speakers are amaizing. As you can see I picked them up for a song. ($NZ100 = $US45) In a clearance sale NEW!. They have a very crisp sound and are especially good for vocals and acoustic guitar. I have heard parts of tracks that I have not heard on any of my previous speakers. Recommend them..Go and get yourself some

Purchased At:   Bond and Bond Wellin

Submitted by Dave Fisher a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
Excellent value. Stereo imaging for music is outstanding though they are quite sensitive to their position in the listening room and take some time to set up.

Very melodic in the bass frequencies - need to be bi-wired to bring out their bass capability. Pleasing treble reponse - never harsh even at high volumes and they handle large amplifier power extremely well.

I enjoy them as home theatre front speakers but LOVE them for stereo music listening.

Submitted by Mike a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2001

Bottom Line:
First I want to say that I've just demoed them side-by-side on a Denon AVR 3300 receiver.
I already own RTS11 and I was looking to get RTS 5 or RTS7 as a nice match for them to use as rear speakers.
RTS7 is using the smaller drivers you find in the center RTS C2 - it also sounds the same
I find the sound on them a little bit compressed, with lacks in the medium frequencies and also lacks of detail. The bass seems to be more in the mid level bass, kind of Bose type of bass. I find them anyway good for movies.
But again I didn't bi-wire them. Maybe they will sound better with bi-wire, who knows, but I don’t think it’ll be the case.
It is also a speaker relatively difficult to drive. Or maybe it is easy to drive but it just didn't sounded good with smaller systems.
In what regards the timbre, this speaker is NOT matched with the other RTS family. It sounds more like a bigger center RTS C2!
Compared to them, the smaller RTS5 has a more "open", warm and pleasant sound, pretty much like RTS9 and RTS11 but with smaller soundstage - they also share the same drivers with their bigger brothers. The smaller guy is incredible easy to drive even with consumer amps, and it'll boost the quality of any medium-low priced system. I like it more then RTS7 hands down.
My advice – before buying give them a try – Compare them side-by-side with RTS5 and RTS 9 – you’ll have a surprise!
Bring your own system and try it with both RTS 5 and RTS 7 see what you like