Sony SSM F500H Floorstanding Speakers

4.18/5 (11 Reviews) MSRP : $199.95

Get the most out of your music with Sony's SSM-F500H 3-Way 4-Speaker System. Exploding with superb sound this system includes a 3-way, 4-driver floor-standing speaker, Dual 6-1/2-inch woofers with Highly Oriented Polyolefine (HOP) cones to minimize distortion, and a 3-inch H.O.P. midrange drive unit. Also featuring a 1"" Nano-Fine Balanced Dome tweeter, and Bass Reflex enclosure, this system rocks 200 watts of maximum power handling. So get ready to roll.

Submitted by Howard a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2011

Bottom Line:
I inherited these towers from my brother and WOW! I can't believe Sony's price point on these! With a powered sub these speakers have been the reason for hopping dance parties, killer movie nights and amazing music jam sessions. I have loved every minute of owning them. The only downside would be that they are big... but what decent floor speaker isn't?!

I would recommend these or similar newer models for any audio enthusiast with a budget!

Submitted by Markson Spencer a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2003

Bottom Line:
My original review of this speaker was removed with no explanation. Let me reiterate that although the speakers are fine for the price, that there is practically no useful output from the tweeters - all the highs are coming from the midrange. This is true for the model SSM F400H too (which I set up for a friend). No, I did not burn out the tweeters - in these or any other speakers I have owned. This is not to say that the speakers produce no highs; the extreme highs are simply somewhat muted and this may even be aggreable to some listeners.

Purchased At:   etronics

Submitted by GaToy a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2003

Bottom Line:
In a word "wow". These speakers are awsome. I originally bought them to run second audio in my bedroom. That project has been lagging so just out of curiosity I replaced my mains with them in my home theater. I loved the way they sounded in the store. But once I hooked them up to my reciever I was amazed. I mean, yeah there are alot of speakers out there that would blow these out of the water. But you have to keep the price in mind. I don't know of any speakers that could hang with these in this price range. Also the speakers look great given the same reason. "PRICE". Anyone trying to compare these speakers to high end audio doesn't know that much about home theater. Or high end electronics. That would be like comparing my Sony STR-DA7ES to one of the home theater in a box recievers. You just can't. I am very happy with them and as soon as I finish changing out my Cerwin Vega surround system for Mirage, they will deffinetly be going in my room.

Purchased At:   Rex Appliance and vi

Submitted by John N a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2003

Bottom Line:
Excellent speakers for the cost. They look flashy and expensive when they really aren't. The sound is impressive considering the circumstances.

Purchased At:   etronics.com

Submitted by renski a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2002

Bottom Line:
These are great speakers and very underpriced for floor speakers. Anyone who says they don't have enough bass isn't driving them hard enough. You get a decent amp on these speakers and drive them hard enough they WILL give out some nice bass.