Sony SS M3 Floorstanding Speakers

4.8/5 (5 Reviews)

Cabinet:
- 2-Way sealed enclosure Loudspeaker System.
- Anhedral baffle design minimizes frontal area to minimize cabinet diffraction; musical tones remain clear and distinct, with amazing detail, transparency and three-dimensionality.
- Non-parallel cabinet surfaces to minimize standing waves; bass response is ""tight"" and accurate, even during loud passages.
- One-inch thick Cabinet Walls made from Medium Density Fiberboard (MDF) with a burst strength of 4,000 psi for phenomenal resistance to vibration; even when the speaker is playing full blast, you hear the drivers' vibration, not the cabinet's.
- Individual Cabinet Pieces are cut by Computer Numeric Control (CNC), dadoed and assembled with high-strength wood glue, instead of conventional hot-melt glue, for superb rigidity.
- Extensive Cabinet Bracing made from inch- thick MDF.
- Slanted baffle board and meticulous crossover design for time and phase coherence at a listening distance of 3 meters (10 feet); musical transients are clear and distinct, stereo imaging is broad and deep.
- Cherry wood veneer on all sides, even the back, for a deep, lustrous finish.

Crossover network:
- Steep-slope 24 dB-per-octave crossover for reduced comb filtering, more focused, more linear, more natural sound.
- Crossover Frequency kept more than one octave away from any driver resonance or nonlinearity for smooth, consistent frequency response.
- Computer-optimized crossover design for maximum effectiveness and maximum simplicity.
- Separate high-and low frequency circuit boards for reduced interference, more direct connection between crossover and driver.
- Polypropylene capacitors for superior stability regardless of frequency, heat or humidity.
- Laminated steel core inductors exhibit ultra high saturation for superb power handling, low DC resistance for high efficiency.
- Ceramic resistors for excellent heat dissipation, simpler impedance.
- 5% Tolerance crossover parts compared to the typical 10%, for far higher uniformity, far better matching between the left speaker and the right .

Drivers:
- Mineral-filled polypropylene woofer and midrange cones for optimized stiffness, extremely low distortion, extremely linear response.
- Butyl rubber woofer and midrange surrounds for high compliance and high internal damping.
- Computer-optimized theile/smallparameters for deep bass extension and superb bass transient response.
- Extended woofer voive coil with increased overhang for high power handling, lower distortion during demanding musical peaks.
- Aluminum voice coil formers in the woofer has a large diameter, uses high-temperature wire for high power handling.
- Pro-flux demodulation rings in the woofer cancel harmonic distortion that arises from inductive coupling between voice coil and magnetic field.
- Fabric dome tweeter with directivity control plate for optimal high-frequency dispersion pattern.
- Ferrofluid twee

Submitted by BOB LANE a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2011

Bottom Line:
I have apair of the sony ssm7's, and am despreately looking for apr. of the ss m3 or the ss m9s,please let me know if your selling either,These are the best sounding speakers i have ever heard and I own aset of 7.1 B&W;s,A st OF auperion audio and aset of JAMOS, BUT I would really like to find the m3;s and the m9;s, Would be willing to trade or jusst outrite BUY EM ! THANK-YOU

Submitted by Cheeflo a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2005

Bottom Line:
The Sony SS-M3 have wonderful detial and warmth.

Imaging is excellent. Vocal texture is superb. Just play Norah Jones and you'll be amaze at the full texture of her voice coming through these speakers.

I filled the stands with Atacama Bytes and the bass is clean and solid but not boomy.

I use tube pre-amplifier and passive pre-ampplifier with one solidstate and one mosfet power amplifiers both around 100watt to drive them, They sound great with both systems

They sound great too with my full tube set- up with KT-88 push-pull tube power amp at 75 watts each channel.

I tried a 5881/KT66 tube power amp that is around 30-40 watts with the speakers and they sound very sweet and solid even with less power.

Bi-wiring also helps in bringing out the detail.

The SS-M3 sound best when the pair is spread wide and toe in.

Initially I tried the pair about 3ft from the rear wall and 8ft apart with slight toe-in with seating position about 8-9feet away and it was ok.

Then I tried placing them about 12 ft apart and with more toe-in. I found the the soundstage much wider and deeper and the vocal sharper in the middle.

It would be like the Dalquist, it sounds better with a wide placement of the speakers.

Maybe these speakers were made together with the launch of SACD. They have a great analogue quality, sweetness and warmth to compensate for the digital detail sound of SACD.

The speakers are great with vocal and warmth (Even better than LS3/5 due to its much bigger solid cabinet, its interesting shape and time coherent design)).

Try a pair and you'll see.

It's a true pair of audiophile speakers, made in America, that unfortunately has a lesser identity with the SONY name.

Probably one of the best speakers from SONY

Purchased At:   Traded-in at 2nd han

Submitted by cubemaster a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2002

Bottom Line:
My system includes: Sony X707 ES CD Player, Sony TA-F808ES Integrated Amplifier, Velodyne CT-150 Subwoofer, Sony ES SS-M3 Speakers, Nordost Super Flatline Gold Speaker Cables, Nordost Black Night Interconnects, and home made speaker stands. As a reference for sound, I use a Top of the line pair of Sony MDR-7509 Studio Monitor Headphones and a Rolls RA-43 Headphone Amplifer hooked up directly to the variable outputs on my Sony X707 Es Cd Player. My system is so musical, yet accurate. I think this should be everyones goal. The only possible future upgrade may be a purchase of the Sony ES SS-M7's, and even then, I will keep my SS-M3's !! I used to have to close my eyes to see the illusion of the music, but now, I see, feel, and hear it with eyes wide open. Need I say more. I would love to hear from anyone who has had this experience. God Bless Music and Sony ES of course.

Purchased At:   EBAY

Submitted by kat krazy a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2002

Bottom Line:
As a result of downsizing my living space and winding up with a 12'x10' listening room, I went out in search of a suitable replacement for my beloved Magnepan 2.5Rs. The budget was set at a grand a pair or less, which I hoped would net me a listenable bookshelf speaker. After unfulfilling in-home trials of several ported designs, I was disillusioned. I kept being off-put by lumpy midbass wreaking havoc with the standard my ears were used to hearing. Aha, a sealed box might do the trick, I thought! Back I trudged to my patient dealer; I remembered seeing a lonely demo pair of speakers that had no port in them. That these were the most funky-looking boxes I'd ever seen didn't bother me; that they said "Sony" on the grill did. Me, listen to a Sony SPEAKER?! In my system?! Then I recalled a review in Stereophile that extolled the virtues of another speaker in the ES line, the SSM7. OK, I was desperate enough to give them a try. Two years later, they are still with me. Why? They are unfailingly neutral, offer an excellent soundstage, are coherent from top-to-bottom, and quite simply musically involving. My listening tastes revolve around female vocalists, acoustic jazz, and pop stuff. Stringed instruments sound delightfully present. Try Mary Black's "Columbus" on these. I've since added an Audio Pro sub to them in my new 24'x18' music room. In summary, this is a far better speaker than any tweak would expect, and unknown in audiphile circles. Due to the Sony name, their re-sale value is nil, so bargains await. But don't be fooled: it is simply one of the most enjoyable high-end speakers I have ever owned. A true sleeper. The SSM3 proves that you can't judge a book by it's cover!

Purchased At:   Audiophile's of Cros

Submitted by Peter Papp a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought these speakers for a song!

Build quality is good, 1" thick MDF, Peerless drivers, separate low/high crossover boards, bi-ampable.

Design is sound, anhedral baffle, flush drivers, 4th-order crossover, simple 2-way unit, time-aligned, sealed box (probably critically damped).

Imaging is very good, soundstaging is OK and very dependent on placement--requires at least 3' separation from rear wall to be decent. Overall sound is totally neutral, with nothing outstanding. Everything is very smooth, but comes at the price of efficiency--only 86dB/W/m. Bass is extremely clean, due to the sealed box and solid cabinet. It is also deceptively extended, because of the 6dB/octave cutoff of the sealed box system. Doesn't reach down to the lowest octaves, of course. Decent rhythm and pacing, great on woodwinds and female voice. Maybe a bit lean on male vocals, but that may be my Arcam CD player.

Value rating is based on full retail price of $900/pr (I think).

Purchased At:   Insurance Lot Re-Seller