Sonus Faber Electa Amator II Floorstanding Speakers

4.71/5 (59 Reviews) MSRP : $6000.00

Submitted by Sean a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2010

Bottom Line:
Treble - Average

Midrange - Excellent (this is where this speaker excels)

Bass - Excellent (greater than most floor standing speakers twice its price-point)

Unlike most bookshelf speakers, these don't give you that small speaker feeling. I use to own a pair of JMLAB anniversary/limited addition bookshelf. Compared to that, these SF don't have as detailed of a treble. Having said that, the SF's just create a larger sound stage and has much greater musicality.

It's like comparing two professional musicians. One is good and one is great (world renowned). The difference is the musicians ability to put their heart and soul into the music. That's why I love SONUS FABER.

SF's may not have the best treble, it may not have the best midrange, it may not have the best bass. It may not even be the most detailed. But it is its ability to create music with heart and soul that sets itself apart.

Finally, as with all SF's the cabinet is just sooo beautifully made.

Submitted by Mike Uysal a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2007

Bottom Line:
This may be the best 2800 I spent on a pair of speakers. They came with the factory original stands which is critical for setup and performance. They have beautiful cosmetics - old charm but stylish. SF really knows the art of cabinet design and manufacture. Setup will require some experimenting. Simply follow the setup instructions in the user manual and you will be done in 30 minutes max. The more toe-in produces sharper focus and more stage depth. Reduced toe-in gives a wider stage, less depth and focus. I listen at near-field about 5-6 feet away from each speaker, 6-7 feet apart. The speakers sit about 5 feet away from the back wall. These speakers are lot of fun to listen to. They are slightly colored but very pleasant sound. The highs are open. The mid-range is very articulate. The base probably gets down to 35 hz but you can always use a good sub. I use a REL B1 with exceptional results. These speakers have a bold sound. They like power and sound better as you increase volume. In other words, IMHO they are not ideal for low volume listening. Very well constructed. They look the part and have the performance to back it up.

Purchased At:   AudioGon

Submitted by Sonus a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2003

Bottom Line:
Dear friends,

I have been looking for a well balance speaker for a long time.
I auditioned Armati Homage, B&W SS 30, 802 natilus and Genesis 5 and Martin logan Odyssey.
I liked all of them in a way or the other but the most neutral and balanced speaker is the Aramti Homage.
Of course price was a concern and guess what? I settled for the SF EA 2.
It sounded great from the start when I heard it with a pair of the small Goldmund Mono blocks at the showroom.
It was abe to handle music at loud levels and supprisinly has pretty good bass for suach a small bookshelf speaker.

I never tought of buying a bookshelf as I had the impression that they sound small(no volume) and lean (no bass extention).
But do not under-estimate the EA 2.

Used with my Krell FPB 300/KRC 3 pre and Electrocompaniet 24/192 cd player in full bal mode, his baby has the authority and extention. Wide, bold, transparent, focus and warm sounding.

My opinion? Go get one now...heard that it is no longer in production.

Submitted by lafish a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2002

Bottom Line:
Electa Amator II......hmmmm.........I should write my review a bit earlier. Now I no longer own this pair of legend bookshelf.

EA2 gave me life when listening to every kind of music, broad coverage like rock, metal, classic, jazz and strange music. It can handle well to all sound coming out to my ears. Good tonal balance, musical and the more important, it bass output is really superior. Sometime I think it can even beat floor standing model.

Soundstage is great especially when U are listening to violin and sumphony. This is the strongly recommend tracks when you want to audit this speaker.

For the accessories, the best stand for it is wood stone adjustable stand for good looking and good hi-mid sound re-production. The wood steel adjustable stand is also good especially on bass generation. However, it lose a bit on the outlook.

EA2 is a gentle speaker which can go along well with different kind of amps. However, I would suggest you use strong power amp to feed it. Coz the biggest the power, the better the sound.

I still miss this pair of speaker at some point.

Submitted by hman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
I just bought this speakers few days ago and right out of the box they sound fantastic. At the moment I have a mid price 2 channel system with which I am very happy and I will keep for a while.
Before this system I had big expencive monoblocks and much more expencive speakers but components did not match. I had Sonus Faber Guarneri which are nearly double the price of this speakers but they don't have this big soundstage and could not play any music, only jazz and classical but for US$10000 you would expect speakers to play everything.
But with Electa Amator II I am very happy and now my components are matched and sound is nearly perfect, I can live with this speakers for long time.

My system is :

Sony SCD XA 777 ES SACD Player
Transparent Audio Reference with XL tech interconnects
Krell KAV 300 iL 200 Watt integrated
Transparent Ultra speaker cables
Sonus Faber Electa Amator II
I think they worth money that you pay for them.

Purchased At:   HI FI Store