Snell Acoustics System 500 THX Floorstanding Speakers

4.88/5 (8 Reviews) MSRP : $5595.00

THX Certified Home Theater Speakers

Submitted by tread a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2002

Bottom Line:
the first thing i must ask when looking at these reviews is;how can anyone rate this 500 thx system that has never owned them..or listened to them for an extended length of time?i have owned this snell multimedia system for over 3 years..it took over 6 weeks just to break them in.i push this system with a thx ultra denon 5801 receiver..these 500's sound stupendious with music or movies.my listening room is 24' X 28' X 9' with 2 large openings that cannot be closed,never the less, these Snells fill this large space with loud articulate sound.i have never regretted purchasing these thx 500 snells once. i consider them to be a bargain at 6000.00, i purchased the additional subwoofer,which i highly recommend.. now that 7.1 systems are the norm,i wish i could find 2 more of the lcr 500 for the back,left and right!

Submitted by Thomas a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2000

Bottom Line:
Please see other's review on the product and the its quality. I just want to share my experince with Snell's customer service is excellent.My two fronts woofers were bad, the surrounds didn't stay glued to the woofers 5 years after the warranty passed, but Snell acknowledged there was a manufacturing problem on those and sent me replacement woofers immediately, at no charge. I never had this level of customer service in the industry else where.

Submitted by twister a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 28, 1999

Bottom Line:
I'm very pleased with these speakers! Music are articulated with clean and clearly defined sounds. The soundstaging is not extremely wide but still very good. I think this is due to THX's specification. Snell's customer service is also very good. My two fronts woofers were bad, the surrounds didn't stay glued to the woofers after the warranty passed, but Snell acknowledged there was a manufacturing problem on those and sent me replacement woofers immediately, at no charge.

Submitted by Ted a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 5, 1999

Bottom Line:
Snell makes great stuff! I own the Music and Cinema Reference System, but, instead of two 7' SUR-2800 surround towers I'm using four. This utilizes the 7.1 Logic 7 from my Lexicon DC-1. I agree about the Brystons also. I use 5- 7B monoblocks and 2- 8B's for the surrounds. Bryston amps work great with the Snells. It's just a great match. My friend just put in a 500 system and it is great! Sure there is a difference, but, the 500 system with Bryston amps is wonderful for the money. Snell has gone through some changes. David Smith is heading up the company. He is a good man, and a great speaker engineer. Check out some of his newly designed front speakers, and tripole surrounds. They are very impressive! In my opinion there is nothing better than a Snell speaker. I could have bought anything and I picked Snell. They just sound right. After 12 years of owning and operating a major recording facility I know what right is supposed to be. It just doesn't get any better than this!

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile

Submitted by Brian a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 4, 1998

Bottom Line:
This review is posted in regards to Ashis's questions on the Snell THX system, as well as many other THX cetified speaker systems.
The question of whether or not the "big brother" speakers are really well worth the extra bucks is greatly dependant on the person. I have listened to all kinds of sound systems, including B&W's Nautilus speaker system (which I am stilling recovering from). At about $25,000 per speaker, these aren't cheap, but in a price-is-no object home theater, these can't be beat for sheer accuracy and "punch". However, most people aren't willing to shell out that kind of cash, and the size of the nautilus makes it inpractical for most home theater set-ups. This speaker system, can be easily distinguished from any and all others on the market. However, when you decide to compare, say the 500 THX system, with the "refrence system" or, from one of B&W's fine speakers, it greatly depends on the listener. I personally enjoyed the 500's so much, because of the mix of price, and performance (value) on a high-end speaker. When sheer accuracy, and performance are the goals, then the reference, of course will be better. However, depending on how much of an audio enthusiast, or how experienced one is as an audiophile, the difference in sound can be much better, or hardly better. The best advice I have for you, Ashis, is to demo the 500's, the 800's, and the ref system from Snell. Also, check out B&W's THX systems (they are also VERY nice). If you think that the sound in the 800's is well worth the extra cash, then go for it. It's all up to what your ears hear, and what you are willing to spend

Brian