SEA Speakers 4.0 Series Floorstanding Speakers

3.88/5 (8 Reviews) MSRP : $1509.00

Home Theater Speaker Package - Five Speakers With 4" Polyfin/Norsorex Cone Woofers And 1" Soft Dome Tweeters - One Dynamically Aligned 10" Bass Driver

Submitted by Bob Lewis a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2006

Bottom Line:
I know all about this Sea speakers and company as a friend of mine was a dealer for them just before they went out of busness. I was the one who put him on to them. I have the 4.0 and he had the 8.0 surround speakers. I cant say enough about the sound of the 8.0 speakers. They sound fantastic! Great punch, smooth sound. The 4.0s are another story all to gether. The 4" woofer just doesnt cut it. Maybe thats the reason so few speakers are offered with 4" woofers. One does come to mind that does sound good and thats the $2000 Boston surround speakers but the powered woofer in that setup is very good as is the metal cabinets of the surround speakers. The Sea 8.0 speakers with 8" woofers and Seas (Danish speaker and not made by Sea)silk dome tweeter have a wonderful sound and these speakers can be gotten for nothing on ebay. The 4.0 have the Seas silk dome tweeter too. Now, I listen to a Snell XA $7,000 surround speaker system I bought in 1999 and the 4.0s I played with for an hour or so and put up for the last 4 years. I did listen to them at a local dealer(Top Gun) before I answered the local ad and bought them but they dont compare to the Sea 8.0s

Purchased At:   someones home

Submitted by Martin Rudd a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2006

Bottom Line:
I've had a set of the SEA speakers since 1999. I have used them a great deal.
They have the richest, clear sound that I would want and expect from the SEAs.
Not only does Disney's use these speakers but MGM studios also uses these in some of their sets.
They are a grand set of speakers. I like the weight of the speakers because as you turn your volumne up, the speakers stay rigid, holding to their base with no
vibrating.
I like these speakers very much.
I hate to hear the co has went out of business. But all good things must come to an end.

Purchased At:   Wholesale

Submitted by justbereal21 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought the sea 4.0 set online for a mere 119.99 plus shipping at ebay.com.I have to say I wish that it had a powered sub but I already had one to begin with so I just used the satelites and they sound so full of life,they blow my old pioneers away,the sound is crystal clear.Even though they are out of business I believe I recieved a great deal and I recommend them to anyone.

Purchased At:   EBAY

Submitted by handyman28 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
I purchased these (SEA 8.0) new off ebay for a mere $400.00. SEA was a manufacturer of professional speakers, and I've been to Universal Studios & Disney in Fla, where there products were used and was quite pleased with the sound. Also, with an original price over $2000, $400 is an absolute steal, for any 6 piece speaker system. (Can't even buy a Bose AM6 system for that price!) First off, the packaging was second rate, as 1 of the speakers suffered a slight separation at the seams, which I repaired. Sound quality is clean and bass is tight, but 1 of the woofers arrived bad. It distorts at any volume if bass is present. I am having extreme difficulties finding a replacement woofer. I am currently running it off a B&K AV5000 105x5 amplifier with a CHIRO 802 preamp, and must say that if it wasn't for the defective woofer I would say it is a great buy, much better than any BOSE and far better than anything under $1000. The only drawback is that they are large (8" woofers) so they do stand out. If anyone knows where I can get a replacement I would greatly appreciate it.

Submitted by Mark a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
I wrote a review several months ago about the 8.0 series and the unfortunate situation I had with SEA. I said that "Gary Adams was less than an honorable man". I wish to retract that statement. I still have not received a refund and am basically out $600. Until I receive a full refund my view point stands on the rest of the review.