Sansui SP-3500 Floorstanding Speakers

4.56/5 (16 Reviews)

4-Way Speaker w/ 6 drivers: 14" Woofer, 4" Mid. (x2), 4.5"x2" High Mid. Horn, 2" Horn Tweeter (x2), 100W max.

Submitted by Robert Howard a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2014

Bottom Line:
Steve a Audio Enthusiast has a bit of PT Barnum in him.

The Sansui drivers, including replacements, are Japanese, nothing is JBL. Nothing was designed by JBL.

As far as the speakers, not bad, sound a bit "larger than life' if you like that sound.

Submitted by Steve a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2012

Bottom Line:
Let me first say, I read the reviews here on the SP-3500 Sansui Speakers. I worked for customer service, JBL Sound in 1974 and we would recieve the SP-3500 speakers for repair. The Cabnet design and speakers were all designed by JBL for Sansui. The replacement speakers and network deviders are all manufactured by JBL, thats the reason why the sound is so great.

Submitted by TRIPP a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2012

Bottom Line:
Bought a pair of SP-2500X at the goodwill 10 years ago for 25 bucks paired with my little Marantz 2515B sounded, Outstanding!!! Today at Goodwill found a pair of SP-3500's 53 and change for those guess I need a Bigger Marantz.... Yeah BUY these speakers if you stumble over them cause they are BOULDERS!!!!!

Submitted by Keith Davis a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2009

Bottom Line:
These speakers are Pre-1995 by about 25 years. While on my 2nd tour in Vietnam, I went to Saigon to give an after action briefing. I was supposed to return to the field later via chopper, but the flight was scrubbed due to heavy rain. I stayed in a Vietnamese hotel that night (semi-clean sheets!) and the next day found myself near a post exchange. I was just looking around because I didn't have much money with me and sort of stumbled onto these speakers … literally. They were playing CCR and as I headed toward the music, I barely bumped a display shelf, but it was enough to knock it over, making John stop at “Over on the mountain”. A buck sergeant came at the run, looked at the mess and glared at me, but not so long as I was a captain at the time. He screamed that he had just completed the setup less than 10 minutes ago and now the stuff was worthless. I pulled out what money I had and without counting it said I'll give you this for it all. He looked around at me, laughed, took my money and left. Minutes later he returned with a receipt. Not only did I get the speakers, but also there was a QX-6500 quadraphonic receiver included! I packed them up in the original boxes, grabbed a moped and returned to the compound for pickup.

They were stored in the battalion bunker for about 4 months. I was WIA and was air lifted home. My personal affects caught up with me several months later. I was surprised all my stuff was intact as looting of personal effects boxes was normal. In my last 4 months there, I managed to pick up a set of the smaller 2500 series with 12" woofer, but had to pay regular price for them and had them shipped directly home to the USA.
Here it is nearly 40 years later and I'm still using those 4 speakers and they sound as good as ever. The 3500s are L/R front with the 2500s employed as the back L/R surrounds. I've had a variety of speakers supplementing the Sansui quartet over the years, but they have remained the foundation for both music and home theater listening for four decades. Currently, the supplementation team consists of an Infinity C360 (center), Polk Audio RTi A3 (surrounds L/R) and a Klipsch SW-450 Subwoofer. Yeah, just ask me if I’ve got base, and at both ends of the room. The 3500s pump it out up front and the Klipsch does so from the side/rear of the room. An explosion in a movie makes you feel like you lit the too short fuse. The receiver is an Onkyo TX-SR707 (recently installed) and everything seems to work well together for music or movies.
I can’t imagine audio without the 3500s. I often listen to music (jazz and old rock mostly) and use ONLY the 3500s. They and the 2500s have stood the test of time well in appearance too. With a little furniture oil rubbed in a couple times per year, they look as good as when I packed them up in Saigon. The front cutouts are like new as well. I’ve listened to many other speakers as potential replacements, but I’ve always ended up spending my money on replacing or adding to the supplementation speakers instead. These speakers have become like old friends and will likely me last for the remainder of my life. Not a bad investment for less than 10 bucks.

Submitted by karister a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2009

Bottom Line:
This is an awesome sounding retro piece of work by Sansui:) Very open and deep sound stage with great detail. I'm using them as spare speakers and lovin it. Very well built heavy and solid.