Rogers LS8a Mk1 Floorstanding Speakers

4.67/5 (3 Reviews)

Floor standing British Loudspeaker

Submitted by Nick a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2010

Bottom Line:
I picked up a set of these from Ebay about a year ago. Always been a fan of the Rogers sound (brought up listening to them as my Dad has had a pair of LS6's for about 20 years now) and I've always wanted a pair of floor standers. So I saw the LS8's up for sale, and thought yep, they are mine!
Paid £350 for them on ebay.co.uk, worth every single penny. Much better than the LS7's they replaced.
Just wish I could find some original reviews!!!

Submitted by Harry Kaitis a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2001

Bottom Line:
Listening to these speakers makes you realize why the "BBC Monitor" theory had so many fans.
My LS8a's are quite modified, since all internal wiring has been replaced with High Quality AudioQuest Indigo 2 cable, crossover capacitors and resisors have been replaced with higher grade ones, and all components are now hardwired.
In addition the original internal damping material has been replaced with rockwool (which proved a great help in improving the bass definition).
Acoustic Music and Vocals are conveyed with so much detail and naturalness, you would need to pay a LOT more to get as near as close to the performance of the LS8a's.
Timbre is excellent, and in absolute Performance my "Old" LS8a's will eat my "New" and Highly acclaimed Infinity Delta 60's for breakfast.
With non Bass heavy music the Rogers simply sound like they are not there.
Comparing the sound of the Rogers with the sound produced by my Sennheiser HD600 Headphones i would dare say that they are amazingly close in midrange and treble performance.
Bass extension is remarkable too with a useful in-room extension down to about 25Hz. The Infinity's in comparison sound less extended.
To Sum up, this is a great speaker for listeners that do not demand very high volume levels, and listen primarily to high quality acoustic recordings, although they convey all kinds of music (at moderate levels) with the same magic.

Purchased At:   Craft Audio

Submitted by dazza a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 7, 1998

Bottom Line:

Hi fellow music lovers

I am posting this in the fond hope that some of you out there love your LS8a's as much as I do. I have written/emailed/faxed Rogers and What*Hi Fi magazine for info/review etc, but to no avail. I have had these spkrs hooked up to a Naim '72/'140 pre-power combo for about 4 years. The source is a NAD 517 multi cd...yes,yes, I know the purists amongst you will shudder, but the music( now digitally massaged by a Audio Alchemy Dac in the Box)ROCKS!!!

The famed Rogers "natural sound" is very evident in these spkrs. The overall quality for the price point is superb. I have listened to blues, full-on, no holds barred opera, to AC/DC, Guns'n' Roses,Enigma, Annie Lennox, to the Stones, and a varied diet of '60's stuff.The volume thru my **?//@@ expensive Naims is effortless...You want a delicate ballad crooned huskily by Sade???, perchance MPeople groovin'it up???, or Shane MacGowan of the Pogue bawling out a litany of hate and injustice at ear bleedingly loud volumes???....These babies just give it to you straight. I also use them in a home theatre set-up, and the lower frequencies, and clarity of dialogue are great. If you have listened to the Roger Waters disc with the gorilla on the front staring into a TV screen..aargh the name of the album escapes me.. there is a very disturbing track about the bombing of a city by an American air strike. There is a cacophony that rises to a awful crescendo and finishes with a baby crying... a long pause...static and a MASSIVE explosion and then finishes with birdsong.. The Rogers connect these traumatic musical images straight into your soul. I would be really interested to hear any other opinions as reviews are really difficult to source.