Richter Acoustics Wizard MKII Floorstanding Speakers

3.78/5 (9 Reviews)

Home Theater Loud Speakers

Submitted by Dragan Lalic a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2003

Bottom Line:
The richter wizards Mk11 are a fnatastic match for any modest amp.10 years on they still excite in an dynamically rich sense that differentiate. They have distinctive brave character that most would sometimes claim as lacking in class. This combo stands out as a contradiction that i find reassuring whenever i sample other hi end specification focus intergration. who's sum total equal sterile insecurity. Yes they can be tireing but what a nice fix it is.

Purchased At:   norlec hi-fi Melb

Submitted by andygasson a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2002

Bottom Line:
These Richter Wizard Mark II speakers have served me well. I've had them for years, and they have been willing partners in just about everything I've thrown at them, from Tool to Mozart. Initially I was very happy with them, but then began to fiddle, as one does. First, out came the cheap foam lining and in went some sonex - this improved the "tightness" no end. Then out went the crossovers, replaced by a set of 12db butterworths I built from a Jaycar kit, along with new cable. They really showed great potential at this point, and I left them like this for about 3 years and was satisfied with such a great pair of speakers for such a small amount of money. The last thing I did was get a pair of power amps (Nad 2140's) and build an active crossover to bi-wire the Richters. Wow. These speakers can compete with anything worth up to $5000. They are a little "bright", but they always were - that's why I bought them. Recently I built a pair of transmission-line speakers to replace them so now they are having a well earned rest but I have no plans to part with them as they are like old friends. Sometimes I even miss them....

Purchased At:   2nd hand from a frie

Submitted by Daniel Lawson a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2000

Bottom Line:
These are good speakers. They are very clear and crisp sounding and can handle volume. Need good stands. Not for the faint hearted though. As I like to listen to dub reggae a lot I find them perfect for this. Rock is also easily catered for. As for classical music - suprisingly enough they are listenable as they produce quality reproduction.
However, I suspect this is because I am running Rotel RA971 with good interconnects. For the money these speakers are more than adequate and have a distinctive live intimate sound to them. They are well built too, with an unusual front cover. Unfortunately, I suspect they are only available in Australia. I have been hapily using them for over 3 years.

Submitted by Shane Leviston a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2000

Bottom Line:
My speakers are series I richter wizards, that I have had for over 5 years of hard use. They still sound fantastic, they only lack for deep bass after listening to newer systems, due to most new systems demo'd using subs. I've a Yamaha 790 Amp, Richter Hydra rears, A Unicorn Center. There's also a review on this site about the unicorn which bags the crap out of it. I've found it **extremely** good considering the limited power I've been feeding it. Of Course the bass is no where neer as deep as the Wizards, but is very clear and defined. High frequency sounds are great also. I've never had anyone that's listened to this system even lacking a sub-woofer be anything other than impressed. Richter Rules!!! For a great quality, reasonably priced speaker for suround sound, and music I couldn't be happier. Bring on the richter subbie, that's next for my system. I'm not saying there better or worse than any other speaker, they sound great to me though.

Submitted by David a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2000

Bottom Line:
When I bought these speakers (5 years ago) I thought they were the best thing since sliced bread. I heard a LD demo of the opening sequence in Cliffhanger on an all-Richter system (inc. bipolar rears) and it blew me away. I listened to all my old music again, and it brought recordings to life.

Another reason I bought them was to support the Australian hi-fi industry, but my desire to do that now has waned. All Oz speakers sound the same - in-your-face, no class at all. Very Australian you might say!

Over the years I've grown tired of Wizards. They have no finesse, no class, no soundstage, no imaging. They're a damn good all round speaker for your average music listener who wants something more than the $1500 sub/sat/reciever package from your local chain store. But don't think these are true high-end speakers.

I recently upgraded the internal wiring (used monster-type Neotech cable at $6/m) and added some extra damping material, which improved the sound no end, but I am still going to upgrade them.