Revel Ultima Studio Floorstanding Speakers

4.53/5 (19 Reviews) MSRP : $9995.00

Full range loudspeaker

Submitted by martin a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2013

Bottom Line:
These are ugly speakers. Don't buy them if you are married or intend to ever have a girlfriend. UGLY

Submitted by sa_chak a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2006

Bottom Line:
I have used these loudspeakers now for 3 years and am extremely satisfied with their performance to price ratio. Bass is extremely tight and detailed. Highs are extended and mid-range clarity are just some of it's strong suits. While other manufacturer's of moving coil loudspeakers have produced similar results at far more expensive pricing; I doubt that one will find an overall performer such as the Studios at this price point. Definitely requires a high current amplifier to come alive and produce explosive dynamics. A highly technical performer whose attributes can expose deficiencies elsewhere within one's system. Partnered with similar quality components the Studios will produce endless hours of musical listening. Highly recommended.

Purchased At:   Audio Ark

Submitted by thielejw a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2005

Bottom Line:
Purchased the Revel Studios approximately two years ago to replace a pair of Snell Type Ds (another Kevin Voecks design)in a secondary audio system. Have since added the Revel Voice and four Thiel Power Points for the "home theater" experience. Although I'm of the impression that many who post reviews at this web site do so to justify their purchases, much of what has been previously written is accurate. These are very uncolored speakers that pretty much give you what they are fed further up in the audio chain. I would describe them as more transparent than romantic, as they do not impart a large sonic signature of their own to the music. More detailed and dynamic than my B&W M801s. Used with an amplifier capable of delivering current as well as high resolution sources such as that of SACD or DVD-A, the sound is stunning. Not having brought home similar priced competition, I'm not in a position to compare the Studios with other popular speakers from companies such as Wilson, Martin-Logan, Vandersteen, B&W, etc. I have however heard a great majority of these speakers at A/V stores and shows, and while they all have their own set of strengths, I can only say that the Revels compare very favorably. Not being of independent wealth, I had to think more than twice before spending $10,000.00 on a pair of speakers. Given my love of music and the enjoyment derived from the Studios, I would conclude they are worth their price. Mate very well with the Revel Voice to produce a seamless soundstage during use of Dolby Pro Logic II and DTS 6.1 surround sound modes.

Purchased At:   Flanner's Audio & Vi

Submitted by markhelton a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2003

Bottom Line:
These speakers are the best speaker for the money that I know of. They rival speakers that cost about double the price. (Avalon Acoustic Eidolon and the Sonus Faber Amati).

One advantage I find with these speakers is that your electronics to do not have be incredible to get really good sound out of them, although my system is pretty decent. (The Eidolons especially need the ultimate electronics or they just won't come to life, and they suck power!).

These sound as good with acoustic music as they do with rock. They can get loud and still sound great. (I loved my old Martin Logan Sequel II's, but they would not get loud enough, and the sweet spot was so small, that only one person could really enjoy the sound.)

Their looks are VERY modern, especially with the aluminium panels. However, we just remodeled the living room and went with modern furniture, so they kind of blend nicely. The Wife Acceptance Factor (W.A.F.) was higher than for the Sequels.

I do recommend having a really good, and powerful amp (200W/ch).

My system:
ARC LS_2 preamp
ARC PH3 phone preamp
Mark Levinson No. 23 amp
Sony 9000ES CD and SACD player
Basis TT, with RB 300 arm and Glider II.
MIT 770 CVT speaker cable
MIT, Straight wire, Kinber interconnects.

Submitted by FA Gunawan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2003

Bottom Line:
I just has upgraded my loudspeaker from B&W Nautilus 802 to Revel Studio. Nautilus 802 has a more soft and transparant mid & high, but not focus and detail. Nautilus 802 also do not has a tigh bass compare to Revel Studio. Revel studio has a very clean and detail sound, with focus, deep and big soundstage.I still has an old Acoustat Spectra 66 loudspeaker with a very natural sound but with a limited bass. I used NAD S200 to power those loudspeakers, I am just thinking about to upgrade it to a new Bryston 7B SST monoblok or ML 335.

Purchased At:   Kardian Audio, Jakar

Ajani...Revel Ultima Studio 2...Theata, and Levinson! Boy what a night!

...Peabody and I was invited to a audio party over at the dealers house Saturday night who sold Peabody the Revel F52's. This time we listened to the Revel Studio 2's. First being driven by a Mark Levinson preamp and a Theata amp at 100 watts per channel. We where just floored at that combo espec ... Read More »