Rega R7 Floorstanding Speakers

• Three-way driver system
  • 7" bass driver

Submitted by ardilla a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2009

Bottom Line:
After auditioning a dousin of speakers in the price range, I bought these for 1500 Euro (Demo-pair). Retail price in Norway is 2400 Euros, a price I gladely would have paid had I not been so fortunate. The other speakers I audtitioned was Audiovector S3 super, Dynaudio Excite X32 (I really liked those), Dali mentor 5, Audio Physics Yara II Classic, System Audio 1750, Dynaudio Focus 220, B&W C7 and others. I started out with the Regas, did the round, and went back to the Regas. It was like coming home. The bass is powerful but controled, the mids and highs are engaging and open. They are not too bright (Like Dali Mentor 5 and Audio Physics Yara II Classic), and not to dark (Like the S3 Super and the BW CM7). That is: for my taste, and importantly - with my amplifier.

I power my Regas with a Marantz PM7001KI amp, my CD player is a Marantz SA7001KI. I have put them in the traditionally worst position a speaker could be placed: In a corner (a corner for each speaker, that is) - but the R7 don't mind at all - they play beautifully. I love them - no less. Especially the acoustic part of my music collection sounds rawishing.

Strengths:

Easy to position (can be placed in a corner with the woofers facing inwards, can also be placed close to the back wall)
Detailed and engaging.
Neutral (not to bright/drak)

Weaknesses:

Some find cabinets ugly (I don't)
Binding-posts could be more solid
Don't like bright-sounding cables

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by BeatleBoy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2007

Bottom Line:
The R7 loudspeaker ably continues Rega's fine tradition of making very musical, listenable audio components with reasonable pricing that are wholly designed and built in the United Kingdom. I've owned several very good speakers over the years, each from highly capable manufacturers, and absolutely none of them has engaged me like the pair of Rega R7s has. The sound is nicely detailed and "accurate" without the attendant brightness or harshness that many other speakers posses. The midrange is natural--voices, male and female--seem utterly "real" and fleshed out. The bass, being a transmission-line design is also superb: weighty and full, yes, but also with articulate speed and snap. All of this overall audio excellence and seemless driver integration may come from the fact that Rega makes their own drivers in-house, in the UK.

I listen to primarily rock music (all kinds, from "classic" to "indie" to everything in between) and the R7s play it all. The slam of Led Zeppelin or The Who is well rendered; and, the swagger of The Stones and the intricacy of The Beatles are highlighted as well. 80's synth-pop sounds great as does the newer "alt.country" of Wilco or Son Volt. Jazz from Miles to Coltrane sounds organic and alive as well. Nothing played through the Rega R7s sound less than musical and enjoyable; they are an "audiophile" product for people who care more about the music being played than what the music is being played on.

These are also the easiest speakers to place in a room that I've ever used. Simply give them a bit of room (inches, not feet) and place them firing forward and you have music.

The cabinets are very stylish (pictures simply don't do the R7 justice) and well-made, though perhaps not quite up the standards of some other higher-end models.

Purchased At:   Eugene Hi Fi

Submitted by Capeman a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2006

Bottom Line:
Fabulous communicator of musical detail with insight that will leave fans of classical and blues with large smiles on their dials. This speaker doesn't require huge power but improves greatly high quality amplification.

There is a smooth open naturalness that brings out the inner working of complex scores. The R7`s cope very well with female vocal, rendering it with lifelike qualities that many other speakers only dream to produce.

Bass response is even and goes quite low for a thin floorstanding speaker. I really respect this speaker across all styles of music. I believe if your searching for the truth this could be the speaker your after.

Construction is good with design well planned and unique.

Enjoy your cd collection anew