Rega Jura Floorstanding Speakers

4.33/5 (18 Reviews)

The Jura is Rega's all purpose floor-standing loudspeaker. The bass reflex design works just as well with digital electronic music as it does with acoustic music and can perform very well at high volumes. The Jura is also a great choice for integration in an AV system where it will offer a higher musical sound quality than many AV dedicated loudspeakers.

Submitted by dave maysh a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2002

Bottom Line:
Dear Rega
Why cannot you help/advise/understand, some of your customers?
We may be a sad bunch but @ least we do endevour to purchase your products.
I STILL have an outstanding request in relation to my XEL speakers ( as repeated below )
I am sure that someone with empathy within your organisation must be able to advise, just a little would do.
So here I am again, trying to pursuade you to offer some advice other than " that,s the way we made it etc"
regards
dave
PS see some extracts below, that make me feel that I am not the only one that has concerns, regards your feedback.
Extracts:- un-open in terms of technical information!!!!!!!!! disappointed about the Rega company technical attitude

UK Based
I have a gorgeous pair of your Rega XEL speakers. Although the wife loves the looks ( rosewood ) I am finding that they tend to be a bit bright and tiring side, of late. I dearly wish to keep them as our main speakers because of their appearance.
Now to the naughty bit, I decided to inspect the details of the XOVER units. They look like 1st order of 1995 vintage with 2 inductors and a 3.3uF capacitor.
Guessing that the XOVER kicks in @ around 5KHz my theorectical thoughts are to change them to XOVER @ around 3KHz based on a 2nd order XOVER.
This may diffuse the brightness and firm up the bass/midrange.
Please advise if you found similar needs to affect the performance in this way and if so recommend the best way forward.
I am even happy to replace all the drive units with ANY that you feel may be of an upgrade. ( price is not a problem, just perfection )
I hope I haven,t offended with my comments.
regards
dave
PS Equipment used is Naim 250 or AVI Monoblocks with associated pre-amps to suit.

Purchased At:   Audio T

Submitted by snaporaz a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2002

Bottom Line:
I already wrote a review soem time ago. What I would like to propose here is a quite simple cross-over modification that will smoothen the treble and improve the transition midrange / treble. There is no change of the cut-off frequency, only a slightly different roll-off curve and a slight attenuation in the mid-treble range.
Here goes:
Change the 3.3 microfarad capacitor for a 3.0 microfarad capacitor and add another 47 microfarad capacitor after the incutance pole, just before the tweeter. What you get is a 3° order cross-over instead of 2° order: 3.0 microfarad in series, then a 0.39 mH inductor in parallel to another capacitor of 47 microfarad in series with the tweeter.
I tried at least 10/15 modifications before coming to this conclusion that attenuates the tweeter just where it needs to, without compromising the midrange and keeping the correct phase offset for a still very focused sound in the woofer / tweeter transition. The treble gets less harsh and more refined, especially in combination with my new TAC 34 tube amplifier.
Whoever drives these speakers in a rather reverbering room (wooden floor, long flat uncovered walls, windows...) and struggles with a treble that's a bit too crisp, should try this quite easy modification.

Purchased At:   Pink Noise

Submitted by guy nadeau a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
Cette enceinte acoustique est splendide dans tous les sens du terme.Elle sonne bien des le debut et continue de s,epanouir à tous les jours.La basse est très presente,profonde,precise et spectaculaire.Le mid et le tweeter sont eux aussi fantastiques.Le mid est neutre et naturel;le tweeeter est lui aussi bien defini,tres naturel et presente une belle etendue.Chaque partie du spectre fait toujours bien son travail de facon homogene;elles sont toutes très efficaces.

Purchased At:   Cora hifi QUEBEC CIT

Submitted by Lewis Graham a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2002

Bottom Line:
I auditioned these speakers, along with six other pairs, at the dealers over a two hour session and they stood out for what I listen to (orchestral, opera, chamber music) as being perfectly capable.

Having my wife (a non-hifi person) along proved interesting: within a few minutes of hearing these, she turned to me ans said that she could hear the difference and she loved them.

They were more perhaps a little more than I'd planned to spend, but they have proved a pleasure and should cope with my next upgrade of CD/Amplifier.

Purchased At:   Radlett Audio, St. Albans, UK

Submitted by scott a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2001

Bottom Line:
Can't miss with other Rega products--synergy, period.
This is a sophisticated two way speaker that I think represents value for your money, and I tend to take that approach with all products that I purchase. These speakers sound especially fine with Jazz, solo vocalists with big bands, pop and rock. I think the most impressive thing with the Jura's are they are so easy on the ear and that can be hard to find at this price point or even double. Definately worth a listen.

Classe Ca-101 amp
Classe Cp-35 preamp
rega jupiter cd transport with IO DaC
Carver tuner-would like to upgrade to a Magnum Dynalab (someday)
Interconnects-Van de Hul the first, Mit terminator2, pbj Kimber Kable
Speaker Cable- Mit Terminator4 (note: total bass master for these speakers)
Accessories-black diamond racing pyramid cones sitting on Mdf shelves isolated on rubber (because the stand is an antique pine dry sink)

I would also like to upgrade to Gershman Acoustics Avan Gardes speakers $3500.00 U.S. but I've been thinking I'm very satisfied with the set up I have now, so this upgrade may not come!

Purchased At:   toronto home of audiophile