Rega El8 Floorstanding Speakers

4.63/5 (8 Reviews)

Submitted by micthetic a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2013

Bottom Line:
I came across these speakers at a well known UK cash chequeing outlet for £19.99.They were very poor cosmetically,probably the worst i've seen.They were the earliest examples with the spike supporting bar running front to back. Without being properly set up my immediate impressions weren't great, detailed but thin would be how i described it.So i fitted bolts to replace the missing spikes and angled them up , opting to site them 10cm from the back wall away from corners. They were being paired with a rather modest NAD 304 and the sound was still falling short.I elected to engage the tone controls, something i never do, to give the bass a slight lift. The results were astonishing to be quite frank, only the slightest increase, any more and the soundstage, that vital ingredient, suffered. What i now have for £20 plus £3 at the diy store is a speaker that has excellent timing, communicating the music in such a way as to render concerns about bass extention etc redundant.
For their modest size, and we're talking tiny for a floorstander, they produce enough quality bass for most listeners.If your penchant is for organ music then you really should be looking at something larger, much larger.They deal with all other music with aplomb, yes they do have a sweet spot regarding volume, but thats just like every other speaker i've had.
If you come across a pair jump on them, there arent many better for the price.

Submitted by cchean a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
Since I have a lot of speakers, I keep changing them in my audio setup, but I must say that I have used the EL8s for many years. They have a very well defined midrange and treble clarity for the money and their tonal balance is one of the most refined that I have ever heard. They also have deep bass, but you will most likely "hear" it instead of "feeling" it, I believe other reviewers here already said that and I agree with them. I feel that there's something missing in the bass. I have attempted to use a subwoofer to cure that and found out that it didn't do any help, mainly because, as I said, these speakers Do have deep bass. I guess that there's something missing in the upper bass to the lower mid frequencies region. Other than that, they are real very fine speakers, and if you can find a pair in the used market, maybe you've got yourself a pretty good deal for the money.

Purchased At:   Raul Duarte, Sao Pau

Submitted by Sohn I. C. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2001

Bottom Line:
Many loudspeakers are advertised its good treble or bass, but the problem is that they would be lost its unity of timbre(especially B&W products). I was charmed with EL8 that this loudspeakers have uniform timbre from bass to treble and it makes musics more musically.
And EL8 has brilliant mid to high with high resolution and it makes musics sweet and colorful. The only weakness of EL8 is that bass is not strong/thumping. It probably is due to samll paper corn units, but they can produce the lower bass that I can hear, though.
Though it left me 1 year ago, I would't forget that sweet sound of EL8.

Purchased At:   Korea

Submitted by Alan Patrick a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2000

Bottom Line:
If you are like me, an audo enthusiast with a (reasonable) budget, these speakers are tremendous value for money.

Purchased At:   United Kingdom

Submitted by Alexa a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2000

Bottom Line:
Overall I have really enjoyed these speakers. They have a good clear sound that is really superior to many products in it's price range. These speakers are an excellent buy for anyone who wants great sound and doesn't want to spend $1000+

Purchased At:   Accent on Music