Rega Alya Floorstanding Speakers

4.55/5 (11 Reviews)

A compact floor-standing loudspeaker utilising a two-stage acoustic filter/bass reflex design. The Alya will work in most domestic hi-fi situations and is ideally suited for listening in smaller rooms when coupled with lower powered amplifiers such as the Rega Brio.

Submitted by mezzanine a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2005

Bottom Line:
Nice speakers. I was surprised by them. They grow on you over time. Easy on the ear and most impotantly they get to the heart of the music on an emotional level.You can hear all the details without them soundeing sharp. They are clear and smooth with good dynamics. Fast response from the small woofer driver and nice top end with the soft dome tweeter.

Submitted by Gino Lavoie a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought my Rega Alyas speakers in 2000. The most important thing for me was the compatibility with analog and digital equipments. I compared with others products from kef (cresta), totem, dynaudio (audience 52), acoustic energy and rega (ara). With my budget vs my needs the Raga alya was the best choice for me. The alyas are nice with both digital and analogue sources. The high frequencies are clear. The bass is honest but not enough deep for me that's why I bought a B&W subwoofer last week. The medium are exceptionnal particularly with piano. I listen classical, rock, jazz and pop with my alyas with satisfaction. But if you like deep bass, you must use a subwoofer for the pop and the rock.

Purchased At:   Audioville - Montréa

Submitted by Adam a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have found a classic electic guitar practically brand new all thats missing is a base bridge.

Submitted by O Ortolani a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought the Regas after having auditioned KEFs, Missions and some pricey Linns. I wanted a small floor stander that wouldn't be too much for a living room on the small side. For that the Alya's are perfect (and the design adds to any room). More importantly, the clarity of jazz and classical on these speakers is fantastic. They are excellent with any acoustic instruments, as well as vocals. Mid range is particularly good and the bass is decent. On the other hand, loud rock and dance tracks wouldn't be a strength for these speakers.

Purchased At:   Oranges & Lemons, Lo

Submitted by dave a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought the Alya to replace my Acoustic Energy Aegis One on Christmas. The Aegis one is already pretty good but wanted to try something new.

Love it immediately when I opened the box. (I have the beech color) Very well finish and design. Also the size is so cute for a floorstand.

When I first heard it, compared it with Aegis One, the Aegis One seems to have a heavier bass. But after a couple weeks, I found the bass of Alya is very tight and informational. Aegis One becomes relatively boomy. Another big difference is that Alya has a much more open sounding. It is very obvious when I played musical CD (Phantom, Les Mes, ....). Tried to put it very close to the wall (like 2 inch), the bass is too much and started to loss control. Put it about 6 to 8 inch away from the wall makes it sound much better.

For the weaknesses, the mid-range of Aegis one is a bit more revealing. Probably, it is the difference between alloy and paper cone. Also, because of the height, if you hear carefully, the music sometimes sounds like from somewhere low.

In conclusion, I think this is a great product. It is very informational and can bring you into the music.

My system: