Realistic Mach One Floorstanding Speakers

4.65/5 (51 Reviews)

3-Way Speaker

Submitted by James a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2014

Bottom Line:
To be accurate the first generation Mach Ones with the 10 screws in the plate are BETTER in terms of the crossover used and the better non rotting woofer suspension.
The plates crack due to pressure waves caused buy the woofer. Not the amount of screws.
Do the mods on audiokarma and these bad boys will blow you away.

You will spend at least 2 grand to equal the sound of these. They need a quality amp. Vintage. Not the new plastic black mass market crap of today.

Submitted by Mark ....an Audio Enthusiast a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2013

Bottom Line:
I've owned a pair of Radio Shack's 'infamous' Mach One speakers for almost three decades
now and didn't realize that anyone even remembered these old 'heavyweights' from the past.
I worked for the company from 1979-1980 and again from 2001 to 2007. I sold several sets
of the original 4024 version - which were current in the pre-1980's lineup. They were some of
the best speakers I've heard EVER in the under $500(per pair)category, and that includes
Advent/KLH, Altec/JBL consumer models and other top names of that time. When I went
to Japan in 1979, I saw the domestic equivalent of the U.S. model and was just as highly impressed with the sound. The foam surrounds on my 4029 woofers lasted almost 20 years
and then began to crumble. I looked into replacing the woofers with 15 inch JBLs but the cost of the replacements would have been more than I originally paid for the speakers. I had the woofers refoamed but the repair shop couldn't obtain exact original materials so they substituted Cerwin Vega materials - but I wasn't happy with the sound afterward. Before Radio Shack closed out their line of raw replacement speaker drivers, I decided to replace the original 6-ohm woofers(the gold basket ones) with Radio Shack's own 8-ohm 100 watt 15 inch woofers with the polypropylene cones(40-1301a). And now these speakers sound BETTER than they did even NEW with the original woofers! I tweaked my system and ran them for over four hours continuously at 100 watts per channel and they never showed any signs of strain or degradation of sound quality. The only home speakers I've heard since my 'upgrade' that sounded better are audiophile speakers costing five to ten times as much as the Machs originally sold for. I bought my 4029s for $140.00 a piece when Radio Shack was closing out the model from the line and replacing them with the Mach Two(which wasn't anywhere near as good). And the woofer replacements only cost me around $180.00. I'll still be rocking these refurbed 'babies' as long as they last......and they just might even outlast ME!

Submitted by josh burkett a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2013

Bottom Line:
I just bought the mach ones after searching for the perfect pair on ebay. I have the 4024 model. Sound good? Yeah. Loud? No doubt. Handle extreme power? No question. I do like them however I will be prob one of the only to give a review that may make people question. I have a pair of realistic optimus t110 that no doubt have better sound quality. But let me explain... I installed a tweeter and crossover from the klipsch sb2 model. I matched them with a dayton woofer (reference) and a dayton passive radiator. Sound quality does not compare. My towers have more range by far but do not have the "punch" that the mach ones have. The towers can handle 100 watts rms all day but the mach ones will take that and laugh. All in all.....hapoy that I have them. I use them to jam at extreme levels. I use my t110's when I want a sweet sound that is unmatched. I would put those up against the best. Ive had many models from klipsch and im telling you my t110's are unmatched. So sweet.

Submitted by Clay a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2012

Bottom Line:
Like you need another Mach One review! Mine are of the 4029 type witha 4-ohm woofer. When I got them, someone had replaced the (no doubt ruined) original woofers with some junk and they sounded thin and unremarkable. I found perfect replacements at parts-express.com and put them in. Immediate improvement, but the lower mids still were thin. I did my due diligence and went to audiokarma.org and learned about the Tier 1 upgrade. A fair amount of work, but brother, let me tell you...it was worth it! Truly awesome sound now, shakes the whole house. I've found them to be listenable on all types of music, though classical will tend to point out the flaws. Sinatra never sounded better and classic rock is what these are all about! If you like the sound of a rock band live, you will dig these monsters. If you get a pair, consider doing the Tier 1 upgrade. It's not difficult and makes these things +/-3dB, which is amazing for '70s tech! At the very least, replace the capacitors in the crossovers. They're old and weak. Oh, and don't use a modern "home theater" amp on them. At least on the 4029s. They draw lots of juice due to the 4-ohm woofer and they won't sound good. When I switched from my Yamaha to my old Sansui 7070, they woke right up! Enjoy them-they are classics.

Submitted by John Bergmann a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2012

Bottom Line:
I purchased my Mach One's in the late '70's $199.00 each. At the time they were a Very reasonably priced, and Very top quality alternative, to all the top dollar, "high end" audiophile speakers on the marked. The JVC Amp I had at the time only pushed out around 45 watts RMS but the Mach ones would still vibrate things off the shelves - and do it with no distortion that I could detect. Once I found the globe on a decorative oil lamp shattered after a nights partying with the speakers getting a good workout: Ain't sayin' the speakers did it, but the lamp Was well protected from the partiers - and it Was in one piece the day before!!! My pair is over 30 years old and the foam is still going strong! Another commenter has stated that the plastic around the tweeter screws tends to crack - not on mine.
My partyin' days are over; but I still like to feel the music become a part of me once in a while and these speakers don't miss a lick - even with only 60 watts RMS driving them!
I have heard JBL's, and many of the high end speakers, and nothing against how they sound: But I get the same, even better than some, performance out of my Mach one's. My only regret is that when I bought mine I didn't buy a second pair for surround! I have read on line that possibly the Woofer coils of the early units were made by Altec Lansing? Might explain that shattered lamp globe?

My Realistic Mach One Restoration

So I just bought a pair of 4024 realistic mach ones from a local that are beat, i mean BEAT. looking like they came outa si-fi movie. Now im just playing, there not bad. I do have sorta a plan of what needs to be done.......,.,.,.,.,. They are the originals so they do have the long lasting su ... Read More »

realistic mach one speakers!!!

being offered a pair for a great price in okay shape. all drivers work and they are the 4024 ones I do rekin. Will need alot of tlc and a nice soft popout of the one pushed in dust cap. (I hold on to the woofer and use a soft mode vac hose. always works for me!....anyone else do anything less chance ... Read More »

Mach One Speakers

Hello I will not use the caps lock key this time.May name is Greg as I said earlier I have a pair of mach ones. I purchased these when they came out:thumbsup: in the 80's maybe earlier. I have replaced the woofer with ma (memphis audio). they sound as good if not better than originals. These speak ... Read More »

realistic mach one help

hello im new to the forum world but i like to read them to help me in my decisions. any way i have a mint pair of realistic mach ones and i have a spare set of woofers that were given to me. i would like to use the spares for subs so i was going to build a pair of sub cabs to match the mach's. here ... Read More »

Mach one speakers

I have a pair of mint Realistic Mach ones mod 4024 and the mid horn on one of them almost wasn't there, I opened it up and found the magnet had separated and moved over a bit so I pulled it off applied some marine glue and reattached I centered it wile it was running so I could here the best soun ... Read More »