Realistic Mach One Floorstanding Speakers

4.66/5 (53 Reviews)

3-Way Speaker

Submitted by LMoore a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2016

Bottom Line:
In 1981 I bought my dream stereo system at Radio Shack. I bought the STA-2300 reciever and bought 2 Mach ones to take home and put 2 more on layaway and brought them home later. My first set were later vintage because they had the springed spkr terminals and my layaway set were demo models with the screw to secure the spkr wires.
I always thought the Machs weren't bright enough so I always ended up running the eq up high on the top end. As a result I ended up frying the tweeters on the spring terminal set and couldn't find a replacement. So I ended up with a realistic replacement dual piezo tweeter for both spkrs and had to modify the Machs for it to fit. I thought the piezo tweeter degraded the sound of the Mach because piezo's sound brash and harsh and are not as good as compression drive tweeters.
Over the years the spring terminal set has the foam surround deteriorating badly but the screw terminal earlier set is still in great shape, The spring terminal set has speaker grilles made of smooth material whereas the screw terminl set has grilles that are more fuzzy something like terry cloth.
Using linseed oil on the cabinets keep them shiny and on like new condition.
Back in the 70's alot of people made fun of Realistic audio equipment and didn't take it seriously but Radio Shack carried excellent quality stuff that stands the test of time. I still ise my system daily and even after 35 years of use it is still as good as the day I bought the system.

Submitted by Rodger a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2016

Bottom Line:
This is going to be a different twist on a Mach One review....I built my Mach Ones! In 1979 I was in High school and found out I could order from RS National Parts the individual mid-range horns(2), woofers(2) and crossovers(2), plus purchase off the shelf RS bullet tweeters(2) and RS L-pads(4) for less than the cost of 1 Mach one! So I built my own cabinets from quality nine ply Birch plywood and did not put the mid range horn in its own box within the cabinet. This increases the cubic feet of the enclosure fairly significantly and extends the bass response. I have had my home built Mach Ones in storage with large Lawn trash bags over them for over 15 years. My son recently moved out so I now have a man cave and set up an old school Analogue system....McIntosh MX114 tuner/pre-amp, McIntosh MC2105 Amp, Mach Ones, Pioneer PL518 direct drive with Shure V-15 type V-MR and a Marantz 93SE single disk CD. I was shocked to find no foam rot on the first generation 15" woofers after all this time...plus being stored in an out-building with no temp or humidity control! I find they do sound better if elevated off of the carpeted floor by about a foot and located approx 4" from the wall. I put some modern Jazz (Fourplay) in the Marantz and was absolutely blown away by how tight the bass is, how accurate the midrange is on stringed instruments and the shear magnitude and sound pressure these giants can generate at moderate power levels from a good amp is amazing. I am glad I held on to them all this time. BTW if you have not done the math these are 37 years old now!

Submitted by James a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2014

Bottom Line:
To be accurate the first generation Mach Ones with the 10 screws in the plate are BETTER in terms of the crossover used and the better non rotting woofer suspension.
The plates crack due to pressure waves caused buy the woofer. Not the amount of screws.
Do the mods on audiokarma and these bad boys will blow you away.

You will spend at least 2 grand to equal the sound of these. They need a quality amp. Vintage. Not the new plastic black mass market crap of today.

Submitted by Mark ....an Audio Enthusiast a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2013

Bottom Line:
I've owned a pair of Radio Shack's 'infamous' Mach One speakers for almost three decades
now and didn't realize that anyone even remembered these old 'heavyweights' from the past.
I worked for the company from 1979-1980 and again from 2001 to 2007. I sold several sets
of the original 4024 version - which were current in the pre-1980's lineup. They were some of
the best speakers I've heard EVER in the under $500(per pair)category, and that includes
Advent/KLH, Altec/JBL consumer models and other top names of that time. When I went
to Japan in 1979, I saw the domestic equivalent of the U.S. model and was just as highly impressed with the sound. The foam surrounds on my 4029 woofers lasted almost 20 years
and then began to crumble. I looked into replacing the woofers with 15 inch JBLs but the cost of the replacements would have been more than I originally paid for the speakers. I had the woofers refoamed but the repair shop couldn't obtain exact original materials so they substituted Cerwin Vega materials - but I wasn't happy with the sound afterward. Before Radio Shack closed out their line of raw replacement speaker drivers, I decided to replace the original 6-ohm woofers(the gold basket ones) with Radio Shack's own 8-ohm 100 watt 15 inch woofers with the polypropylene cones(40-1301a). And now these speakers sound BETTER than they did even NEW with the original woofers! I tweaked my system and ran them for over four hours continuously at 100 watts per channel and they never showed any signs of strain or degradation of sound quality. The only home speakers I've heard since my 'upgrade' that sounded better are audiophile speakers costing five to ten times as much as the Machs originally sold for. I bought my 4029s for $140.00 a piece when Radio Shack was closing out the model from the line and replacing them with the Mach Two(which wasn't anywhere near as good). And the woofer replacements only cost me around $180.00. I'll still be rocking these refurbed 'babies' as long as they last......and they just might even outlast ME!

Submitted by josh burkett a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2013

Bottom Line:
I just bought the mach ones after searching for the perfect pair on ebay. I have the 4024 model. Sound good? Yeah. Loud? No doubt. Handle extreme power? No question. I do like them however I will be prob one of the only to give a review that may make people question. I have a pair of realistic optimus t110 that no doubt have better sound quality. But let me explain... I installed a tweeter and crossover from the klipsch sb2 model. I matched them with a dayton woofer (reference) and a dayton passive radiator. Sound quality does not compare. My towers have more range by far but do not have the "punch" that the mach ones have. The towers can handle 100 watts rms all day but the mach ones will take that and laugh. All in all.....hapoy that I have them. I use them to jam at extreme levels. I use my t110's when I want a sweet sound that is unmatched. I would put those up against the best. Ive had many models from klipsch and im telling you my t110's are unmatched. So sweet.