Quad ESL-2905 Floorstanding Speakers

4.4/5 (10 Reviews) MSRP : $9000.00

The new version of the ESL-989.
Maximum Power Output 2N/m2 at 2m on-axis
Programme Peak (permitted) 55V
Distortion (100dB @1m) - Above 1kHz 0.0015
Distortion (100dB @1m) - Above 100Hz 0.005
Distortion (100dB @1m) - Above 50Hz 0.01
Frequency Response 32Hz - 21kHz (-6dB), 28Hz - 23kHz (usable)
Axis band limits -6dB at 35Hz (3rd Order)
Axis band limits (low level) -6dB >25kHz
AC input 220-240V or 110-120V
Power fuse 100mA anti-surge (100-120V)
Dimensions (H x W x D) 1430 x 695 x 385mm (add 25-55mm for feet)
Weight 34.8kg net

Submitted by kb0000 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2015

Bottom Line:
These are current version of the classic Quad ESL-63 speakers. I am the first person living in the Western Hemisphere to own the ESL 63 speakers, of which I now have two pairs, one International Monitor, and one American Monitor. There came a time when Quad was purchased by a Chinese company, and Quads are now made in China, unlike the ESL-63. There was considerable criticism of the ESL-63 for panel failure, which was, as Raj J a AudioPhile noted, almost always due to overpowering the speaker. However, Raj is way off track when he says, " those who say these speakers have failed and have faulty pannels - please don't lie! you have either abused the pannels by over-driving them or someone else in your household has abused them - again this category of people are idiots! the above two types of people DO NOT deserve Quad ESL's, because thet are IMMATURE!"

I use a Berning EA-230 amp with my Quads-- 30 watts per channel (the amp Stereophile declared is the perfect match with the Quads). That is not "over-driving them", and I have never had any problem with my ESL 60s in some 33 years of use.

Somewhere along the line, some Chinese company bought Quad. While the original Quad 60s were both designed and built in England, today's Quads are designed in England and built in China, the world wide standard for crappy quality. Panels fail in today's ESL speakers because the Chines can't build a decent product, not because owners abuse the speaker. Raj J is 30 years behind the times. Years ago, Quad's engineers beefed up the speakers circuits to withstand overdriving. The problem today is Chines quality control, which does not exist.

In between the ESL63 and the ESL2905 came the ESL960, also made in China, which I made the mistake of buying. The 960 was a small, but noticeable sonic improvement over the ESL63, but a panel failed in both speakers within 6 years of use-- use, not overdriving. On the other hand, my 33 year old UK made Quads are still going strong with no problems.

When you experience panel failure with this incompetently built speaker, your problems are just starting. Getting it fixed is practically impossible. When both my ESL 960s failed after a mere 6 years, Quad's solution was for me ship them (they ship at 100 lbs each) 1200 miles to Quad's authorized service center. Never did that because the authorized service center never replied to my emails.

These are very good speakers. They are also very expensive speakers. They are also very likely to fail, and, when they fail, they are very expensive to fix if you are lucky enough to manage to get them fixed.

I'm 73 years old. I've been using Quad ESL speakers for 33 years, and I hope that the two remaining still working pairs of the ESL63 I have will last as long as I do because I never again will buy anything made by Quad because it is overpriced Chinese junk (think about it. There is a pun there).

Submitted by Colin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2012

Bottom Line:
I am purchasing the classique 2905's. I would like to put them onto a base plate with small castors. Can anyone provide the overall base dimensions for the base plate and the positions of the spikes so I don't have any clashes with the castor bolts?

First venture into Quads - anxious.......

Thanks.

Submitted by Richard a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2012

Bottom Line:
I suppose it is bit presumptuous for me to review something I do not yet own. Let me explain.

I have Naim kit and my present speakers are PMC OB1i's. Nothing wrong with them, or not until I made the mistake of listening to a pair of 2905's. I had never noticed how coloured my speakers were, nor had I noticed the lack of sound staging or imaging. They were always adequate, not exceptional but similar to every other piston driven speaker I have owned or listened to. This includes some silly priced stuff at Hi Fi Shows.

But these Quads were a total revelation. Never have I experienced just how transparent and holographic my music could sound. The bass was somehow a little lighter, but definitely all there and very clean. Deep bass was firm and significant, just not booming or overwhelming as it can be when my PMCs are placed too close to a back wall or in a corner.

I play older music from the 1950s, 60s and 70s. Both pop, jazz and classical. I have a very wide range from Beethoven through Miles Davis to Pink Floyd. Whatever was played sounded just right. The images hang there as if the musicians are actually in the room. If you have never heard these speakers, this might sound fanciful, but it is not, I assure you. A wonderful experience.

These speakers are not perfect. Like everything else in life, there are drawbacks. Possibly significant drawbacks to some may be the limit in playback volume. From my experiences, it is more than sufficient. But I am not a head banging Metallica supporter. Also, the bass delivery whilst so fast and uncoloured to my ears, may sound inadequate to those that demand boom-boom sounds from their speakers. To my ears, these are not drawbacks. On the contrary it just reinforces the superlative sound that is available.

Now all I have to do is pay for them. But in anticipation, I have already made some significant changes to my listening room.

BTW, I have been told by Quad that they do not simply deliver and expect you to carry them in and unpack, etc. They actually unpack and position them wherever you wish. I am arranging for my dealer to then do the actual installation and setup.

To me that last bit is important. These are heavy beasts.

If you have never heard them, do yourself a favour and go and listen, listen very carefully and be prepared to be transported into musical paradise.

Richard

Submitted by Leoross a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2011

Bottom Line:
For thirty years I have listened to almost nothing but quad esl's and these are the best alround esl of the lot, although the 989 was as strong on imaging, it lacked the taughtness and punch of the 2905's. They are totally transparent abd consequently you just never get listening fatigue, I can't recommend them enough and they are astonishing value. I use Naim CDs, Thorens deck and i pod through Audio research sp 16 and Krell KSA 150. I venture to say that for solo acoustic instruments and the human voice there is no better speaker in any price range. However, there has been a drawback which has been intermittent buzz on the treble panels in one speaker. After 4 months an element needed replacing, under warranty and when returned it still intermittently crackles. I am told by quad that this is a 'common fault ' with this speaker and is to do probably with dampness or moisture in the element causing a shorting effect, hence the buzz. A warm room will cure this. If this is so then this is not a problem, only a minor temporary inconvenience which a quad lover will put up with because of the rewards. I am monitoring this situation and will keep you informed because this may well help other quad lover/sufferers! Keep chasing the butterfly.

Submitted by dpaws a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2011

Bottom Line:
It's hard to add to what's already been said. Superb speakers that really do fast tight bass! Some thoughts though... room size can be quite intimate, mines 4m x 5m x 3m ceilings, sounds wonderful - with only some heavy cushions in the back corners to kill standing waves. Amps? You need power - trust me. I've tried Graaf GM20 mono's, Levinson ML430, Vitus SS010 but nothing drives them quite like the NAD M2 - a stunning combination and a bargain too! Tweak your speaker cables for taste, I've gone back to Nordost after starting with copper which added just a hint of warmth. Music? Marillion / P.Floyd / Goldfrapp / Bowie / Bon Jovi / Trance / Jazz - anything you can "smoke" to ;) Spend monies on cables - I highly recommend a power regenerator just to nail the input voltage steady. Go treat yourselves or come for a listen! I paid around £4.5k new for mine - shop around and get on the phone!!

Product model year:   2009