Quad 22L Floorstanding Speakers

• Width 205mm
  • Depth 278mm

Submitted by Joseph a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2011

Bottom Line:
These speakers are attached to a system that consists of :
~Audioquest cv 4 speaker cables in double bi-wire configuration
~Conrad-Johnson MV-55 tube amp
~Conrad-Johnson PV-10a tube preamp
~Pro-Ject 6.1 turntable
~Benz-Micro Silver m/c cartridge
~Rotel 970-BX cd player
~Audioquest Coral interconnects
I bought these speakers used from someone on Audiogon. The previous owner stated that he only had them for a few weeks, and from the condition of them I believe him. I have a feeling that he sold them due to the fact that they didn't sound too good right out of the box, and he didn't realize that they would need to be broken in. When I received them they still sounded like they needed a lot of break in, so I refused to seriously listen to them until I had allowed a cd to play repeatedly for a few days.
Upon returning to my music room I was amazed at the difference in sound. What was originally constrained and closed, was now open and airy. These speakers exhibited all of the attributes that I was seeking, and for less than half the price of new. I have yet to hear a better soundstage from a speaker anywhere near this price, and would happile compare them to speakers costing over twice the retail price.
These speakers reproduce music accurately (a little light in the lower end), and with very litle if any coloration. In combinatin with my C-J tube gear they are sweet and seductive. People who visit my home and have no knowledge of high end audio are always amazed by what they are hearing, and they always notice the soundstage even though they don't know the words to describe it. People who share this hobby are always amazed at the fact that these retailed at about $1800.
I may not have a system that is the last word in music reproduction, but with the equipment I have it is very musically satisfying, and the Quad 22l loudspeakers were the perfect match for my components.

Submitted by Tamir0678 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2011

Bottom Line:
Hi everyone,
First off, to the guy who gave these a "1" rating - you are obviously a troll.
I recently moved to Australia, and one of the first things I needed to do is build a sound system.
I use it about 50-50 for BLU Ray movies ad 50% for Audio.
Since I couldn't move my 500 CD collection here, I brought them as digital copies (as lossless as possible).
I love music and have for the last 20 years. I listen to everything from Classical, through Rock, Pop and Electronic.
I bought a set of 22Ls, 12Ls, and a center for $1200 (used).
My budget wouldn't allow for separates, so I considered Onkyo, Rotel and Arcam (Yamaha is too bright for my ears, Dennon too warm, and Pioneer too punchy). I ended up having to choose between the Arcam AVR350 and the Onkyo TX-SR875. I went with the Onkyo because of the better video performance (and ample power when used in 5.1 with bi-amped fronts).
At first, I was VERY disappointed with the sound of these speakers. I was listening to TV and MP3's played from a laptop. It took me about a month too find all the right parts for the HTPC I wanted to build, and when it was finally tested with a proper source over HDMI, WOW!!!
The reason they sounded so bad is because of the source. These speakers are extremely revealing and transparent. They reveal every flaw in the source or transmission. But when the source is good they are AMAZING. Sound is accurate, dynamic and surprisingly powerful. They stay on pitch at very high volume, and these are modest size speakers. I rediscovered several recordings that I didn't know could sound so good. Granted, they are better with Classical and Jazz like most British designed speakers, but they can carry Pop and electronic very well. Vocals sound amazing - Norah Jones, Sade, Imogen Heap, Chris Martin and Leonard Cohen were practically in the room with me. Instruments also sound amazingly lifelike. My only disappointment was with electrical guitars - not their "forte" (but still not bad).
These babies go down to 20Hz, so I didn't opt for a sub-woofer. Don't need one either - Just saw The Dark Knight today, and boy the are good for movies. Gunshots, explosions and breaking glass are completely realistic, and Dialog is awesome as well - and all of this is just with the Onkyo. What if I had paired them with the Arcam, or separates?
Overall, I've never heard a better speaker for this price.

Summary

Pros:
Good power. Transparent. Dynamic. Good sound-stage for their size. Great bass. Great with vocals and natural instruments. Beautiful finish. Bi-ampable.

Cons:
Electric guitars could sound better. Finish is delicate. Impacted by positioning

Value for money:
Unbeatable.

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by chester4712 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2011

Bottom Line:
Wow, I just picked up these speakers from my local audiophile used speaker store. I have owned many types and brands of speakers including Klipsch, Infinity, B&w, Kef, Tyler Acoustic anyways you get the idea. The sound quality is absolutely stunning. If you are in the market for some new sounding speakers hands down for the price these will blow you away.

Submitted by bogart69 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2010

Bottom Line:
After YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!! of system switching and swapping I do think I have stumbled on to the perfect match (if thier is such a thing) The quad 22l loudspeaker is OUTSATNDING, When set up right and feed the right amplification it is capable of just about anything.I tried these speakers with SEVERAL amps both integrated and seperates, with medium power british amps they sounded so so (naim nait, Rega, Cyrus) The sound was quick and speedy but not the deepest (which I know these things are capable of doing). When I plugged in my trusty 1964 fisher tube receiver it was a whole new ball game..The soundstage was as close to 3-D as anything I have ever heard inluding some MUCH more expansive set-ups...The mid range was to die for and thier was REAL BASS..When I hit the loudnes boost it became fuller and downright AMAZING!!!..As it turned out the next day my Beloved Marantz 2325 was finished with its yearly check up...after a few minutes of set up, I flipped the switch and let her rip, at first I could not stop laughing it sounded sooooooo good I was almost delerious..It was the best of both worlds the botom end was ROCK solid and the mid range very enticing (not as lush as the fisher ) It was the perfect match...It made the competion look downright stupid.Being a MUSIC LOVER first and and audiophile second I LOVE the features on the Marantz and Fisher..These items were made when quality counted.It is a fact that to enjoy great 2 channel audio you DO NOT need to take out a second on youre home...Yeah Sure the new 400 pound all chrome $7000 amps look cool , but they have as much personality as a wet mop..and do not sound much better if at all. My advice if you can get these speakers DO IT NOW....They TRULY do give speakers 3 times as much a run for the money..pair them with some quality vintage stuff maybe a higher powered receiver from the seventies which already comes with a killer phono stage (marantz,fisher,luxman ,mcintosh) and you are in audio music bliss. add a couple quality sources cd player, turntable? (rega,cambridge, marantz, nad) and you are done. Final thought these speakers sound good with ALL types of music from Motorhead to Mingus..it ALWAYS makes me smile...

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by ccfunkster a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2009

Bottom Line:
Just received these speakers, they are the 22L2 version.
I previously owned Monitor Audio Silver RS8 towers.
RS8's are decent speakers but you I think you need room for them to perform correctly. Also I thought they were kind of bright and somewhat forward. I was fatigued after a few hours of listening to them.
The Quad 22L2 speaker is the best speaker I have encountered so far. I consider it a neutral sounding speaker. Not to forward and has a natural sound. Great stereo imaging and a wide sound stage. It has great bass and perfect treble. I have been listening with my stereo in Direct Mode without the sub woofer and it sound excellent.
I have about 5 hours on the speaker and I expect it to get even better as the speaker gets broken in.
Listened to Parliament Live and Earth Wind and Fire "Gratitude" CD, both live recordings which I know like the back of my hand and they now sound renewed. I hear small sounds I have never heard before.
I also replaced power cord on the CD player and AVR which could have a small effect on the sound.

Quad 22L vs. Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 vs. Evo 30

I'm building a 2nd system which will be for MY listening room. I have the Quad 22L's in my 1st system and was hoping to find a cheaper alternative since budget is always tight. I've considered the Wharfedale Diamond 9.6's and Evo 30's since they're owned my the same parent company. Has anyone had a ... Read More »

quad 22L

Hi Can any one inform me where can i see the editorial reviews of Quad 22L Speakers . i have checked ecoustic.com but of no use. devRead More »

Quad 22L's

I posted a while back after purchasing a pair of Quad 22L's and initially having my doubts about whether or not they were going to live up to their rave reviews.While I had my doubts after setting them up they have broken in and they are nothing short of incredible.They replaced a pair of B&W 703's ... Read More »

Quad 22L, Monitor Audio Silver RS8, Thiel Cs1.6 ??

Hello everyone, been listening to lots of great speakers and have come up with a few favorites in my price range ($2000US): the 22L, RS8, and CS1.6. These have been the best to my ear for soundstage and clarity. Unfortunately, they didn't seem to handle rock/metal recordings - especially at louder v ... Read More »

Amplifier for Quad 22L

kindly advice what amp suits the best for Quad 22L ......my room size is 300Sq feet. i am using Carver C1 preamp along with ADA Power amp and Marantz CD72 Signature series Cd player ....My cables are from KimberRead More »