PSB Speakers Stratus Mini Floorstanding Speakers

4.35/5 (31 Reviews) MSRP : $1049.00

Definitely meant for stand-mounting (we offer matching stands that can be filled with sand if you like for maximal non-resonance), it is probably the best rendition ever of a truly full-range speaker with an almost-disappearing cabinet. What its enclosure size provides is a combination of solidity for minimum resonance and a small surface to avoid unwanted diffraction effects. The latter is a major reason why critics keep citing its excellent soundstaging and imaging. The Mini is a two-way system with a 6-1/2-inch woofer and 3/4-inch aluminum-dome tweeter. The woofer's hefty (28-oz) magnet plays a great part in the bass definition. The ferrofluid-cooled tweeter has excellent dispersion and power-handling.

Submitted by Eduardo Hdez a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2010

Bottom Line:
Great speaker very natural sound, detail musicality in songs i never knew where there great speaker.

Submitted by Pat D a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2004

Bottom Line:
The rooms in our house are small enough to make it difficult to get the best out of dipolar or bipolar speakers. So when the power supply on one of my Quad ESL-63 speakers blew, I figured the best thing would be to look at forward radiating speakers. The Quads should have a lot of pace, and in that room, I was never able to get the best out of them, particularly on piano recordings. Since I have a big subwoofer and listen at moderate levels (usually well under 90 dBa), I decided that small monitor speakers would be sufficient and cost effective. The Stratus Minis have not disappointed me.

I made up a short list of speakers to audition, based on expectations, local availability, and reviews, but of course, I was open to listen to other speakers. We had to do some traveling due to a family emergency, but this did provide an opportunity to listen to a number of different speakers.

The list of contenders below in other similar products used does not include all those I auditioned by any means. It shows ones I did like a lot, and excludes a couple I tried at home which did not work so well there. They by no means had the same balance but all had a smooth neutral sound and a wide soundstage. Since I liked them all, I simply cut the more expensive ones from the list. This left the B & W 705 and the PSB Stratus Mini. The Stratus Mini seems somewhat more laid back (this is a good thing to my mind) and I judged them to be more forgiving of some poor recordings. They were also cheaper and available from a local dealer, making it any easy decision.

I found the Stratus Minis played all types of music very well, whether male and female vocals, chorus, piano, small ensemble or full orchestra. Male vocalists such as Roger Whittaker, the Clancy Brothers, and Mark Knopfler (Dire Straits) come across as natural and neutral. Diana Krall (Love Scenes) and Patricia Barber (Modern Cool) are very well reproduced. My brass recordings on the Nimbus, Vox, Telarc, Columbia and other labelssound great, very natural as do many others.

The Stratus Minis throw a wide and deep soundstage with big orchestral and choral works such as Beethoven’s 9th Symphony (Leibowitz on Chesky) and Berlioz’s Requiem (Shaw on Telarc) , not emphasizing one part of the frequency range more than another. Choral reproduction is superb, and my Mozart’s Requiems with Colin Davis and Peter Schreier sound about as good as I have ever heard them.

Piano reproduction is very good, whether with superb modern recordings such as Earl Wild’s Chopin Ballades and Scherzos or older recordings with Horowitz and Rubinstein.
Transient response is superb on guitar. Sharon Isbin’s renditions Bach Lute Suites and Michael Hedges dynamic Aerial Boundaries are quick and clean with no overhang. To show the quick and clean transients from the midbass to the high frequency, I have found nothing better than David Chesky’s Club de Sol with all sorts of drums, cymbals and things making tinkly sounds. The Stratus Minis handle the difficult transients in medieval or renaissance instrumentals on my Nimbus, Naxos and Vox recordings using metal stringed harps, anvils, bells, and so on, in a very natural fashion.

Some recordings which sounded problematic over the Quad ESL-63s such as famous recording of Brahms Hungarian Dances on Naxos, sound fine with the Stratus Minis. An old favorite, Bach’s Magnificat in D with Felix Prohaska on Vanguard, sounded rather harsh with the Quads but is quite acceptable with the PSB’s, which are smoother in the upper mids and treble. Indeed, I am finding that most recordings sound better in our room with the Stratus Minis than they did with the Quads. It really is a first class speaker. No speaker, of course, sounds best on every recording, but with accurate ones, a little adjustment of the balance with tone controls can help many recordings sound fine.

The Stratus Minis are more accurate than the Quad ESL-63's. Indeed, most recordings sound even better with them than they ever did with the Quads. Some few do not, but that is to be expected with a change in speakers. They play beautifully and do not add any obvious coloration to the sound.

The Stratus Minis provide a wide and deep soundstage with many recordings and seldom call attention to themselves. They are a very neutral speaker with a wide and even horizontal dispersion and with vertical dispersion as good as most. They need to be placed about 25 inches off the floor. They can actually bolted to the PSB M2-Si stands which I bought, which is very convenient for moving the speakers around.

I found the best location was about a foot and a half from the back wall, which gives the smoothest reproduction of male voices and the smoothest transition to the subwoofer.

Purchased At:   Cox Communications (

Submitted by Heue Jung Park a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2004

Bottom Line:
For 1month, I have listened with this Stratus mini monitor speaker with great satisfaction due to highly cost effectiveness to its musical potency. I had heard with Dynaudio Contour 1.1,Audience42, Audience52, KEF Q1, Boston CR7, Jordan M2, etc. for the porpose of musical interest. Later,I met this monitor speaker incidently. It has well balanced tunning, proper voluminous hardness like Dynaudio, neutral & natural sound, extensive sound-staging & depth, colorlessness and musical comfort. I am waiting impatiently for the day being aged muture sound of my mini.

Purchased At:   Online Audio Communi

Submitted by Scott Carr a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2004

Bottom Line:
I have listened to these speakers for over 1 year now after upgrading from the PSB Image 2B's. Both of these speakers are bookshelf models which I prefer over floorstanders. The differences are quite noticeable though and let me outline what I mean. The 2B's are rated at 89db@1watt/metre, nominal 6 ohm, and handle 140 peak watts. While the Mini's are rated at 86db@1watt/metre, nominal 4 ohm, can handle 300 watt peaks, and are biwireable. In the process of upgrading the speakers I also added another amplifier to bi-amplify the Stratus Mini's. The added power and current really makes these speakers shine. I must admit after hearing the 2B's with there brighter tweeter and weaker bass response, relatively speaking, the Mini's sounded relatively flat at first. My ears were not used to hearing nearly flat response acrsoss the frequency range with little colouration. The Mini's are truly a speaker that takes some time to adjust to but once you do you'll be overjoyed that you decided to keep them. These speakers continue to amaze me with the music they reproduce. I listen to all kinds of music from jazz, classical, pop, rock, blues, and techno. Sometimes if I have an excellent recording I feel as though the musicians are right in the room with me. If you do decide to purchase a pair of Mini's I highly recommend bi-amplifing them as they do require more power and current because of the relatively low sensitivity and impedance. If you enjoy listening to music for extended periods and like to hear an accurate reproduction of the original recording then this is the mini monitor for you. After reading a few professional speaker reviews of this speaker I now know what they mean when they say that this is a true mini monitor which gives you a reproduction of the original recording and allows you to listen for hours without fatigue. In closing I would just say that I am very glad that I decided to upgrade. Keep in mind that the PSB Stratus Mini's will require most people a lenght of time to adjust to such a high quality reproduction. Give yourself and the speakers time to break-in and get to know one another. If you have any more questions about these speakers or my review you can contact me by email.

Purchased At:   Stereoland

Submitted by pablox a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2004

Bottom Line:
Audio enthusiats should do them selves a favor and listen to thses speakers before purchasing. Everythg about them is good except the almost complete LACK of bass response. I listen to an eclectic mix of oldies, seventies, eighties and ninties (no rap it all sucks) music. A lot of it is soul music with heavy bass. These speakers have absoulutly almost zero bass response. They cannot be used by themselves for any 2 channel music listening or home theater with bass.

Purchased At:   ebay from original o