PSB Speakers Image T65 Floorstanding Speakers

• Posts Bi-wireable/Bi-ampable Feet/stabilizers
  • Adjustable Spikes and Rubber Levelers

Submitted by YASHIC ROHITH a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2012

Bottom Line:
The T65 has come of age and has been superseded by the T6......or has it.????
Both speaker are radically different in design, with the T6 simply cleaning up all the flaws of the T65....but has it built on the strengths of theT65. There are many areas that the mighty T6 doesn't come close.The depth of imaging, the sheer speed of execution of the signal,the bass slam and the ability to pinpoint the assault of drums that attack you with lightening speed from an otherwise laid-back gentle speaker.The imaging allows a budding audiophile to experience a gateway into high-end audio.Both speakers are mind blowing in terms of transparency,and disappear as point sources,but the T65 has so much more character it effect my mind in such a way that a pure stereo system doesn't.What I found is that the T65 simply gets better with age and runs in nicely ,but you need a really fast amplifier with this speaker.Personally I prefer YAMAHA with this speaker.This is an UNDERSTATED and great BRILLIANT design from MASTER PAUL BARTON.If I ever would have to choose a speaker other than PSB ,it would be LINN, but sadly this would cost the EARTH....

Submitted by Espen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2006

Bottom Line:

I first heard these speakers about 6 years ago at Akers Mic in Oslo, Norway. I really liked the sound of them, particularly as front speakers in a home cinema.

Then I owned a pair of Legacy Focus (www.legacy-audio.com/2004/focus2020.html) - which was as incredible as they were large. I sold my Legacy earlier this year - and I looked up the PSBs at internett.

I think the PSBs are superb speakers. They do a h*** of a job in a home cinema (- subwoofer not required !) - and they do a very decent jobb playing music.

Looking for speakers in this price range ? Check out PSB T65; they might as well end up in your home, too !

Purchased At:   Brataas: www.hifiuts

Submitted by neoagnusdei a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2006

Bottom Line:
Well, There are so many audipphile grade speakers in the market that people have an ordeal to find and buy what they want. Of course, a basic economics dictates one's choice in many areas of shopping.
I purchased used, but excellent Onkyo M-504 power amplifier on Ebay and I wanted to upgrade my speakers. My budget was around $2200. I did some internet search and read lots of reviews. A guy at local audio shop extolled Dali speakers and I was going to get Ikon 7, which is an European brand. I was skeptical about bass output. Then I was going to get PSB Stratus Goldi at $1999 which was on sale. Based on Goldi's spec, It would produce lots of bass, and my concern was bass boominess. I did not actually listen to Goldi, but the Stereophile's review was quite convincing. Goldi are bigger and much heavier speakers than Image 65T. Now, I was going to buy a new NAD cd player at Pacific Sales and I glanced at PSB image lines. They also displayed formidable Platinum lines which were way out of my budget. I saw PSB Image 65T, which was slim yet tall and deep. Had three high-tech looking 3 woofers and a conventional tweeter. I was also skeptical about 6.5 inches woofers. Anyway, Pacific Sales had good return policy and I decided to purchase them. The salesman gave me a great deal. The two speakers unpackaged boxes were big, but manageable and they fit into the backseats of my Camry.
I came home and I was not in hurry to set up the system because I had lots of other things to do. Following day, I hooked up the speakers to my Onkyo M0504 using audioquest cables. Some of you already know that Onkyo's binding posts are just terrible; no banana plug, no spade compatible.
Anyway, I began to play the music. I wanted to test bass quality first. I played Enya's 'Long Ship'. Boy, I was surprised to hear clear, tight, and deep bass from the mid size towers. Enya's clear voice was fantastic and the music sounded very spacious and clear. To be honest with you, I do not know what exactly is transparent sound. Many audiophiles use the term 'tranparent' to describe the sound of speaker system. All I can say about 65T is that they sounded very clear without congestion. Piano, classical guitar sounded lively and clean with good dynamics. Maybe in few weeks, after break-in period, I hope the speakers sound better. Maybe get more neural and produce slighlty warm tones.
Overall, I am pleased with 65T and I do not regret greatly that I did ot get Goldi.
If I have a bigger house with sound proof room, I would get Goldi, but 65T is certainly capable of playing all kinds of music at high volume.

Purchased At:   Pacific Sales

Submitted by hifibob a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2005

Bottom Line:
I have owned many speakers over the years. Started out with Klipsch, then Polk, then B&W, then Martin Logan, then Dynaudio, the ProAc. Each have their strengths. Klipsch - great bass, but honky horn. Polk - more refined than the Klipsch, but still mid fi. B&W - awesome mid range, great soundstaging, but power hungry and very picky with partnering equipement. Martin Logan - see through transparency, but laser beam sweet spot. Dynaudio - refined, but pay big $$$ for brand name. ProAc - great mids, highs, but big $$$.

What brought me to PSB was a impromptu visit to a hifi store. My wife and I went to the big city so she could visit a furniture store she has been wanting to visit for some time. I noticed a locally owned hifi store across the street and walked into it to kill time. Went in looking for a DVD player for my second rig I am setting up so I can watch my kids' (and mine) favorite animated DVDs - like Bugs Life, Shrek, etc. with them and more grown up movies with my wife. Since I've had kids, I've found myself watchimg more movies than listening to music.

I heard the PSBs playing in the background and was surprised to hear how good they sounded hooked up to inexpensive electronics (NAD stuff). Never thought about PSB as an audiophile brand, except for their Stratus line, which I always found balanced way too forward in the bass for my taste.

Well, I got distracted from my DVD player search listening to the PSBs. The owner of the store came over, we got chatting, I listened some more, and decided to take them home for a more serious listen.

I'm sure audiophiles transitioning to home theatre have had the same experience I'v had. You put your audiophile speakers next to your hidef tv and almost crap your pants from the distortion the speaker magnets cause. Well, the PSBs are magnetically shielded and the owner said I could put the T65s as close to the hidef tv as I wanted. He was right.

I have not picked out a home theatre receiver yet (thinking going NAD), so I hooked up the T65s using my Proceed Amp 2 (made by Mark Levinson) and my VTL 5.5 preamp. Hooked up my Luminous Audio garden hose cables and put in some music. Flat out amazing.

I am use to monitor speakers, so the deep, taught, powerful bass the T65s produce just tickles my fancy. Helps out with movie explosions too. Which is fine by me because I hate subs and all their set up problems.

Next, I noticed how transparent and clean these speakers are. Up there with the big boys - no joke.

Then, I noticed how sweet and delicate the treble is. Notes fade away clearly and NO metal dome tizz.

Soundstaging in the lateral plane is equal to the big boys, and pretty darn good in depth too.

Better yet, the speakers are easily placeable for best sound and my wife likes the real maple veneer.

These speakers are fantastic and about as good a bargain at their price in all of high end. They do well on music and movies. They are not embarrased in my big rig and do fantastically well in it. Of the speakers I have owned above, the B&W Matrix 805s were my favorite. The T65s soundstaging is as good as my old B&W 805 Matrix, as is the T65s tweeter. Not quite the midrange presence, but the T65s transparency makes up for this, even better that the 805s. Try putting a B&W up next to your tv and see what happens.

Oh, I forgot to mention that being an audiophile, I campared the T65s in my hous with NHT ST-4s, Monitor Audio Silver Series, Infinity Betas, and the KEF line with the supertweeters (get real). T65s blew the all away.

Purchased At:   Local Dealer