PSB Speakers Image 1B/B15 Floorstanding Speakers

4.57/5 (21 Reviews) MSRP : $269.00

Just over a foot high, this ultra-compact monitor combines a 5-1/4-inch woofer and the Image 1-inch aluminum-dome tweeter. It is an ideally convenient surround speaker, and as a main speaker or in a secondary system, it delivers amazingly rich, detailed sound for its size and price.

Submitted by Mike E. Jennings a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2010

Bottom Line:
Great Sound for the size and the price, they just cant get better. Great for small/medium rooms, hooked them up with a vintage marantz stereo amplifier and they worked great together. I would just add a little more bass in the lows, but i dont think i can ask more for a 5-1/4 inch speakers. Very detailed sound, just a great buy for a tight budget!

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by craneyaudio a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2010

Bottom Line:
The greatest pair of speakers I ever had.

Submitted by perplexo a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2005

Bottom Line:
I keep a separate Class A two channel system for music, (mostly vinyl). The AV system I'm slowly building is, at best, mid-fi, because I'm not as concerned that TV propaganda/DVD digital reproduction be absolutely pristine. That being said, I left on close to an objective mission to audition an array of speakers in the $300.00 range for main channels--not quite objective as I felt I would probably not be satisfied with any of them. I should preface also by saying I did not audition with DVD's feeling that well recorded music would trump a DVD; instead, I brought along two of my favorite recordings: Dead Can Dance's "Into the Labrynth" tracks 4&5, and Charles Mingus' "The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady" track 1. to I listened to Athena ASB-2 and Epos ELS-3 through a Parasound system; the Acoustic Energy EOS1, NHT SB1, Monitor Audio, PSB Image 2B, and their B15 model through an NAD sytem. Monitor Audio was out immediately--just plain muddy. NHT's were pretty neutral, more accurate but boxy. The Athena, now available at Best Buy, (which also tainted my objectivity somewhat), were full sounding, but too bright. Separation was also off, especially in midrange/high frequency details. The Epos I liked. Considerably more accurate and neutral. Lacked some of the bass response, but for such small woofers, what can one expect? At least the bass was accurate and tight. I liked the Acoustic Energy slightly more because I sensed they were even more neutral and their imaging was great. I listened to the PSB Image 2B right out of the box, so there was no break-in period. They just seemed a little muddy and bright. (These were on a special close-out deal. Normally, they retailed for $399.00 USD). I was expecting the same out of the B15's, of course, though it is apparently the updated model of the Image 1B, a step below the 2B. I was quite wrong. This is a very exciting speaker. My taste is for neutrality, accuracy and imaging. Wow. Listening to Mingus' bass creep out on the first track was amazing; so out front and dead accurate--but not dominant--compared with all of the other speakers. Smooth highs, no "tinny-ness" or roll off. Midrange sweet with great clarity. From many speakers, one can sense that one or more frequency ranges tends to jump out at the listener while dissolving others. With the B15's, there was an odd sense that all of the music was jumping out without any of the details being lost. And all of this from the B15 which replaces the Image 1B--not the 2B! I would highly recommend giving this speaker a listen, but as we are all subjective, I would also suggest hearing the Epos and Acoustic Energy lines if you're in the market. Great prices at DMC Electronics, by the way.

Purchased At:   DMC Electronics

Submitted by Sharon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought these speakers as surrounds for my HT set-up and wow! For the price these little guys are mighty. Before my HT room was ready, I set them up in a secondary room I use for stereo audio only. These guys blew. Even my old albums sounded cool again. I hated to move them when the room was ready.

Purchased At:   Sound Images by High

Submitted by Ant a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2002

Bottom Line:
The beauty of this little speaker is that for the price, I think one would be very hard pressed indeed to find a better sounding suround speaker.

I bought them as surround speakers to accompany the recent addition of a DVD and they sound utterly superb. Everything comes through on them.

At present my room is somewhat cramped so I had to move out some of my speakers. As a result the PSB's are being used as mains. Granted I have mounted them on big manly stands - so that does improve the bass somewhat, but still the music I play through them sounds fantastic. If anyone says to you that they lack bass - don't listen. Besides, one is hardly going to make the floor shake with a set of surrouds, that sort of thing just isn't done.

I paid NZ$700 (about $300US) which I thought was a little extravagant. Them I heard them. Absolutely no regrets. If this is your price budget, don't waste any time trying anything else.