PSB Speakers Century 800i Floorstanding Speakers

4.62/5 (29 Reviews) MSRP : $799.00

2 way bass reflex w/ two 8in woofers, 1 in tweeter

Submitted by Old Rusty a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2008

Bottom Line:
Sweet, sweet candy...Pick 'em up cheap, bi-wire & sit back & groove! Serious bottom-end, sweet midrange and singing tweets. You cannot go wrong with these babies.

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Submitted by Gary Ricard a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2006

Bottom Line:
I love these speakers. To my ears, they are clear, solid and fun to listen to for many hours. I have them working with a HSU subwoofer, and together, they can really rock the house on DVDs or CDs. I liked their sound so much that I purchased a PSB 8C to go with them in HT. Oh sure, I could get a taller speaker, a wider speaker, a more expensive speaker, but why? Other than my ego, there is no reason to replace these wonderful sounding PSB speakers.

Purchased At:   Paul and Tony's Ster

Submitted by Audio Dan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2003

Bottom Line:
Short and Sweet: I've bought 3 pairs of speakers since the psb 800i (B&W's just last month for 1,500) and have returned every pair. Nothing comes close to the 800i for pure, simple music listening at any volume level. I have dropped them, my dog has pushed in the woofer cones with his nose, and I've used various low-mid grade amps. I recently hooked up a SimAudio Moon I-5 integrated amp to it and...well...they are even better. Unreal. I was shopping for $2,000 speakers to "match" my new amp. I'm not shopping anymore. If you want better sound from them, get a better amp. And enjoy the fact that you have sound that rivals speakers 2 and possibly 3 times the price. These are good, solid, precise sounding speakers. Any music sounds good, especially female vocals and loungey, percussion-based tracks. These babies rock. Thanks Canada!

Purchased At:   Madison, WI

Submitted by Dennis a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up to my previous review. I have since upgraded to a Harman-Kardon Signature 2.0 DD/DTS processor/tuner/preamp and its matching Signature 2.1 amp (100w x 5). These units used to sell for about $3500 and I got them as a demo for $860 shipped. (You can get them for $999 at www.harmanaudio.com) I am surprised at the sound difference over my Denon DD-ready AVR-2600 with Technics SH-AC500D DD/DTS processor. There is more detail (can hear the echos of the guitar chamber, breathing, vibration of the strings, etc.), soundstage (width and depth), imaging is locked in more, realism to the acoustic instruments, ambience, etc. I was interested how it would make these speakers sound with electronics costing much more and they were up to the task. This says alot for these speakers as you wold almost never put electronics that cost 4x or more (MSRP) than the speakers. Very satisfied and enjoying listening to my CD's all over again!

Submitted by jim a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2001

Bottom Line:
THE PSB 800i's ARE A ECELLENT SOUNDING SPEAKER WITH NICE CRISP HIGHS AND POWERFULL BASS , THEY ARE WORTH EVERY PENNY . THEY ARE DISCONTINUED , AS PSB CAME OUT WITH A NEW LINE , THE IMAGE SERIES , YOU STILL MIGHT BE ABLE TO FIND SOME 800i's AT A PSB DEALER IF YOU CAN YOU WILL MORE THAN HAPPY WITH YOUR PURCHASE .

MY SYSTEM ICLUDES THE FOLLOWING

MARANTZ AV-9000 PRE/PRO THX ULTRA
MARANTZ MM 9000 5CH/AMP THX ULTRA
MARANTZ DVD 18 PLAYER THX ULTRA
MARANTZ CC65 S.E.
PSB 800i's fronts L/R
PSB 500i's rears L/R
PSB 200i's center C
CERWIN VEGA SUB /with NAD 214 BRIDGED MONO AMP .

Purchased At:   whitby audio