ProAc Tablette 50 Floorstanding Speakers

4.81/5 (16 Reviews) MSRP : $975.00

Bookshelf

Submitted by Kandiru a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2012

Bottom Line:
Tab 50 powerered by Zamp v.3 fed by Dacmagic Plus USB2 DAC via M1000i XLR using Foobar ASIO drivers.

Phenomenal soundstaging a notch above my Canto Karat M30 DC 3-ways, but a bit shy on the bass.

For an office setup can't be beat staying with me for a long time.

Submitted by 46535 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2002

Bottom Line:
First of all, I must say that I miss my ProAc Super EBT (extended bass tablette) in this rewiews. I'm using 5 of them in my 7.1 home-theatre-system as surround- and center-speakers, together with the ProAc SuperTower as mainspeakers. The tablette is said to have a too weak bass, these don't!! The next pair I can get is of course for my best friend, who wants to buy mine weekly.

Purchased At:   a friend/ ebay

Submitted by paintitblack udevil a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
Many speakers throughout the years and this is the one that makes me listen and try many different components.

It's very honest, sounds like what you feed it. Very dynamic for a small fry, awesome soundstage and very well made. Must use 24 inch stands, Target or Atlantis 4 pillar filled with you know sand and or lead shot. I have 25 lbs shot in each the rest is sand, any more than that will require a hand truck to move the babies around.

Bass - lack of low bass notes for sure but still has bass punch and clean mid bass to keep up.

Mids - are open, may a bit tight at times but excellent, true, the One Sc's are more liquid.

Upper mids - forwardness rules out any component that has this, cd player, cables, amps etc. get this are right in terms of components and this presence make low to medium level listening a pleasure.

Treble - not exactly as full bodied as I heard, a pair of Vandy 1 C's had the best realistic production of a cymbal I think, but the ProAc tweeter is finely textured and natural sounding. Very good, love the ProAc highs!

Finally VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!!! Seating position and speaker placement!!!!!!!!

Sit on a low sofa or chair, ears must be between woofer and tweeter or as ProAc recs. 1/3 down from top of cabinet! Many demos including ones in NYC at ProAc dealers fail to recognize this, seating you too high above the tops of the cabinets! Making these sound bright, incoherent and plain terrible. Sit right or forget even listening to them.

Also mine are 10ft + away from rear wall, sound better the further out into the room.

Used with Sonic Frontiers Line One, Anthem Amp One, Creek 4330R, ASL MGSI15DT, Musical Design D75, AudioQuest Clear 2, Musical Design Aura cables, Goertz MI, Sony CDPX707ES, Systemdek XII turntable and Audio Technica 440, Grado Platinum cartridges, Motif phono and Tice conditioner.

Purchased At:   a friend

Submitted by william Bowers a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2001

Bottom Line:
Well, after 20 years and over 20 pairs of Audiophile speakers, and 3 Stereo Shows, I am once again awed at the sound of these little guys. To say that they are amazing is a real understatement. Besides disappearing, the tonal quality of the instruments and the palpable relaity of voices make them an unusual if not scary speaker. I have listende to hundreds of speakers, and these almost invisible
little guys do a shocking job of making the music sound real! I have a pair of Quciksilvers KT-88 tubers, and an Audio Innovations tube preamp with an Audio Alchemy D/A. I am embarresed to say that my CD player is a $100 technic 60+1 changer!! Even more reason to be amazed.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by Lasse Ukkonen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2000

Bottom Line:
These speakers are magnificent!

(Well, mine are actually III's instead of 50's, but there
has been only minimal changes)

I've found that common problem with small monitors is that
they sound suberb with some recordings and crappy with
many others. ProAc Tablettes can handle anything: Classic,
trash metal, industrial, electonic, you name it... Do you want to feel nuances of Björk's unique voice and brutality of Sepultura with same speakers? Silky sound followed with
kick in the head? Tablettes will deliver that. I've also compaired Tablettes with ProAc's similar size, but far more expensive SC1's and I have to admit, classic and such sound better with them, but they don't ROCK! So, even if I could get both with same price, I would still choose Tablettes.

I listen also lot of electronic music, trance and such, and
I've been very pleased with Tablettes bass. Accurate and
good punch (for it's size). Exellent imaging, very present sound.

Design is also no frills state of the art. Very beautiful little speakers. Actually most beautiful little boxes that I've ever seen! This really helps you with placing when you don't have too much space.

It's a shame that ProAc changed Tablettes sound so radically in the new 2000-model. Well, it does have more
commercial bass, but it can be real problem with some smaller rooms.