ProAc Tablette 2000 Floorstanding Speakers

4.42/5 (19 Reviews) MSRP : $1100.00

Mini Monitor speaker

Submitted by zuper a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2004

Bottom Line:
By far one of the top buys for the money. Unparallel good soundstage. Unparallel mids, high resolution, detail, tweeter quality (30KHz), clarity and most of all bass that you may think it comes from a large floorstanding speaker. For me it is the best speaker of price category and it is also among the best of the category 1000-2000$

Purchased At:   local store

Submitted by Metheny a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2004

Bottom Line:
These speakers are wonderful for the monney, i concluded during the last 6 months i have been using this speaker.
I was shopping around to get a speaker, that can sound good, so i can build up my system around its abilities. I could not buy everything, i am a student you know with limited budget. After listening to a lot of speakers, inc. Jmlab chorus 716 S, Kef q5, Phonar p30, etc., i found that at this price all the floorstanding speakers are weird sounding in a way, that all have their bass seperated from the upper frequencies, and that irritated me, and still. The proac has wonderful abilities in this respect.
Some things apply to the speaker:
1. You will need high mass stands. I use a pair, weighting 16 kilos a piece fullfilled. I put some special rubberlike glue among the stand and the speaker, and spikes under the stands. This gives solid and controlled bass, other it may seems overpronounced.
2. The right equipment match is necessary. An amp with adequate power is needed to avoid slow bass.

The speaker seems a bit short of upper treble, which can be cured with the right speaker cable. I found Harmonich technology fantasy a good choice.

My amp is a copland csa-8.
CD: Audiomecca obsession,
IC : HT Prosilway mk3.

This setup is a well balanced wonderful sounding combination, which i highly recommend.

Purchased At:   PPAudio

Submitted by Jon Kyo a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2002

Bottom Line:
I found these speakers to be quite sensitive. It was not until I bridged
a Rogue Eighty-eight integrated with a B&K 140
watt power amp, that I achieved the
sound that I had initially been anticipating form these speakers. Prior to the B&K, much was lacking with symphonic music, and other material needing push, leading me to believe that significant wattage may be best for these speakers. Overall, listening to the 2000s with only the Rogue eighty-eight integrated, at 60 wpc, is sufficient, but not enough to let these speakers shine. With the B&K, at 140 wpc, these speakers do have pound or pumping quality at bass level (w/ techno hiphop jazz), as well as
transparency with symphonic. Vocals are amazing as well. With Haydn and Ella they are brillant, but I often find myself hooking up a pair of Thiel 1.6 for bopping jazz and bluegrass.

Purchased At:   Stereo Exchange

Submitted by Audio Filer a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2002

Bottom Line:
Well, if you're interested in the speaker, first of all, there aren't a lot of reviews of it on the web. So don't kill yourself searching. Only What Hi-Fi's "five star" rating/review (which is easy to locate, do a Google search) can be found (although What Hi-Fi throws quite a few "five stars" around) and there is also a nice review here: http://thestar.com.my/audio/story.asp?file=/1999/11/04proac And, frankly, that's about it. Except for the reviews here. I sure wish there was more to learn about them. Even Proac's website is a study is a Sphinx-like personality.

Most the talk on the web is about the "signature" model which is $600 more and uses fancier woods and different drivers - which rules out using those reviews as a reference. (There's also a great deal of talk about the Tablette 50s, but the Proac Tablette 2000 replaced that model, so again you can't go by those reviews. For the reviewer who trashed the speaker below, well it's based on his preferences. He also mentioned the speaker not sharing the sound of some earlier models. What he doesn't note was that Sam Tellig of Stereophile also called an early tablette one of the worst, badly balanced speakers he'd ever heard. So I wouldn't worry about pining after a long lost sound. Stick to the present.

Anyway, here is my summary of the speakers after having them in my home for a month.

These are very laid back speakers, which I enjoy. I bought these to replace a pair of B&W 602 S2 loudspeakers which I didn't because they were too bright. The B&Ws did do one thing far better than the Tablette - they had tremedous dynamics,which the Tablette can't match. I must say I miss that aspect of the B&Ws. But I don't miss their brightness. Once reason I don't like bright speakers is because I like to listen for long periods of time and my ears get fatigued, exit the B&Ws. My system includes an Adcom GFA 535 amp, a Harmon Kardon Citation solid state preamp (medium priced), and a Marantz 6000 OSE CD player, which is considered "full bodied" meaning it gives a rather lush presentation. So I'm not running a zillion dollar system, if you don't have one either. My equipment give the Proacs a very nice, smooth non-fatiguing sound. As one reviewer below said, they are not the incredibly detailed sounding speaker that higher end Proacs are - but frankly I wasn't looking for that. Yes, I am an audiophile, but I am also realistic about what I listen to. Frankly another reason I wanted to get rid of the B&Ws was because the discs I burned from MP3s sounded harsh and terrible. Perhaps they were too revealling. If you're only going to listen to audiophile recordings of chicks with violins, great, go for those ruthlessly revealing speakers. I wanted a good "all-rounder" that I could listen to lousy recordings as well as a good recording and enjoy both. The mellow presentation of the Proacs lets me do that. I can enjoy MP3s on these speakers as well as discs like Patricia Barber's Modern Cool (I was always bothered by sibilance on that disc, but the lovely forgiving quality of the Tablette's tweeter smoothed that right out.) Part of the Tablettes smooth character is also due to their generous bass, which is really very suprising considering their size. To sum it up. I think these are very good speakers, mellow in character. I'm happy to recommend them to listeners who enjoy a speaker that is easy to listen to. (Middle aged audiophiles, that means you!) Cheers!

Purchased At:   Used Audio Dealer