ProAc Studio 150 Floorstanding Speakers

4.76/5 (17 Reviews)

floorstanders

Submitted by els678 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2010

Bottom Line:
The sound these speakers produce from what is a relatively thin slim cabinet size is exceptional.
h 990 x w 190 x d 240 I was very suprised by the detail these speakers can produce. Not a hint of boomyness. A wide sharp soundstage.
A very clear neutral sound overall. with dare I say it sweet treble.

These babies can rock though well beyond you would think considering the drivers are ony 4 1/2 inches.
My rel sub comes in for the very low end, but you really do not need a sub for music only cinema when you would have a sub anyway.

U2 live at slane castle is a big sound and these can handle it superbly even at very high volumes.

Patnering equipment. I ve used them with meridian, Arcam, Denon, & Pioneer. I known they sound great with Primare. So I would say better the equipment the better they will perform.

I think they could beniefit from placing on stone plinths for wooden floors etc. Only because being a small floor stander it will add to stability. Not too near the wall either.
but i have found them less fussy than most over placement

If you come across these in good condition they are well worth the money. You would have to pay thousands to beter these, and due to their neat size are pretty wife freindly too.

Ive been looking for some good rear speakers and i think another pair of these would do fine for spectacular 5 channel stereo & cinema too.

If you find some buy them

Submitted by paulmallows a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2009

Bottom Line:
these are a verry special speaker that deserves to be matched with verry warm amps.mine is sugden a21a and cd 21.matched with oddysey cable.no need for bi wire they are fine in single phase,i use nordost red dawn as interconnects...not usual chiose but adds the final touch to the treble end.these are not head banging speakers but are specialised for true class instrumental music such as celtic and nick drake.i have listenned to 30000 pound syxstems and this 50000 system beats them all...believe me there are a sugden marriage and the best you will here.mine speakers cost me 600,second hand of course,if you want true immaging then these are the best.well next to pmc fb1 but thses sre 7000 pounds ,,hope you get my advice

Submitted by Hans Damen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2008

Bottom Line:
I bought the ProAc Studio 150 about 2 months ago. At first i used a Rotel pre and main amp. This sounded a bit dull. Not very lifely. Having the feeling that these were very special loadspeakers switched amp's to Myryad MP100 and MA240. The result was amazing! This combination is magic. I have never experienced something like this before. Playing Roger Waters (amused to death) a practically fel of my chair. Such a wide and deep stereo picture! These speakers are very fast and can create a very lively sound. Eventhough they are rather small the low frequencies come out strongly. I have a rather big listeningroom (5 x 11 m) but no problem for the Proac's.

Purchased At:   privat

Submitted by cody_the_cat a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2005

Bottom Line:
Fantastically musical speakers. I presently own two other pairs of speakers in the $3000 - $6000 range and the ProAc Studio 150 does not give up any ground. Tonally these speakers seem neutral across the frequency range for which they are rated; highs are nicely extended but not siblant and the bass has weight and authority to about 40Hz with a very liguid mid-range. Below 40Hz my sub takes over to produce a seemless highend package. I have head others say that these are bright. Perhaps so with cheap or the wrong solid state front end. However, mated with my B&K AVR307 they give nothing less than a truely musical experience full of emotion and soul that the artist conveys. Listen to Diana Krall, Girl in the Other Room, and brace yourself for heart touching experience. For the money, I would say that I would have difficultly choosing between the ProAc Studio 150s and my Tyler Acoustic Reference Monitors ($2500) and perhaps they are 85% of the way to the music produced from my PBN Montana SP IIIs ($4500). One more thing, I bought these off Audiogon used for $700.00 unheard and was feeling some trepidation. I was not in the least bit dissappointed - a great bargin for a great sounding speakers-Highly recommended.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by dinhty a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2005

Bottom Line:
the 150's very great; i'd look for many loudspeaker before get them but i feel that's enough for me. 150 looks great like them sound. i use vacuum tube amplifier only hat 40watts/chanel but outputs'r powerful & dynamics, very sensitive

Purchased At:   deal local