ProAc Response D80 Floorstanding Speakers

• Sensitivity: 91db
  • Tweeter: 1" soft dome

Submitted by lyh a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2007

Bottom Line:
I don't have these but I just listened to these at a audio shop. Very very amazing speaker. Listen and you will understand. Very mellow and tender yet very detailed. Very beautiful and handsome. I just felt in love its look and sound. Great for any Jazz or classical music. Vocal's geat too.

Submitted by wagnerian a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2007

Bottom Line:
Simply, The most hypnotizing speakers I have ever faced.

I am not an audiophile but I was looking for the best gears to listen to my lp & cd collection. Particulary, classical like Wagner, strauss... I spend 1/3 of my listening time for opera alone. So I wasn't interested in Monitor speakers that would give ear fatigue in an hour. - Remember that listening to whole Ring session of Wagner takes more than 13 to 15 hours to finish depending on which conductor's you choose.

I loved my Tannoy prestige but I was totally sold to these beauty around one and half years ago at one of my co workers home. I stopped searching the speakers to substitute my beloved Tannoy.

These big speakers have such golden hue you can not resist. And can listen all day long when listening to Wagner's.

If you are looking for really natural and ear fatigue free one, these would be my highest recommendaion along with Vienna Acoustic Mahler. - I am not the person who thinks B&W nautilus lines are the best. Actually, I DID hate those ear bleeding diamond tweeters. But, Vienna acoustic was really great along with these. I couldn't compare with it A/B comparison as there was no dealer in my area handling proac. But, check it out.

Truly 5 star speakers.

Purchased At:   dealer

Submitted by Giles A. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2007

Bottom Line:
This one was the ideal speaker I was always looking for. Completely made me into music itself. The most musical speaker I have ever experienced. of course, great dynamics,too. superbly engineered.

I always wanted to find the speakers which will produce any Wagner or Mahler properly. This one is. Of course, these will perform well no matter what you play. But, I felt the best for large scale classical like Ring series or Mahler's No.2 or 3.

If you are considering the most musical speaker, this would be my highest recommendation though I haven't heard D100. I wanted D100,too. But, simply gave it up due to size issue. - My room is about 600sq ft with 13ft ceiling.

Hope this helpful and get this if you can. And forget everything you've heard.

Thank you.

Purchased At:   Dealer

Submitted by juliana a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2007

Bottom Line:
As the gentleman below wrote about, this will produce any music in most beautiful way possible. (This means Proacs are not for studio monitoring at all IMHO...)
I was using B&W 801 and ATC SCM 50 until I hear these accidentally.
The speakers I used were great but I was getting tired of its cold and edge sound.

I heard a lot of good things about Proac but had no chance to hear these beauties. (I thought it's just box speakers but aesthetically it's truly a work of art.)

I am not talking too much about its sonic as the previous reviewer said well enough. However, one thing need to mention is GO FOR D80 if you are considering D38. It's a lot better in every way.(I was also considering D38 due to price but had to sell all my speakers to add fund to go to these. It's worth every penny once you get these.) If budget is tight, wait for the used one(though I only seen once on used market in con. USA.) as these will take forever to break in if you get new pair.

It's marvelous speaker which I will use until the end of my life. Listen to Wagner with these. Yo will know what I am saying. Enough said.

Price Paid:    $20000.00

Purchased At:   USA

Submitted by proacnut a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2006

Bottom Line:

It's interesting no ohter D80 owners left a review about this.

I am a korean and hope you understand my english.

I have been a long time Proac fan since I had an experience with the legendary Response 4 back in 1995. I was deeply moved by those speakers and then I owned 3.5 then upgraded to 3.8 (Big step up from 3.5) which I truly enjoyed for 4 years before I changed to these Response D80 which I completely feel perfect one for me who listen to all kinds of music having more than 3000 collections of LPs & CDs( but no rap & country... )and better than Response 4 in some ways. I auditioned more than 100 premium speakers (Wilson, B&W, KEF, Audio Physic, JBL, Linn, JM Lab, Harbeth, Spendor, Quad... It's possible to listen many brands all together at one place as Seoul has a couple of places having more than 100 audio shops located at one same building. However, I bought mine in U.S.) and used to have 20 pairs of famous speakers though I sold all of them.

It took really long to break in these D80 (Probably took 4 to 5 months with around 10 hours of running per week) but after the pain, these really started to produce beautifully no matter what... Like the 4, these have 2 of mids & 2of bass drivers each produced by Visaton & Volt not ATC unlike 4. Compared with 3.8, these produce absolutely better dynamics as Proac intended . I always loved the sound of 3.8 though it produced good dynamics but felt not enough for some extreme music. Otherwise it had fabulous musicality, detail, soundstage and PRAT.

Now these D80 fulfilled everything I wanted with great emotional aspect. These exceed all the area of 3.8. Also easy to drive han 3.8 though it's 4ohm. and bass from bottom port is really great as I place the D80 just 1ft from the rear wall while I had to place the 3.8 around 3ft.
I always test the gears with a full orchestra featuring female vocal. Many of audiophiles tend to test with acoustic music or vocal alone. No, I do not.

When I listen the music mentioned, I really concentrate overal sonic but try to listen every single instrument combined & vocal playing together. And for this reason, a lot of speakers failed to my test. Also I admit the speakers like Wilson or JM Lab produce such accurate and breathless sound but they are too cold for me to listen... But Proac always gave me natural sound yet accurate sonic. And it produce the each category of music the way it should be.(I went to concerts more than a couple of times in my life and I exactly know the real sounds of classical and Jazz.)

If you are into Prokofiev or Bruch, I highly recommend Kyung-hwa Chung's playing of those as well as Mahler's no.2 or 3 preferebly Walter's. Listening those with D80 really are changing my life as yours will be,too.

My highest recommendation to these superb speakers.

Purchased At:   Dealer